PDA

View Full Version : Loose tenon material

Matthew Curtis
06-07-2020, 10:57 AM
If one were to make there own loose tenons for a Domino or Beadlock, what material would be best suited for the job?
Or is what ever in the scrap bin the best choice?

John TenEyck
06-07-2020, 1:58 PM
I use scrap wood from my project. That way there is no issue with different moisture contents or variations in seasonal expansion/contraction. I said scrap wood, but I only use straight grained, defect free wood.

John

Andy D Jones
06-07-2020, 2:12 PM
A wood at least as strong/hard as the material being joined, and not oily, so it takes glue well.

Pecan and Hickory come to mind for strong, hard, loose tenon material, and you can probably source it more cheaply than something like hard maple, which would also work well, assuming you want to build up a stockpile of tenons for use with anything.

But the same wood species you are joining will always work for the tenons (unless it's MDF, etc.).

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Richard Coers
06-07-2020, 2:21 PM
I used hundreds of feet of loose tenon material before the Domino and Beadlock were ever invented. Poplar was my most common, also soft maple. But as mentioned, any other kiln dried wood will work. I prefer a little softer or more porous for the best glue bond. Really hard and dense wood, along with too tight of fit would make me nervous for max glue bond. Never used plywood or mdf.