PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic PM3000 Motor Bearings

Mike Iannone
06-04-2020, 10:55 AM
I have an older Powermatic 72A cabinet saw with a PM3000 5hp motor in it. Lately, I've noticed a not good noise coming from it and have narrowed it down to a motor bearing towards the fan end as the likely culprit.

I called Powermatic and they were no help providing specs or a part number for the motor bearings. Does anyone have any guidance here on the bearing part numbers or how to determine the correct bearings?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Matt Day
06-04-2020, 11:04 AM
The way to determine the bearings is to take apart the motor and read the numbers. that’s really the only sure fire way of knowing.

But, if you look at the motor tag it might give you a model number that you could Google and find the motor schematic which might include the bearing numbers. i’m guessing you want to take the motor apart, take the old bearings off and put the new bearings in the same time without having downtime right?

Edit to add that you should have a bearing puller to do the job right.

Erik Loza
06-04-2020, 11:07 AM
I would pull the motor and take it to a local motor shop. Nothing tricky; any motor shop should be able to handle that. Maybe get fresh capacitors while you have it out. Good luck.

Erik

Bill Dufour
06-04-2020, 11:12 AM
The motor plate may have the bearings numbers on it. Look for a four digit number off by itself. Most likely two different size bearings. Get sealed not shielded.
Powermatic did not make the motor and they probably sourced it from several suppliers over the years. Plus they come in more then one horsepower range. So the motor bearings could be anything. I would not expect Powermatic to know.
Bill D.

Tom M King
06-05-2020, 7:59 AM
There are not many things I don't work on myself, since good mechanics are rare around here. Fortunately, I do have a great electric motor man, so electric motors go right to him. The last time I needed bearings, in a used Baldor I had just bought, I asked him how much, as I set the motor on his bench. He told me the amount, and when I got back from the ATM machine with cash, he had it ready to go.

I most likely have any tools I would need for the job, but since you needed to ask, I'll repeat what Eric said.

Mike Iannone
06-05-2020, 2:31 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have reached out to a couple motor shops in my area...if anyone has a resource in southern New Jersey they would recommend, I'm all ears.

Plan B will be to crack it open myself and try to source the bearings. Thanks again!

Matt Day
06-05-2020, 2:44 PM
Use this an an opportunity to do it yourself and use the money you’d pay someone to do it to buy a bearing puller. You’ll still come out ahead of paying someone.

Bruce Wrenn
06-06-2020, 9:07 PM
Use this an an opportunity to do it yourself and use the money you’d pay someone to do it to buy a bearing puller. You’ll still come out ahead of paying someone.

Or stop by your local auto parts store, and "borrow a bearing puller. On fan end, most likely there will be a 6203, while the shaft end will have a larger bearing. I buy most of my bearings from Fastenal, as their store is three miles from my house. Yes they are Chinese bearing, but whose isn't these days? I got a 6203 in tensioner pulley on daughter's Honda Civic that has over 300K on it. Cost me a whopping $1.99 at time of install. Replaced a $17.99 NAPA bearing which lasted less than three months.