PDA

View Full Version : Coffee thread

Patrick Walsh
06-03-2020, 8:39 AM
Ok coffee snobs unite.

I just read “sure it’s old news” Stumptown and intelligentsia” have been purchased by Pete’s.

Other than Counter culture George Howell I’m lost.

So what are the kids drinking these days.

Once upon a time and I remember the first “Coffee Connection” in Newton center Massachusetts later to become Starbucks founded then sold by George Howell. George now has a small mom and pop style shop in Newton but I have grown tired of his roasts. And the atmosphere of the shop is lacking to be quite honest and I’m not talking the art on the walls.

So what’s out there, we are forced paying our utility bills, vehicles and much of a food purchased to support conglomerates.

I’d rather not. But I do like me a good high quality high test cup of coffee.

Robert LaPlaca
06-03-2020, 8:45 AM
Try Weavers Coffee, you can order via mail order, they are based in San Francisco area. John Weaver was the master roster for Peet’s, um when Peet’s was owned Alfred Peet. Actually Weavers uses the same roasters that Peet’s used to use when they manually roasted coffee.

No affiliation, I am just a happy customer of theirs, by the way..

Mike Cutler
06-03-2020, 8:55 AM
My wife gets ours from an internet store. the guy's actual B&M store is in Tennessee.

Peter Kelly
06-03-2020, 9:57 AM
https://www.kobricks.com/ShopNow.aspx

jared herbert
06-03-2020, 10:12 AM
I get my coffee from two places. Bad ass coffee located on Maui but they ship from Salt Lake City I think and Kauai coffee company. Both have fast shipping and have what I think is a superior product IMHO.

Jim Koepke
06-03-2020, 10:21 AM
Having grown up with Peet's in my 'backyard' they have been my choice for over 50 years.

My regular morning cup is their Major Dickason's Blend®.

Since my heart surgery my doctors would prefer me not drinking coffee:

Except on rare or special occasions my consumption is kept to one cup a day.

jtk

David Bolson
06-03-2020, 11:14 AM
There’s a Whole Foods near me that roasts their beans in-store. Not sure about now, but pre-covid, I could scoop, smell and bag from a choice of about 10 different beans that had been roasted in the last few days.

Jim Becker
06-03-2020, 1:46 PM
I have my beloved morning latté every day...most of our beans come from Costco. Currently, what I have is from Guatemala and the alternative we also buy is from Mexico. The Rwandan is also very good when I can get it. These are all dark roast beans. I brew with a semi-automatic La Spazele espresso machine.

Jon Grider
06-03-2020, 2:25 PM
I like my morning cup as well. For my tastes, I like a good medium to city roast. Dark roast burns the nuances and subtleties out and yields a charcoal-like tasting brew no matter the origin or quality of the beans imo. Love a good pour over, french press and then drip made cup in that order. Used to pay crazy prices for Kona and Jamaican Blue Mountain but now settle for modestly priced medium roast Columbian Supremo from Sam's or Costco. Guess I'm not such a snob, just like a good cuppa joe.

Jon Nuckles
06-03-2020, 4:13 PM
I get my coffee from two places. Bad ass coffee located on Maui but they ship from Salt Lake City I think and Kauai coffee company. Both have fast shipping and have what I think is a superior product IMHO.

Looks like a Bad Ass Coffee was sold to a Utah businessman and has franchises in many locations now. The local shop was my go to place when skiing in Park City. I have been getting my beans from Peet's, but may try some of the other suggestions here.

Nicholas Lawrence
06-03-2020, 4:36 PM
Roast your own. Why anybody drinks bad coffee in this day and age is something I do not understand.

Mike Null
06-03-2020, 4:37 PM
I have always loved a good cup of coffee but due to my wife being a light sleeper I can't run a grinder in the morning so after a pretty good search we lucked on a German roasted grind at, of all places, Aldi. I brew it fairly strong in a drip coffee maker of the cheap variety. I drink one or two cups max and thoroughly enjoy it. If I'm out, Panera has pretty good stuff.

Kev Williams
06-04-2020, 12:42 AM
We go thru 3-4 pots a day, so we like coffee, but to be honest, we're not aficionado's by any stretch, we just drink what tastes good!

