PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic PM1500 Bandsaw

John Petsche
06-09-2020, 10:22 PM
I am looking to get a Powermatic PM1500 15" bandsaw and was hoping to get some feedback from woodworkers who have used this model (good or bad experience). I have a single car garage woodshop and previously I had a Laguna 14bx and sold it a year ago based on less than stellar performance.

Dave Sabo
06-10-2020, 7:26 AM
What were the performance issues form the 14bx you're hoping to eliminate with the powermatic ?

glenn bradley
06-10-2020, 9:15 AM
As Dave asked, specifics could be important to getting a good response. You are not really changing "classes" of bandsaw by much so the disappointments could be machine tier specific.

Robert Hayward
06-11-2020, 6:57 PM
I have a PM1500 and have no complaints about it. It replaced one of the Powermatic cast iron 14" bandsaws. I cut a lot of bowl blanks from tree log sections and wanted a stronger bandsaw with more cutting capacity under the guides. I really wanted a 20" bandsaw but the space requirement and cost caused me to look at the 1500 instead. Back when I was shopping for a bigger bandsaw I read way too many customer service complaints about Laguna and crossed them off my list. I also looked at a couple used 20" bandsaws but they were well used and I crossed them off my list. Other than the 1500 is a little smaller than I wanted I have no complaints.

Ron foley
06-11-2020, 10:04 PM
I have no experience with the Laguna. Have had a PM 1500 for several years and the only downside to it ( in my opinion ) is I wish the table was larger. IMO a great machine

John Petsche
06-12-2020, 9:33 AM
My experience was the Laguna bandsaw was under-powered when under load, where the PM 1500 has a larger 3HP motor. Also the quality control was not consistent on the Laguna, where on prior Powermatic machines I have owned they have always had excellent fit and finish.

I am hoping that any users of the PM-1500 can share their experience in using this machine overall with its performance and reliability.

Thanks!