PDA

View Full Version : The stench of decomp.

Rob Luter
06-05-2020, 5:06 PM
Something made its way under my deck and died. It’s really putting the damper on Friday cocktail hour. It looks like I have an unpleasant fishing trip on my slate for tomorrow.

Tom M King
06-05-2020, 6:20 PM
An old farmer's trick is VicksVapoRub under your nose.

Myk Rian
06-05-2020, 6:32 PM
Years ago I shot a ground hog. It took off running to next door. Should have used a 9mm instead of a 22.
Several days later Russ was pulling up deck boards to find where the stink was coming from. It took us about an hour to find it.

Jim Allen
06-05-2020, 6:45 PM
Several months ago a rat got under our manufactured house and died, the stench was awful, we got it out right away (a few days) but the stench lasted over two week even with several order absorbers in the room. Luckily it was under our guest room. The stench obviosly penatrated the insulation in our belly warp.

John K Jordan
06-05-2020, 6:47 PM
Something made its way under my deck and died. It’s really putting the damper on Friday cocktail hour. It looks like I have an unpleasant fishing trip on my slate for tomorrow.

That's not fun. Time to get out that full face respirator with gas/organic cartridge filters. Maybe be glad it's not a dead skunk.

25 years ago my wife said there was a bad smell in the laundry room in the basement. A few days later she said there was a REALLY bad smell. I got one of the boys to locate it - coming from a window well with a rebar grate covered by a low deck with no access. It turned out our cat was catching squirrels and dropping them into the window well for safe keeping. I fished eight dead squirrels out, put them in a bucket, and threw the bucket down into the woods.

Actually, I was proud of the cat. A cat has to be a pretty good hunter to catch even one squirrel. Once I watched it climb a tree and sneak out on a limb and grab a squirrel by the tail. The squirrel got away. The cat scampered down the tree and brought me a big tuff of squirrel tail fur.

JKJ

Edwin Santos
06-05-2020, 6:50 PM
Based on the title, I was assuming the thread was going to be about politics.

:rolleyes:
Edwin

Tom M King
06-05-2020, 7:04 PM
Smells about the same.

Jeff Bartley
06-06-2020, 1:06 PM
Smells about the same.
Where's the 'like' button when ya need it! 😁

Rob Luter
06-06-2020, 4:39 PM
Based on the title, I was assuming the thread was going to be about politics.

:rolleyes:
Edwin

Don't get me started......

Prashun Patel
06-06-2020, 5:17 PM
So, Rob, what was it???

Rob Luter
06-06-2020, 7:40 PM
So, Rob, what was it???

We didn’t find it. Looked under the deck with a five cell mag light and saw nothing except a couple of woodchuck holes. We’ll be throwing some mothballs in those. I may have to pull up a few deck planks.

Clarence Martinn
06-08-2020, 6:40 PM
I got that beat !!:D

Picture a 4 Ounce bottle of PURE SKUNK ESSENCE and a 4 Ounce bottle of Long Distance Coyote lure both falling off your Table Saw , busting open; when it hit the concrete Basement floor. I had just set the open box on the Table Saw , to get space cleared to put the lures in the Cabinet. I had to move 1 board , JUST 1 BOARD OUT OF THE WAY!!! Swing the Board back , and the next thing I heard , was the sound of glass breaking as they hit the Concrete ! The Basement had a bit of a smell for the next Week !!:rolleyes:

John K Jordan
06-08-2020, 8:44 PM

Picture a 4 Ounce bottle of PURE SKUNK ESSENCE and a 4 Ounce bottle of Long Distance Coyote lure ...

Do you set traps for coyote? I have some large live traps and bought coyote lure, bobcat urine, and some other things but darn, for some reason the coyotes don't come around here. Maybe it's the llamas.

Caught plenty of other things in the traps, though.

JKJ

Lee DeRaud
06-09-2020, 1:38 PM
Picture a 4 Ounce bottle of PURE SKUNK ESSENCE and a 4 Ounce bottle of Long Distance Coyote lure both falling off your Table Saw , busting open; when it hit the concrete Basement floor.(Adds to list of things that should be kept in plastic bottles.)

Rollie Meyers
06-14-2020, 9:51 PM

Picture a 4 Ounce bottle of PURE SKUNK ESSENCE and a 4 Ounce bottle of Long Distance Coyote lure both falling off your Table Saw , busting open; when it hit the concrete Basement floor. I had just set the open box on the Table Saw , to get space cleared to put the lures in the Cabinet. I had to move 1 board , JUST 1 BOARD OUT OF THE WAY!!! Swing the Board back , and the next thing I heard , was the sound of glass breaking as they hit the Concrete ! The Basement had a bit of a smell for the next Week !!:rolleyes:

What does one use "PURE SKUNK ESSENCE" for? Only thing I can come up is evil deeds & have no desire to do that to someone. :D That would cause a lot of industrial English to be used by me if that accident were to occur to me & then more profanity while cleaning up. Yuck.

