PDA

View Full Version : Wood Burning - Toxicity

James Farrow
12-28-2005, 4:50 PM
Hi!

Can anyone tell me which woods emit toxicity when burned?

This would be in the application of burning in designs, pictures, patterns, etc... with a pyrography (wood burning) pen tool.

A discussion came up on burning in a pattern on a coffee table that someone made. They want to burn in some sort of design on the top of the table.

Someone mentioned that some woods can emit toxic fumes when burned.
They believe Walnut is one example.

I am aware that some wood which has been treated with chemicals can emit toxic fumes but I am inquiring about natural wood.

Anyone have any info whether this is true and therefore which woods should be avoided when it comes to pyrography?

Thanks,

James :)

Mark Rios
12-28-2005, 5:11 PM
Maybe try emailing this place:

http://www.firestarterpyrography.com/

Hope this helps.

James Farrow
12-28-2005, 5:16 PM
Thanks!

Actually I am asking on behalf of a Pyrography site. I was hoping there might be a wood expert here that would know.

Mark Rios
12-28-2005, 5:25 PM
lol sorry. Leave it to me to turn you right back from where you were. Silly me.

Jamie Buxton
12-28-2005, 5:31 PM
Practically every wood in North America has been burned as firewood, with no toxic consequences which I've ever heard of.

Mark Rios
12-28-2005, 6:03 PM
In thinking about this issue further, I'd have to think that the woods that have irritating dust MIGHT be a concern for sensitive people. BUT, in any case I have to believe that using a respirator would elimiinate any concerns as related to toxicity.

Bob Johnson2
12-28-2005, 6:13 PM
Don't know if smoke and dust are similiar in their effects, but the 2 worst for dust are red cedar and rosewood, that I know of anyway.

James Farrow
12-28-2005, 6:30 PM
Thanks!

I did some searching on google too. Seems all wood can be toxic at some level. Pressure treated is a definate no-no. And resinous woods are bad as it is the resin that gives on the toxicity when burned.