We have 2 Cuisinart coffee makers side by side on the counter-
-the burr-grinder version 'grind n' brew' and a basic 12 cup maker, which is the only coffee maker I've found with a 4 hour off-timer...

--and on the other side of the radar range is a cheap coffee press and another burr grinder...
Every night before bed the wife grinds up pot's worth for the small maker to auto-brew in the morning. All other coffee for the day gets fresh ground and made in the big maker.

We buy Winco's Red Brick coffee, no complaints, especially at $7 a pound.

We're 'sweet 'n cream' drinkers, and don't necessarily like strong coffee, so we like our flavored coffees-- dark cherry chocolate, raspberry chocolate and cinnamon swirl are always in the cupboard.
For 'real' coffee, we like Kona, breakfast blend, tanzanian peaberry in light roast,
Red Brick house blend and sumatra manhendling and donut shop in medium roast,
and we like most of their dark roast coffee, french roast, sumatra dark, columbia dark, usually in small doses, which we press...

Red Brick's flagship 'holy crap' coffee is their Rocket Java. Neither of us can drink it, just too out there for us. It's aptly named because, to me, it tastes like jet fuel! ;) Our kids and friends tell us they love it. :)

So if you ever show up here for a name badge or a visit, there's ALWAYS coffee on :D

Patrick Walsh
06-04-2020, 12:56 AM
Couple more hours and it’s coffee time again!

Brian Deakin
06-04-2020, 4:00 AM
You may find this article From the Uk interesting This is the store where I shopped for coffee /tea and you were able to purchase as little as 2 ounces neatly wrapped in paper which allowed you to sample different blends

The shop and its fittings hardly changed in all of this time. The 34 decorated canisters containing the tea are the originals, said to have been made by the tinners of Bradley - "the best in the business" - and were japanned and decorated with the flags of all nations. One showed the flag of the United States, then properly showing 20 stars. The only time at which the US flag had 20 stars was from 1818 to 1819. This might, give or take a few years, show the date these tins were made.

http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/interesting/snapes/snapes01.htm

and search w. t. m. Snape google images

Doug Dawson
06-04-2020, 4:14 AM
Roast your own. Why anybody drinks bad coffee in this day and age is something I do not understand.

A lot of people are saying that you can feed raw beans to your dog, recover the beans afterwards, and this bypasses the need to roast them. You could call it Bowser Brand. Who needs Folgers.

Chris Fairbanks
06-04-2020, 4:59 AM
My wife really likes Equator Coffee. They are also based in the Bay Area and do all their own roasting in house. Her favorite is their equator blend. They make all the Coffees for Thomas Keller’s restaurants including the French Laundry though my wife does not like that blend. They are offering free shipping on all orders due to COVID. https://www.equatorcoffees.com/

Stan Calow
06-04-2020, 9:11 AM
I like to bring back coffees from places we travel to. So far best we've had is Alto Grande from Puerto Rico, and El Rey from Costa Rica. But for everyday use, we like the Barissimo Columbian that Aldi's sells. And sometimes Folgers is good enough. So is my Mr Coffee.

Patrick Walsh
06-04-2020, 9:17 AM
Wow guys this thread is a perfect example of you never know on a forum what will be popular.

I’ll update daily/weekly as my brew changes.

Like one poster I’m having a sense I shouldn’t drink coffee as I have been having some Intermittent but noticeable heart/chest pains. I know go to the doctor. Not a chance right now and probably Not for a long time.

Today I’m drinking I’m drinking Stumptown 100 Mile. I’d give it a 8.5 ish and moderate to medium roast. Not but butter or over roasted at all. It would not be the forst bag I’d grab off the shelf had I the choice but it’s sure beats many other options.

roger wiegand
06-04-2020, 9:50 AM
Major Dickason's from Peets since I lived next door to the Menlo Park store in 1978. I remember meeting Mr. Peet a few times during those years. I'm very disappointed that the stores don't make it full strength anymore, but the bean quality seems to be as good as ever despite the huge scale up. Mr. Peet would be appalled that they're selling coffee weeks or even months after it's been roasted, likewise that they sell food in the coffee shops. He hated that idea.