Mike Wilkins
06-14-2020, 9:55 PM
Former next door neighbor had a cat that was a prolific hunter. Rabbits, rats, birds she got them all. Wouldn't eat them; just dropped the prize on their deck. Noticed a smell each time I went out the door and found she had left me a prize. Cat later disappeared so I figured something got a hold of her.

Perry Hilbert Jr
06-14-2020, 10:59 PM
Was fishing with a co worker in the Chesapeake bay. we were anchored and just enjoying the day bottom fishing a channel when a terrible odor started and slowly got worse. We climbed up on the front and looked around and then noticed something large bobbing in the water. it was drifting right towards us and the stench was awful. As it got closer, it was so ragged looking that it was hard to tell what it was. This thing was about 7 feet long and huge. The co worker pushed it away from the boat with an oar and it rolled over. Four long legs with hooves. A dead cow. The underside was covered with blue crabs. Co worker grabbed his net and started scooping up crabs. He must have got 3 dozen crabs off the thing. He finally let the thing drift on by and off into the distance. I didn't take any of the crabs, I thought they stank too,. A month later, we were starting a meeting at work and the over night news about a woman that fell off a boat in the bay and disappeared came up. His remark, is wow, the crabs are gonna be extra good this summer. I could not eat crabs for years after that.

John K Jordan
06-15-2020, 9:30 AM
Former next door neighbor had a cat that was a prolific hunter. Rabbits, rats, birds she got them all. Wouldn't eat them; just dropped the prize on their deck. Noticed a smell each time I went out the door and found she had left me a prize. Cat later disappeared so I figured something got a hold of her.

Maybe the cat ended up on the deck of someone with a bigger cat.

When I was a kid we had a cat like that. Every morning there would be a sacrificial offering on the porch in front of the door. Plenty of rabbits, snakes, and such but what I remember most was a full-sized ring neck pheasant one morning. What a hunter. I kept expecting her to drag up a deer or a neighbor's dog but that didn't happen.

JKJ

Jim Koepke
06-15-2020, 11:40 AM
Our cat brings his kill in for us. Last week he brought in a large mouse. We were praising him and while going to get a glove to dispose of the mouse he picked it up and dropped it in his food dish and then he ate the whole thing.

Yesterday he brought in a small hare. It was taken from him before he could eat it. He wasn't real happy about that. Less than a half hour later he brought in a mouse and started to eat it before we could take it from him.

He is quite a cat. Candy thinks it is funny that he likes to go on walks with me.

jtk

John K Jordan
06-15-2020, 5:21 PM
Our cat brings his kill in for us. Last week he brought in a large mouse. We were praising him and while going to get a glove to dispose of the mouse he picked it up and dropped it in his food dish and then he ate the whole thing.

Yesterday he brought in a small hare. It was taken from him before he could eat it. He wasn't real happy about that. Less than a half hour later he brought in a mouse and started to eat it before we could take it from him.

He is quite a cat. Candy thinks it is funny that he likes to go on walks with me.

jtk

A friend said a cat that catches its own food is money in the bank.

Clarence Martinn
06-15-2020, 5:55 PM
What does one use "PURE SKUNK ESSENCE" for? Only thing I can come up is evil deeds & have no desire to do that to someone. :D That would cause a lot of industrial English to be used by me if that accident were to occur to me & then more profanity while cleaning up. Yuck.

Fox and Coyote Trapping. Skunk Essence really calls them in !!

Mike Soaper
06-15-2020, 9:41 PM
Was fishing with a co worker in the Chesapeake bay. we were anchored and just enjoying the day bottom fishing a channel when a terrible odor started and slowly got worse. We climbed up on the front and looked around and then noticed something large bobbing in the water. it was drifting right towards us and the stench was awful. As it got closer, it was so ragged looking that it was hard to tell what it was. This thing was about 7 feet long and huge. The co worker pushed it away from the boat with an oar and it rolled over. Four long legs with hooves. A dead cow. The underside was covered with blue crabs. Co worker grabbed his net and started scooping up crabs. He must have got 3 dozen crabs off the thing. He finally let the thing drift on by and off into the distance. I didn't take any of the crabs, I thought they stank too,. A month later, we were starting a meeting at work and the over night news about a woman that fell off a boat in the bay and disappeared came up. His remark, is wow, the crabs are gonna be extra good this summer. I could not eat crabs for years after that.

I've heard of using bull lips for crab bait, but never a whole cow