PDA

View Full Version : US Navy burial Flag Display Case??

John Terefenko
06-10-2020, 9:52 PM
Does anyone have made or seen any distinct flag cases with a Navy theme?? Something other than the traditional triangle shape box. Looking for ideas to go a little beyond the mundane. Any help would be appreciated and photos or links would be a huge help. Thanks.

Donald G. Burns
06-11-2020, 6:02 AM
Does anyone have made or seen any distinct flag cases with a Navy theme?? Something other than the traditional triangle shape box. Looking for ideas to go a little beyond the mundane. Any help would be appreciated and photos or links would be a huge help. Thanks.

Medals of America sell a few customizable flag style display shadow boxes.

https://www.medalsofamerica.com/combo-flag-and-shadow-box-case

or with custom laser engraving

https://www.medalsofamerica.com/custom-rectangle-combo-flag-case-for-5-x-9-flag-with-laser-engraving

They also sell medals and ribbons etc.

David Buchhauser
06-11-2020, 6:16 AM

Google is your friend.
David

Mike Kreinhop
06-11-2020, 8:30 AM
I ordered a combination flag and medal case for my Dad's burial flag and medals from All American Gifts (https://www.allamericangifts.com/combination-flag-case/certificate-flag-case.html). Engraving options include the branch of service, name, and dates of service.

Nicholas Lawrence
06-11-2020, 8:46 AM
I ordered a combination flag and medal case for my Dad's burial flag and medals from All American Gifts (https://www.allamericangifts.com/combination-flag-case/certificate-flag-case.html). Engraving options include the branch of service, name, and dates of service.

Mike, what is the quality? Is the "Oak" actually oak, or is it stained mystery material?

Mike Kreinhop
06-11-2020, 6:39 PM
Mike, what is the quality? Is the "Oak" actually oak, or is it stained mystery material?

I'll have to dig it out of storage and look at it, but as I recall, it was real oak when I looked at the inside edges of the boards.

Pete Costa
06-11-2020, 7:11 PM
Hi John,

I’m actually finishing up a flag case for my dad. I didn’t like what I saw online and also wanted it to be more personal.

The first picture shows a test organization of some of his USMC mementoes. They will go in the bottom part of the case on either a USMC red or a deep blue backing. If you don’t have anything similar, I’m sure you can buy appropriate items, perhaps even a large USN insignia. You can also get a small plaque engraved with his rank, dates of service, and/or duty stations.

The second picture is of the nearly finished case. Just need the glass and backer board. I used cherry with a shellac finish, but I think there are plenty of good options. Construction was relatively straightforward, and I’m happy to send more details or document the process as I make the next one (in the very near future).

I recognize this is a takeoff on the standard triangle, but I think the lower part as well as the handmade aspect helps set it apart from what you can order.

Pete

John Terefenko
06-11-2020, 8:33 PM
Thanks for the replys. I am in search mode now and also need to get more info on my Dads service records. He never wanted to talk about his service time and it sure does hurt some now. I should have pushed harder.

Mike Kreinhop
06-12-2020, 3:30 AM
Thanks for the replys. I am in search mode now and also need to get more info on my Dads service records. He never wanted to talk about his service time and it sure does hurt some now. I should have pushed harder.

My Dad didn't share much of his service history either, but I was able to coax out some of the highlights after I was near the end of my enlistment. After he died, I sent a request to the National Personnel Records Center (https://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals#nok) in St. Louis, MO for a complete medal set so I could assemble a memorial display for him. This is a one time free of charge benefit to qualified family members for all services, and all of the medals that would have been engraved with the recipient's name will be engraved as they were first awarded.

I didn't expect much, since he wasn't wearing too many ribbons in his last official photo. However, when the package arrived a few months later, it contained a lot of boxed medal sets, complete with devices for multiple awards. I was going to need a bigger box. In addition to the medal sets, the package included the award citations, and we were surprised to learn my Dad received two Bronze Stars and two Purple Hearts, one each for Korea and Vietnam. I doubt my late Mother knew about these.

Donald G. Burns
06-12-2020, 6:00 AM

I requested an updated copy of my DD214 from the Navy, thinking some additional medals might have been added since there's some new ones for things like a year at sea etc. The new DD214 left off my Vietnam service medal and good conduct medal, I think. I don't think they spent 5 minutes reviewing my records. So it went into the trash.

John Terefenko
06-12-2020, 11:01 AM
My Dad didn't share much of his service history either, but I was able to coax out some of the highlights after I was near the end of my enlistment. After he died, I sent a request to the National Personnel Records Center (https://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals#nok) in St. Louis, MO for a complete medal set so I could assemble a memorial display for him. This is a one time free of charge benefit to qualified family members for all services, and all of the medals that would have been engraved with the recipient's name will be engraved as they were first awarded.

I didn't expect much, since he wasn't wearing too many ribbons in his last official photo. However, when the package arrived a few months later, it contained a lot of boxed medal sets, complete with devices for multiple awards. I was going to need a bigger box. In addition to the medal sets, the package included the award citations, and we were surprised to learn my Dad received two Bronze Stars and two Purple Hearts, one each for Korea and Vietnam. I doubt my late Mother knew about these.

This is encouraging. I just sent the request a couple days ago. I also asked about the medals thing but figured that maybe a separate request so will have to see how things go. I understand it will take some time but want to get this done before I pass on so that it does stay in the family. I put it off long enough and with all that is going on today in the world it would be nice to have some true records. I have bits and pieces from from family members and as I said Dad never talked much about his service. I know he was on a Battleship but getting conflicting reports. So your post gives me some hope. I will save this thread. WWII Vets just are fading away and taking with them history. Thank you to all Vets and please understand as hard as it is to talk about these things please share with family.