I've tried hundreds of other coffees over the years, have found a couple that I liked about as well, none better. Can't beat a well-roasted Sumatran bean. My second favorite is the Clover-brewed Sumatra at Starbucks. Don't think much of any of their other offerings, but the Clover machine is killer. Wish I could afford one!

These days I make coffee at home in a Jura superautomatic espresso machine, having fiddled with every coffee making device imaginable. It's quite good, not as good as the in-store pour-over coffee in Menlo Park or Berkeley used to be, but we've easily paid for the machine in savings on having no wasted coffee. I've never successfully replicated the intensity of the old in-store brew at home; makes me a little crazy that I can't crack that.

Brian Hale
06-04-2020, 9:54 AM

Exactly!
Been roasting for ~15 years and aside from being Much cheaper ($5-$7 per pound) i'm in control of how dark a roast it i want. Some are better on the light side and others do better darker. I'll often roast a 1/4lb dark, start cooling half way through 2nd crack and blend with 1lb medium roast, cooling at the end of first crack.

2 roasters and 3 of my current favorites.

Patrick Walsh
06-04-2020, 9:55 AM
I live less than a mile from the Pete’s in Wellesley.

It used to be my weekend go to coffee spot. I make it durning the week.

Major dicks is good as is much of their coffee. Most all of it though does have a unique flavor or something going on that when compared to other options I just don’t like. Or maybe I just tired of it. I suppose o tend to do that with stuff. I get on kicks as I like routine then I burn out on the routine I’m so enamored by.

Major Dickason's from Peets since I lived next door to the Menlo Park store in 1978. I remember meeting Mr. Peet a few times during those years. I'm very disappointed that the stores don't make it full strength anymore, but the bean quality seems to be as good as ever despite the huge scale up. Mr. Peet would be appalled that they're selling coffee weeks or even months after it's been roasted, likewise that they sell food in the coffee shops. He hated that idea.

I've tried hundreds of other coffees over the years, have found a couple that I liked about as well, none better. Can't beat a well-roasted Sumatran bean. My second favorite is the Clover-brewed Sumatra at Starbucks. Don't think much of any of their other offerings, but the Clover machine is killer. Wish I could afford one!

These days I make coffee at home in a Jura superautomatic espresso machine, having fiddled with every coffee making device imaginable. It's quite good, not as good as the in-store pour-over coffee in Menlo Park or Berkeley used to be, but we've easily paid for the machine in savings on having no wasted coffee. I've never successfully replicated the intensity of the old in-store brew at home; makes me a little crazy that I can't crack that.

Jim Tobias
06-04-2020, 12:04 PM
Peet's Major Dickinson for a long while ......until I recently tried Lavazza Super Crema. It makes a very smooth expresso and latte and Machiatto, etc.. It is also not a greasy bean which is recommended in our Zura machine.

Jim

Nicholas Lawrence
06-04-2020, 2:56 PM
Exactly!
Been roasting for ~15 years and aside from being Much cheaper ($5-$7 per pound) i'm in control of how dark a roast it i want. Some are better on the light side and others do better darker. I'll often roast a 1/4lb dark, start cooling half way through 2nd crack and blend with 1lb medium roast, cooling at the end of first crack.

I have that roaster on the right. A batch lasts us 2-3 days.

Being cheaper and in control of the roast is part of it, but the part is not having to drink stale coffee.

We do buy larger bags. Last one was a Kenyan lot, 60 pounds for under $5/pound.

Brian Hale
06-04-2020, 3:56 PM
The SR500 was my first roaster, followed by an expensive piece of junk that lasted less then a year. The Behmor on the left is ~10 years old and still doing great. I like the 500 for my 1/4lb dark roasts.

I normally by 5 -10 lbs of different kinds and if there's one i really like i'll get an additional 40 lbs. I enjoy the variety and trying new batches. My wife doesn't drink coffee but likes to way it smells. I grind with Breville Smart grinder and brew in a Moccamaster.

