PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt DW704 blade bolt issue (and more ?)

Zack Monroe
06-09-2020, 9:52 AM
So, I've had a Dewalt DW704 for decades. Lent it to a contractor, who went to change the blade and broke it. That is, he turned the blade bolt counterclockwise, used an impact wrench and something snapped.

The symptoms now are:

1. Bolt is still attached. Spins in both directions but does not come off or tighten.

2. Spindle lock does not stop the blade. Blade spins freely, by hand.

Can this be salvaged? Any help appreciated.

Matt Day
06-09-2020, 10:11 AM
Sounds like the contractor needs to buy you a new saw. Guessing something sheared behind the arbor. Looks like there was a recall on it btw.

Might as well take it apart and see for yourself. Not going to hurt it anymore.

Zack Monroe
06-09-2020, 1:15 PM
Found the exploded parts diagram. Since the blade bolt can't come off, I'll have to remove the motor side and get to the part from there. Hope I don't lose anything taking it off, there's a lot going on there. Some parts in the general area of the fault are unavailable.

Dewalt repair service looks like it'll cost $155 or less. That's for a total refurbishing as well. They're also local to me so maybe that's the best route. They'll either repair or replace with another unit.

Matt Day
06-09-2020, 1:18 PM
I hope the contractor (what person calls themself a contractor and uses an impact wrench to put a blade on a chop saw?!) is paying for this.