PDA

View Full Version : Lie Nielsen No 9 Iron Miter Plane Types

Michael Boyet
06-05-2020, 11:05 PM
Can anyone provide little help with some background to these 2 no 9 iron miter planes from Lie Nielsen, and their differences, please?. I got these from a friend of a friend and I plan to keep one and sell the other. I am not sure how to determine which one though. One has an extra cherry knob, the other has no threaded insert for one.

434489 434490

Anything helps, thanks!

Andrew Hughes
06-06-2020, 2:00 AM
The one without a hole for the knob is the newer of the two.
They make a attachment called a hotdog no joke. I have the newer model and a hotdog attachment.:o
I recommend you keep the one that’s has a side square to the base. Or the best if the two.
Nice find nice friends.

Jim Koepke
06-06-2020, 8:55 AM
The top one in the images appears to have a hot dog.

When my #62 was purchased a hot dog was bought with it. It can be used on either side for left or right hand shooting.

There are a few shown on ebay completed listings sold from $735.52 to $850. There are also some that didn't sell. One listed at $1,000 the other got up to $650 but didn't meet the reserve.

My feeling is the knob may cause more stress on the body in use than the hot dog.

jtk

Michael Boyet
06-06-2020, 9:54 AM
Tanks! In that case I think I’m leaning towards keeping the one with the hot dog

Tony Zaffuto
06-06-2020, 10:28 AM
I might have to leave my #9 go! Since I got the Veritas miter plane, I hardly use the #9, as the Veritas just works so much better.

David Carroll
06-08-2020, 9:58 AM
Mine has the side knob and I bought the hot dog as well. I actually use both! I push my thumb up against the knob and curl my fingers around the hot dog. I use it for small thin wood, and if it's good and sharp it works great. If I needed to shoot wider, thicker, stock, I'd opt for the LV or LN Shooting planes, mostly for the skew blade.

DC

Bob Jones 5443
06-08-2020, 12:54 PM
Naïve question: these are discontinued precursors to the No. 51 shooting plane?

Tony Zaffuto
06-08-2020, 1:06 PM
Naïve question: these are discontinued precursors to the No. 51 shooting plane?

The LN #9 is an entirely different plane than the #51 shooting plane, based on the Stanley #9. The Stanley #51 also have available a cast iron shooting board.

You may want to do a web search for "The Superior Works" or "Patrick's Blood and Gore", which are Patrick Leach's superb listing (and his color commentary) about Stanley planes.

Jim Koepke
06-08-2020, 2:31 PM
When my LN #62 was purchased the #9 was very much considered. My recollection is the #62 has a lower angle of attack which tipped my decision to the #62.

You may want to do a web search for "The Superior Works" or "Patrick's Blood and Gore", which are Patrick Leach's superb listing (and his color commentary) about Stanley planes.

My understanding of the TOS allows the posting of this link > http://www.supertool.com

This is to the first page. Go about three pages in before bookmarking.

jtk

Tony Zaffuto
06-08-2020, 3:22 PM
When my LN #62 was purchased the #9 was very much considered. My recollection is the #62 has a lower angle of attack which tipped my decision to the #62.

My understanding of the TOS allows the posting of this link > http://www.supertool.com

This is to the first page. Go about three pages in before bookmarking.

jtk

I also have an LN #62, and I use it more than the #9 for shooting, but use the LV miter shooting plane more than all of them! The LV is just so comfortable in hand!

Jack Frederick
06-09-2020, 6:06 PM
I bought a Silicone Bronze #9 back in 99. It has never been used or sharpened. I hadn’t either thought of using it or selling it, but 21 yrs later maybe I should get with one or the other😉

Gary Cunningham
06-09-2020, 7:32 PM
The LN #9 is an entirely different plane than the #51 shooting plane, based on the Stanley #9. The Stanley #51 also have available a cast iron shooting board.

Don’t type blood and gore .com

That is NOT a hand tool website.
:eek:

Jim Koepke
06-10-2020, 1:28 AM
Don’t type blood and gore .com

That is NOT a hand tool website.
:eek:

Eeeeew! Thanks for the warning.

Mr. Leach's monthly tools for sale letter contains a lot of information about tools.

Start here > http://www.supertool.com

jtk