A neat thing to try if your brewer has a brew pause so you can remove the pot while it's brewing is to start the brew without the pot under it and wait till the grounds are all wet and the off white cream appears in the basket. then put the pot under it. With some coffees this can really improve the taste and cut back on the acidity.

Patrick Walsh
06-04-2020, 8:26 PM
Ok so you like know coffee..

Keep talking..

I just can’t imagine taking on one more thing I have to do weekly and roast my coffee. But I also refuse to drink anything other than ultra premium for a lack of a better word. Rather just suffer the headache for a few week and not drink the stuff.

The SR500 was my first roaster, followed by an expensive piece of junk that lasted less then a year. The Behmor on the left is ~10 years old and still doing great. I like the 500 for my 1/4lb dark roasts.

I normally by 5 -10 lbs of different kinds and if there's one i really like i'll get an additional 40 lbs. I enjoy the variety and trying new batches. My wife doesn't drink coffee but likes to way it smells. I grind with Breville Smart grinder and brew in a Moccamaster.

A neat thing to try if your brewer has a brew pause so you can remove the pot while it's brewing is to start the brew without the pot under it and wait till the grounds are all wet and the off white cream appears in the basket. then put the pot under it. With some coffees this can really improve the taste and cut back on the acidity.

Darcy Warner
06-04-2020, 8:57 PM
My coffee of choice is sugar free redbull.

Hot liquids are disgusting

Bill Carey
06-04-2020, 9:33 PM
I tried Death Wish for a while. Not bad. I've been drinking Sputnik (https://www.sputnikcoffeecompany.com/#)coffee for the last several months. Like it. All I ever drink is water and coffee. And a small glass of apple juice in the am. Coffee all day, right up till I go to bed.

Brian Hale
06-04-2020, 11:50 PM

Keep talking..

I just can’t imagine taking on one more thing I have to do weekly and roast my coffee. But I also refuse to drink anything other than ultra premium for a lack of a better word. Rather just suffer the headache for a few week and not drink the stuff.

Most coffee you can buy is a blend of several different coffees, unless it's labeled Single Origin. There's several reasons for this but mainly it's so the seller can maintain a specific flavor profile. The flavor and quality of coffee from any one location changes from season to season based on things like weather and having several different coffees on hand to blend helps maintain this flavor.
Growing coffee is somewhat of an art form as the flavor can be effected by what other crops are grown among the coffee trees such as lemon and spices.
Also how the coffee is processed, and where it's grown, can have a great effect; Washed, Dry, Semi dry, Monsooned etc.
If you're looking try something a little different seek out single origin medium roasts. If it's got a name like Thunder Bolt or Major Dickason's it a blend.
There's 2 main coffee types, Arabica and Robusta, the latter has a much higher caffeine content but really poor flavor so it's mixed with Arabica to make it taste better and called something like Jump Start.
Your coffee maker and water quality has a significant effect on the flavor. The water temp needs to be between 195-205 degrees when it contacts the grounds and the water itself needs to be good quality. "city" water with a noticeable amount of bleach will ruin coffee as will a high amount of minerals. If you drink bottled water because your tap water doesn't taste good your coffee won't taste good.
I buy my green beans from Burman Coffee Traders. Have a look at their Learning Center for some good information.

https://burmancoffee.com/coffee-roasting/

Brian

Nicholas Lawrence
06-05-2020, 7:40 AM

Keep talking..

With the smaller roasters like a FreshRoast, it takes 4-6 minutes depending on how you like your roast. You just put the beans in, push the button, and it runs. A batch lasts us 2-3 days. If it sits around a week it starts to taste stale.

We roast every couple of days. Grind every morning, and make it in a french press. After the first cup, it goes in a thermos and stays hot most of the day.

When I was buying roasted coffee, it ran 15-19/pound. Not sure what it goes for now.

The green beans we just bought in February-March were under $5/pound for single origin Kenyan. That was a 65 pound bag.

There are lots of places that will sell you green beans for about what you can buy roasted beans for, in small bags. Whole foods used to do that if you ask, and there are lots of 1-5 pound bags on the internet. The point where I decided I was never going back was when I started finding places that would sell over 25 pounds at a significant discount.

