PDA

View Full Version : Why is it called a "Press?"

Mike Henderson
12-28-2005, 2:42 PM
In some parts of the country, a piece of furniture that might be called an armoire or a wardrobe in other parts of the country is called a "press". Does anyone know why it's sometimes called a "press?" In other words, do you have any idea where the name comes from. I'm sure it has nothing to do with pressing (ironing) clothes but I don't have any idea where the name comes from. Could it be a corruption of some non-English word?

Mike

Michael Perata
12-28-2005, 3:30 PM
Mike

Dictionary.com has:
a. To reshape or make compact by applying steady force; compress.
b. To iron (clothing, for example).

11. Chiefly Northeastern U.S. An upright closet or case used for storing clothing, books, or other articles.

I am going to guess the storage unit is where clothes are stored, one on top of another to be compacted/compressed - hence, a press.

Frank Chaffee
12-28-2005, 4:33 PM
I do not know the whys of it, but from “The Complete Dictionary of Wood” by Thomas Corkhill:

3. A cupboard for clothes, books, etc.

4. A dwarf cupboard or wardrobe for linen.

5. A set of bookshelves in a library.

Frank

Mike Henderson
12-28-2005, 6:23 PM
Someone once told me that the term "press" might come from a French word something like "pressoir" (probably spelled wrong). Are there any French speakers out there that might be able to comment on a possible French origin for calling a wardrobe a "press"? Is there a French word something like "pressoir" that might have something to do with storage of clothes?

Mike

Ed Breen
12-29-2005, 4:21 PM
In my childhood they were referred to as "clothes presses"!

Chris Fite
12-29-2005, 11:50 PM
The English word press is from presser, Old French.

Mike Henderson
12-30-2005, 12:47 AM
Chris - thanks for the information. Do you have any idea why a wardrobe would have the French verb "presser" associated with it?

It looks like the meaning of "presser" is essentially the same as the English verb "press".

Mike

Steve Schoene
12-30-2005, 6:12 AM
I am building a reproduction of a book press and I don't know. I spoke to a curator of furniture at Colonial Williamsburg, and she didn't know either.