PDA

View Full Version : Cutting the blank of the bottom of a Wood stemmed Wine Glass

Clarence Martinn
06-07-2020, 1:25 PM
Ok, trying to make this project go a little faster > Thinking production speed !!:D

Going to be making some Wood stemmed Wine Glasses. The bottom base will be one type of wood, and the middle part of the wine glass you grab onto, will be another type of Hardwood. The Glass will fit into the top of the middle section.

Question: Since the bottom base will be round , and no more than 4/4 or 5/4 material( Whichever I can find that looks the best! ) , could I just cut out pre rounded pieces using a LARGE Hole Saw on a drill or Drill Press Thinking of using either a 3 1/2 or 4 inch Hole Saw to do the work of cutting out the pieces . Then I would just turn the cut out pieces to the shape I want on the Lathe

Think that would work ???

John K Jordan
06-07-2020, 3:12 PM
Ok, trying to make this project go a little faster > Thinking production speed !!:D

Going to be making some Wood stemmed Wine Glasses. The bottom base will be one type of wood, and the middle part of the wine glass you grab onto, will be another type of Hardwood. The Glass will fit into the top of the middle section.

Question: Since the bottom base will be round , and no more than 4/4 or 5/4 material( Whichever I can find that looks the best! ) , could I just cut out pre rounded pieces using a LARGE Hole Saw on a drill or Drill Press Thinking of using either a 3 1/2 or 4 inch Hole Saw to do the work of cutting out the pieces . Then I would just turn the cut out pieces to the shape I want on the Lathe

Think that would work ???

You can round the blank any way you want, hole saw, bandsaw, jigsaw, trained woodchuck. I prefer a bandsaw. But I don't get in a hurry or do production work.

I don't like working with a large hole saw unless I have to, especially on thicker material. You can easily round it on the lathe too, mount the square blank with some method and cut into the side grain with a gouge, parting tool, etc. A parting tool would be pretty quick.

JKJ

Alex Zeller
06-07-2020, 3:40 PM
I use hole saws for making button blanks from 2x2 material all the time. The key is to be able to clamp it down firmly. Hole saws have a limited depth. It doesn't sound like you will have to worry but I've even made blanks where I was only able to go about 3/4 of the way into the blank. I simply break off the outside of the section I cut with the hole saw I'll then put it in the chuck and remove the square edges and either flatten the face so I can glue a sacrificial piece of wood or a mortise for the jaws.

Dick Strauss
06-08-2020, 7:48 PM
You can always buy dowels and chop cookies off the dowels if the grain is oriented right for your needs