View Full Version : Vice Recommendations

Cliff Ahlgren
12-28-2005, 3:50 PM
A couple months ago I decided to start weaning myself off powertools because of the dust, noise, hazard and fact that they are alot less child-safe. I have a 5-year old who insists on participating in whatever I'm doing, so I built a bench big enough for him to have his own little vice on the far end where he can use some of the less dangerous tools.

Anyway, I recently purchased a large "Shop Fox" quick release (lever type) vice to go with the new bench, and it does not appear to be holding up. When pressure is applied to the screw, the "quick release" mechanisim which maintains contact with the screw pulls loose and the jaws will not stay firmly shut. I can still get it to work most of the time by holding the "quick release" lever down while tightening the screw, but this is becoming irritating.

Therefore, I am considering a better vice and moving the Shop Fox elsewhere on the bench for occasional use. Jorgensen vices are available locally and I'm wondering if these things will hold up a little better. Also, the Jorgensen "quick release" mechanism involves backing off the screw rather than using a lever and I'm not sure how easy this would be to operate.

Also, there are Wilton vices available around here which have a removeable outer jaw which tilts to irregular angles. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any good way to attach wooden surfaces to the jaws other than with magnets.

So, I'm wondering what your counsel would be: A Jorgensen, Wilton or another (this time more expensive) version of the lever-type 'quick release" vice? Any comments would be much appreciated.

Maurice Metzger
12-28-2005, 5:10 PM
Hi Cliff, you can do a search for past discussions, there's quite a few. You could consider the vises offered by Lee Valley and Highland Hardware, here's a previous discussion:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25459

Kurt Loup
12-28-2005, 5:16 PM
[QUOTE=Cliff Ahlgren]Also, there are Wilton vices available around here which have a removeable outer jaw which tilts to irregular angles. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any good way to attach wooden surfaces to the jaws other than with magnets.
QUOTE]

Actually, the Wilton vises have holes drilled into the front face to mount a wooden jaw (see front left corner). The tilting jaw removes easily by pulling out a pin. I removed the tilting jaw on my bench.

Kurt

http://www.loup-garou.net/images/oiled.jpg

Brian Hale
12-28-2005, 8:05 PM
I bought the Anant from Highland Hardware a couple months ago and i'm real pleased with it.

Here's my review if you're intrested.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26715&highlight=anant

Brian :)

Doug Ketellapper
12-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Heh, "vice" is one of the most unfortunate misspellings of vise. I am sure many more of us could recommend a vice than could recommend a vise. (Put me down for old tools and red wine)

Regarding the Anant vise. I have an Anant #4 plane, and it is pure junk (this was before I discovered the wonderful world of old planes). I imagine their vises are better since there's less to go wrong with these?

Ted Shrader
12-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi Cliff -

Welcome to the Creek. A friendly place to hang out and discuss the "weather". :)

I have three Wiltons that are doing well. Was fortunate enough to find them on that giant (yet un-named) auction site.

Ted

Dave Anderson NH
12-29-2005, 9:27 AM
One suggestion to deal with the attachment of a wood face to any vise.......

You can purchase flexible magnet in sheets or rolls in both .032 and in .062 inch thicknesses both with and without pressure sensetive adhesive on one side. I made a set of removable maple jaws backed with the .032 for when I travel to places where the vises don't have wooden facings. This materail is readily available with a 1-2 day delivery from both McMaster-Carr and MSCIndustrial Supply. Not very expensive either.

Cliff Ahlgren
12-29-2005, 1:50 PM
Actually, the Wilton vises have holes drilled into the front face to mount a wooden jaw (see front left corner). The tilting jaw removes easily by pulling out a pin. I removed the tilting jaw on my bench.

Kurt
[/quote]

Well, I just picked up that exact blue-colored Wilton vice at Woodcraft. They had a bunch of vices set up and that one was the smoothest in operation. It is indeed drilled and tapped for wood jaw faces, including the removeable tilting jaw and the handle-operated quick release mechanism seemed very easy to manipulate.

Thanks for all the comments gents. Tonight I'll get this thing mounted and see how it goes.

Bernhard Kühnen
12-29-2005, 3:15 PM
I can recommend the good old German vises. They are sold by Lie-Nielsen. Certainly not the cheapest:eek: but among the best.
They should be part of the famous Ulmia benches.

Bernhard

Tim Sproul
12-29-2005, 5:02 PM
Break out the Woodcraft 25% off one item coupon and get their patternmaker's vise.........

Anyone guess where I'm heading soon?

:)

Bruce Page
12-29-2005, 5:29 PM
Cliff, I've had the Jorgensen on my bench for several years without any problems. The quick release works quite well.

Jeff Horton
12-29-2005, 8:48 PM
How about something totally different? A leg vice.
http://www.kudzupatch.com/temp/bench_finished.jpg

I have an old columbia on the end and I use this one at least as much as it. And it's cheap to build.