PDA

View Full Version : Please help me decide....

Jim Knauss
12-28-2005, 4:46 PM
Hello all,
Please help me decide which would be the most practical tool for me. ( I would like both! ) I want either a Leigh D4R or An Incra LS Super System. I'm thinking I would get more use out of the Incra system as it can be used for other routing functions as well. I will mainly be doing small boxes or an occasional blanket chest and drawers for dovetails. If I get the Incra will I still long for a Leigh? Wish I could win the lottery!:) Thanks for any help deciding one way or the other.

Jim Knauss

Brian Hale
12-28-2005, 4:53 PM
How about the Incra and a Keller dovetail jig? The keller should keep you happy till you "Must" do half blind DT....

Just a thought

Brian

Jim Knauss
12-28-2005, 5:00 PM
Thanks fo the idea Brian, Do you know if you can do half blinds with an incra system?
Jim

Vaughn McMillan
12-28-2005, 5:40 PM
Thanks fo the idea Brian, Do you know if you can do half blinds with an incra system?
Jim
I'm not Brian, but yes, the Incra system can do half-blind dovetails. In my limited experience, it's not quite as straightforward or fast as using a DT jig and hand-held router, but it is definitely doable. Personally, I think you'd get more mileage out of the Incra setup, since, as you already noted, it can do more than just dovetails.

- Vaughn

Brian Hale
12-28-2005, 5:43 PM
It looks like you should be able to cut half blind DT's; Stand the drawer side up on edge and run the drawer front face down on the table. I'm just guessing here and hopefully someone else can say for sure.

BTW, what they say about the Keller jig is true. It's fast to setup and very accurate. It took me less than 1 hour from the time i opened the box till i had my first set of DT's. A perfect match the first time. With just the little bit of experience i've got with it, i can setup and cut a perfect joint in ~15 mins.

Brian :)

Jim Knauss
12-28-2005, 5:51 PM
Thanks Vaughn, that's what I'm thinking and hoping.
Jim Knauss