PDA

View Full Version : Do misting systems get clogged by hard water?

Stephen Tashiro
06-05-2020, 3:06 PM
Do outdoor misting systems get clogged by hard water deposits?

Kev Williams
06-05-2020, 3:18 PM
Yeah, but soaking the nozzles in some 6% cleaning vinegar occasionally should keep them clean.

Roger Feeley
06-08-2020, 3:22 PM
My moms priest used to be at a church in los alamos. The science guys there set up a mister on the input side of the ac condenser. I asked him about minerals and he said that they de-ionize the water.

mike stenson
06-08-2020, 3:52 PM
Yeah, but soaking the nozzles in some 6% cleaning vinegar occasionally should keep them clean.

This. Mine would need to be soaked several times throughout the 'season' unless I filtered the water.

Jim Koepke
06-08-2020, 4:47 PM
My misting devices were purchased years ago. The drip irrigation manufacturing company that made them doesn't seem to be in business these days.

Fortunately they can be taken apart and easily cleaned.

A good filtration system can help to prevent dissolved solids from getting into the devices.

jtk

Ole Anderson
06-09-2020, 11:19 AM
"Filtration" will not remove dissolved minerals from the water. You need a water softener, de-ionizer (an elaborate water softener) or a reverse osmosis system.

mike stenson
06-09-2020, 11:47 AM
"Filtration" will not remove dissolved minerals from the water. You need a water softener, de-ionizer (an elaborate water softener) or a reverse osmosis system.

The filters do extend the time between soakings, that's about it.

Kev Williams
06-09-2020, 2:19 PM

Ask anyone in a dry state using swamp coolers what happens when using soft water in the things. The white crust buildup is incredible...

Within this discussion, I was/am assuming ordinary tap water is being used for the misters, for outdoor people-cooling or for misting refer AC condenser cooling fins... But the OP hasn't let us in on the purpose of the misting as of yet :)

Jim Koepke
06-11-2020, 2:11 AM

Correct. Duh, my comment should have said suspended solids instead of dissolved solids.

jtk

Jim Becker
06-11-2020, 8:47 AM
Water really does affect these things. Different device, but I totally gave up on using a humidifier on our HVAC system because it maintaining it due to the effects of minerals in our water just got to be over-the-top.