PDA

View Full Version : Finally warm enough for some shop time!

Carole Valentine
12-28-2005, 2:35 PM
Almost 60 here today. Can take pics on my porch without freezing both me and the camera! Finished up this little maple HF (Waterlox finish) and am now working on a Pear piece with blackwood finial. Doing small stuff that I can finish up before the deep freeze comes back.:)

John Hart
12-28-2005, 2:45 PM
Wow...what a pretty piece!! It looks ceramic from here....although, only mother nature coulda done that swirl though. The lip and the form are beautiful Carole!

Keith Burns
12-28-2005, 2:55 PM
WOW Carole, that is a great piece, Great form and finish:) :) . How small is it? Can't wait to see the next one.

Andy Hoyt
12-28-2005, 3:00 PM
Very pretty, Carole. The form looks right on the money.

Just so happens that I just scored a small chunk of pear too. It's next up on the lathe, but I don't have a clue as to what's inside.

John Hart
12-28-2005, 3:04 PM
....BTW - The school marm look is nice, but sure miss that floppy-hatted flower girl. Which is the real you?

Hmmm I was thinking more along the lines of sophisticated and charming... Yeah.... Which is the real you? :)

Dennis Peacock
12-28-2005, 3:19 PM
Very NICE Carole.!!!! Super finish on that piece. Looks almost too good to be true. ;) :D

Gary DeWitt
12-28-2005, 3:32 PM
Nice HF, Carole. I can see a reflection of either a multipane window or porch in the finish. Did you let it cure and buff it?

Know what you mean about freezing. It got down below 50 last night here in beautiful Burbank! ;)

I like the current look, if you are accepting a poll. Perhaps the "Our Miss Brooks" style glasses are reminding the really ancient crowd here of a school marm, but I don't think so. heh heh

Jim Becker
12-28-2005, 4:17 PM
Beautiful form, Carole...you're really pumping out some wonderful stuff!

David Fried
12-28-2005, 5:17 PM
That's really pretty Carole. The wood is wonderful and the shape is great.

It's so strange to open this site one morning and find everyone is different. The quiet, thoughtful John Hart appears to be in Forrest Hills watching tennis, Andy Hoyt has a girl friend, and the bubbly, smiling Carole has been replaced by her evil librarian twin. I guess I'll get used to it. I've accepted that there are at least twelve people living inside Jim Becker: nose on the lens Jim, Chia Jim, DJ Jim, Jungle Jim, etc..

Dave

Michael Stafford
12-28-2005, 5:29 PM
Yeah, Carole, how small is it? Regardless of size it is big on beauty. That is a keeper!:D

John Hart
12-28-2005, 5:31 PM
....It's so strange to open this site one morning and find everyone is different. The quiet, thoughtful John Hart appears to be in Forrest Hills watching tennis, Andy Hoyt has a girl friend, and the bubbly, smiling Carole has been replaced by her evil librarian twin. I guess I'll get used to it. I've accepted that there are at least twelve people living inside Jim Becker: nose on the lens Jim, Chia Jim, DJ Jim, Jungle Jim, etc..

Dave

And then there is Big Mike. :D :D I laugh every time Mike!!!!

Carole Valentine
12-28-2005, 5:33 PM
Thanks guys.
Gary, it's the porch you see. Guess if I am going to do anymore glossy stuff I better get off my butt and make a photo booth. The piece has 3 coats of Waterlox, cured and buffed. It was actually a little glossier before the buffing.

Keith, it's 3 3/4" x 3".

Andy, who's your buddy there? He looks like he likes to cuddle as much as my little girl, Raven, does. She is half Golden and half Black Lab.:)

For the curious: both pics are me, depending on my mood and what I happen to be doing at the time - "the Boss Lady" or "Party Girl".:D:D These days, I am more likely to be in the Party Girl mode, but I can't find that avatar since I fooled with the Santa hat.:(

Anthony Yakonick
12-28-2005, 6:01 PM
Just lovely!!

Dick Parr
12-28-2005, 6:40 PM
That is one pretty HF Carole with a great finish. Very nice job.

Bob Noles
12-28-2005, 7:11 PM
Carole.....

That is a unique piece. I never knew so many shapes and sizes could be done on a lathe. You continue to inspire us "new" ones. Thanks for posting it and keep them coming.

John Hart
12-28-2005, 7:16 PM
Carole.....

