PDA

View Full Version : Jet 16-32 Drum Sander

Izzy Charo
06-09-2020, 11:40 PM
I've had this machine for 7 or 8 years, and have put up with the difficult process of changing the sandpaper... the little clip it uses to secure the end of the paper is a terrible design, and makes it difficult to keep the paper taut. I'm also not thrilled with how the head keeps moving out of parallel with the conveyer belt.... Are there alternatives that folks like? Is the WoodMaster easier to change paper on?
Thanks for all advice-
Izzy

Mike Cutler
06-10-2020, 8:23 AM
I had the Performax, 16-32, version of that sander and loved it, but that clip was kind of a pain.
I moved onto a 27" dual drum sander, by the now defunct Steel City, and the difference is night and day.
Paper changes are still kind of a task, but not near as finicky as the 16-32. I have not converted mine to hook and loop paper, as many others have, and which is supposed to be a very easy paper change. Someday.

Izzy Charo
06-11-2020, 6:23 PM
Yes, the clip is a major drawback on this machine...has anyone found a replacement or work around to avoid using it?

Frank Drackman
06-11-2020, 6:47 PM
Sure, just the tape sandpaper down at the end. You lose about an inch of sanding width but never deal with the clip again.

Mike Henderson
06-11-2020, 11:26 PM
Sure, just the tape sandpaper down at the end. You lose about an inch of sanding width but never deal with the clip again.

Good suggestion. You could also do that when your sandpaper roll is a bit short but you want to use what's left.

Mike

George Bokros
06-12-2020, 6:54 AM
Has anyone converted this to use hook n loop sandpaper?

Jim Becker
06-12-2020, 8:46 AM
These clips are a challenging feature on more than just this particular sander...

Hook and Loop is an interesting thing, George, but I'd be wary for multiple reasons...heat from friction quickly destroying the hooks and a softer surface because of the layer of hook and loop.