PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Shiverdecker - Why the Rikon?

Chuck Hayes
12-28-2005, 3:51 PM
Bruce;

I did not want to hijack your thread about your new Rikon Lathe, but I have to ask what it was about the Rikon that made you give up your Jet? I have been researching minis and it seems that everyone suggests the Jet above the Rikon. I even went to visit the new Woodcraft in Merrillville Indiana to look at the Rikon and the salesman steered me away from the Rikon in a rather vigorous maner. I am looking to purchase my lathe the first week of february when they have their "Grand opening" but now I am even more unsure of which to get.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Chuck

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-28-2005, 9:33 PM
Evenin' Chuck. I just answered that question in the other thread. One thing I didn't add there was that the Jet weighs about 66 lbs and the Rikon Weighs 88.

If you can try them both, do so. That way you can make a more informed decision, because What I like might not be important to you and vice versa.

Bruce

Chuck Hayes
12-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks Bruce!

I have never used a lathe before so I don't know what to look for except for what I read here. It would probably make sense to try them both out but I would not know good from bad. I was looking at the Rikon for the exact reasons you mentioned and figure I might just go with it and hope that if I am completely unhappy, Woodcraft might let me exchange it for a different model. It will boil down to difference in price in the end as I need to get tools, pen turning equipment, face sheild, grinder, etc along with it.

Thanks again
Chuck