That is a unique piece. I never knew so many shapes and sizes could be done on a lathe. You continue to inspire us "new" ones. Thanks for posting it and keep them coming.

I second that! Carole inspires me everyday. She was so kind to send me a Cherry bowl that I keep on my desk at work. I pick it up every day and admire the delicacy and the evenness of the wall, the perfect finish, the foot...everything. She in a wonderful artisan.

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2005, 7:20 PM
Wow Carole. The finish is awesome. That would be a keeper.

Ernie Nyvall
12-28-2005, 7:28 PM
Really really nice Carole. That form is just so continuously smooth. Nice finish too.

Ernie

Mike Forsman
12-28-2005, 7:31 PM
carole,

That is really amazing work.

Carole Valentine
12-28-2005, 7:37 PM
Speaking of changing appearances!:D:D:D

Ernie Nyvall
12-28-2005, 7:51 PM
Speaking of changing appearances!:D:D:D

Yes, it's me. I had an encounter with a razor last summer... just too dang hot down here for a beard... for me anyway.

I agree with John H about your new avatar.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
12-28-2005, 8:12 PM
..... Andy, who's your buddy there? He looks like he likes to cuddle as much as my little girl, Raven, does. She is half Golden and half Black Lab.....

She is Archie. AKC Arch Nemesis of Morpheus (we never had a good night's sleep when she was a wee pup. She's 92 pounds of the dumbest, lovingest, misbehavingest, four year old beast I've ever known; and is indeed this man's best friend. Anybody seen my left slipper?

Your flower girl still lives - over on the wows. Fetch as warranted.

Joe - Ya lost ten years!

Jim Ketron
12-28-2005, 8:30 PM
Nice HF Carole!
form and finish are perfect!

Bill Stevener
12-28-2005, 8:33 PM
Sure are a lot of pretties in that one Carole, very nice.

Travis Stinson
12-28-2005, 8:45 PM
Wonderful little HF Carole.:D Everything's spot-on.

Chip Sutherland
12-28-2005, 8:49 PM
Here in Texas, we have bouts of really cold weather. Luckily, it doesn't usually last more than 3-4 days. In my shop (garage), I have a closed-system oil heater. Saftest darn thing to put around a bunch of saw dust. I think I got it at the Orange Borg for about $30. I can set it on a timer and it will cycle on/off as needed. It can keep my garage above 50 degrees quite easily on days where the temp doesn't get above 30. Not warm enough to finish but warm enough to turn some wood.

As far as the HF, it is wonderful. Very pretty. Did you use the Hollowmaster, again?

PS....I liked the other playful avatar better, too.

Carole Valentine
12-28-2005, 8:52 PM
She was so kind to send me a Cherry bowl that I keep on my desk at work. I pick it up every day and admire the delicacy and the evenness of the wall, the perfect finish, the foot...everything.
Sheesh, John! That bowl was far from perfect. :o I reserve the right to recall that bowl in exchange for something better one of these days!

Carole Valentine
12-28-2005, 8:56 PM
Did you use the Hollowmaster, again?

No Hollowmaster on this one...opening is too small. I used the Don Pencil Stinger set.
My friend had one of those oil radiators he got from the Borg. It died afer 2 days. They replaced it and the second one died after 1 day. Didn't do much to heat the place either and he had a small insulated shop! LOL

John Hart
12-28-2005, 9:09 PM
Sheesh, John! That bowl was far from perfect. :o I reserve the right to recall that bowl in exchange for something better one of these days!

Nope...Can't have it back. You can send as many as you want though!:p
You are your own worse critique....and I admire that. By the way...I just finished an HF that was exclusively done with the Hollowmaster. I'll post in a bit. Woo Hoo!!!!

Mark Cothren
12-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Another great one, Carole! The form looks great to my rookie eye. The finish looks great, too!

Thanks for the pictures!

Tyler Howell
12-28-2005, 11:13 PM
[quote=David Fried]
Carole has been replaced by her evil librarian twin. I guess I'll get used to it.
Dave
I was think more like sultry wood turning Diva:)
Change is good.

Great piece Carole your has matured so much in he short time you've been turning here. Thanks for sharing. Pic police star of approval!!!!

Robert Watsek
12-28-2005, 11:44 PM
Carole, I think they are trying to tell you that your a perfectionist :D

I have to agree with them you do some wonderful work.:)

Bob