PDA

View Full Version : Disqualified itty bitty contest entry

Michael Stafford
12-28-2005, 4:26 PM
I had started a segmented bowl for the itty bitty contest and when I read the rules it became apparent I was not in the class necessary to hang with all the true itty bitty turners. So I just let my little segmented bowl sit until I had some more time. It warmed up and I decided to finish it.

In bubinga, this staved constructed segmented bowl is 2 5/8" in diameter and 1 5/8" tall. I managed to get the wall thickness down to about an 1/8" without ripping this little bowl apart.

In one picture I included a quarter for reference. I know all you itty bitty turners will scoff at my efforts but it was fun and I wanted to share. Thanks for looking.....:D

Dennis Peacock
12-28-2005, 4:38 PM
Very nice Big Mike!!!!! I really like the color and the segments are beautiful. You did real good.!!!!:D

Bill Stevener
12-28-2005, 4:56 PM
Hi Mike,

That is one very nice bowl for its size and I can fully appreciate the effort and time in it. Quite tough to get segmented work down to that dimension. I see some on the 1/2" scale and smaller now and then, but the turner must have been schooled in China.
I do have one question, but it could be possible that I am not seeing it fully, or counting all of the segments, I see 17 segments. Is the count I see correct? Just an odd number, tough to do.
Shut in the small shop for the winter, I am working on mines, will have to try something segmented next.

Thanks for showing a nice piece.

Bill.>>>>>>>>:)

Keith Burns
12-28-2005, 5:00 PM
Big Mike, I've been waiting for this one, and it was worth the wait. It is absolutely stunning. Form and finish are perfect. Joints are perfect. It is obvious you spent some time on it and it was worth it.:) :) :)

Bob Noles
12-28-2005, 5:02 PM
Mike,

That bowl is simply beautiful and nothing short of that. Itty bitty or not, it is still a winner!

Carole Valentine
12-28-2005, 5:18 PM
Darn, Mike! How DO you do that???? Do you cut those tiny pieces on the table saw? Super little bowl!!!:)

Andy Hoyt
12-28-2005, 5:22 PM
Mike - Looks great! Save it for the Itty Biggy Contest.

Michael Stafford
12-28-2005, 5:25 PM
Bill, you counted correctly. I was aiming for 16 segments and had made adjustments so that at 1/2 way around I was at 180 degrees but obviously something moved because at the end I needed another segment. I fiddled with the saw and cut one to fit and that made 17. I can guarantee that was a fluke and not done on purpose....Good eyes!;)

Carole, I cut these little pieces on the compound miter saw using double sided tape to hold them in place after the cut is made. Some split while removing them from the tape but I just cut a lot of extras. As I said in responding to Bill, the best laid plans don't always work out. I was motivated by the contest but unfortunately did not think small enough.:p :o

I bow to the real itty bitty turners!!!!;)

John Hart
12-28-2005, 5:48 PM
NOT disqualified! Perhaps we are witnessing a new standard. Beautifully done Mike!

Dick Parr
12-28-2005, 6:45 PM
That is really well done Mike. If you are ever making one and get the chance to take some pictures as you go. Please share them with us so we can watch a master at work and maybe learn something:confused: . Thanks.

Gary DeWitt
12-28-2005, 7:08 PM
Very nice bowl, nice tight joints and beartiful wood.
I'm wondering, since the height of the bowl doesn't exceed 8/4, if you cut the segments from an 8/4 slab, as in this quick sketch?
The staves would be viewed on end in the sketch, or the same as looking down on your bowl when it was done.

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2005, 7:22 PM
Looks good Mike. I like segmented bowls. The finish looks great.

Ernie Nyvall
12-28-2005, 7:22 PM
You are a patient man Mike. Great job on the bowl.

Ernie

Travis Stinson
12-28-2005, 8:25 PM
OUTSTANDING! I got my tape out to get an idea of the sizing..........NO WAY could I cut the segments, glue them up and turn such a small bowl!:eek: Of the different segmented styles, the staved construction is my favorite. Super job Mike!:D

Mark Singer
12-28-2005, 8:27 PM
Michael, it is beautiful, but size matters...in Itty Bitty:confused:

Jim Ketron
12-28-2005, 8:29 PM
Nice Bowl Mike!
Just beautiful bud!

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-28-2005, 9:03 PM
May not be IttyBitty, but it is still a wonderful bowl.

Bruce

Michael Stafford
12-28-2005, 9:07 PM
Gary, I cut the pieces exactly as you have them drawn. That said, if you are doing really fine segmented work you would not want to flip the pieces over so the grain would be going all in the same direction. In that case you would have to cut twice as many pieces. In some of the finer pieces of segmented work I have seen that is one of the small things that really makes a difference in the appearance of the piece.

Mark, indeed size does matter, thus the appellation "Big Mike"...LOL:p :eek: :D

Mark Cothren
12-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Big Mike, that is fan-tas-tic! Love your segmented work.

Thanks for the pics!