Sweet Marias is a pretty good site, where I learned a lot, but they did not sell big bags. 25 pounds or more will last you a while, but the green beans do not go bad (we keep ours in a box in the basement in the box it shipped in).

Fool around with the roast, grind, and all that. You will screw some batches up, but even what you screw up will probably be as good as what you can buy. When everything comes together it is better than anything you can buy in a cup.

Brian Elfert
06-05-2020, 11:28 AM
Like one poster I’m having a sense I shouldn’t drink coffee as I have been having some Intermittent but noticeable heart/chest pains. I know go to the doctor. Not a chance right now and probably Not for a long time.

You really should contact your clinic if having heart/chest pains. Medical care for things like heart issues has not stopped. Your clinic can decide if you need to be seen by a doctor.

Gail Ludwig
06-06-2020, 8:07 PM
I roast my own. Use a HF heat gun and a thrift shop bread machine. I can roast 1-2 pounds in about 8 minutes. I made a bean cooler from a 5 gallon bucket and my shop vac.....2 minutes to cool a couple of pounds of coffee. i buy some of my coffee from George at the old Green Coffee coop, but they don’t sell much any longer. i now get most of my beans at this location: https://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/

Michael Drew
06-09-2020, 2:57 PM
I enjoy a good espresso based coffee in the AM. Just one. It's usually a latte or Americano. I aquired this habit over a decade ago, and I just can't seem to function well without it..... I have a semi-auto machine and a Barista grinder. An expensive entry fee, but when I do the math related to buying a daily foo-foo coffee for about $5, plus tip, it doesn't take long to pay for the initial investment.

I was buying freshly roasted beans from Paradise Roasters [ https://paradiseroasters.com/ ] until my better half bought me a roaster for my birthday a couple years ago. The roaster is a Gene Cafe model [ https://burmancoffee.com/product/home-coffee-roasters/gene-cafe-home-coffee-roaster/ ], and works well. It is time consuming though. It takes me about two hours to roast enough beens to get me a two week supply. I buy my beans from the same place [https://burmancoffee.com/ (https://burmancoffee.com/product/home-coffee-roasters/gene-cafe-home-coffee-roaster/) ], and I enjoy trying different beans from all other the world. I would have never thought there were so many variations to the end product. Time and Temp combinations are unlimited. It can be overwhelming, but it is fun to experiment.

Jim Becker
06-09-2020, 5:23 PM
I enjoy a good espresso based coffee in the AM. Just one. It's usually a latte or Americano. I aquired this habit over a decade ago, and I just can't seem to function well without it..... I have a semi-auto machine and a Barista grinder. An expensive entry fee, but when I do the math related to buying a daily foo-foo coffee for about $5, plus tip, it doesn't take long to pay for the initial investment. .

I pretty much used the same "math" many years ago when I first started enjoying my beloved morning latté. The machine cost paid back pretty quickly even if in the beginning it was more about not going out for breakfast on the weekends like we did early on. That money adds up, so a really nice machine is a great substitute and lasts for a long time. I only grind what I'm going to use for a single beverage at a time.

Kev Williams
06-09-2020, 7:52 PM
So, a couple of things:

First, ya'll got me interested in roasting beans. However, (a) the prices of roasters I've searched out can get way out there, and (b) while I haven't done a lot of searching, I haven't found raw beans that cost less than Winco's fresh roasted beans @ $6.98 a pound.

That said, roasting beans sounds interesting nonetheless. So do I need a 'dedicated' bean roaster? Or-- Hiding in one of our storage units is an old, barely used Ronco Showtime rotisserie, AND a barely used George Foreman rotisserie, both of which have tight-screened baskets perfect for holding coffee beans... is there a reason these wouldn't work?

Andrew Joiner
06-09-2020, 9:05 PM
The math got me into the aeropress. It's like a french press on steroids. No coffee maker mold build up in the tubes and tanks. I buy any brand of dark roast beans that are oily, stocking up when it's on sale around $5 a lb.
When I go to special coffee shops I'm usually disappointed. The aeropress makes better coffee at home.

Nicholas Lawrence
06-10-2020, 2:32 AM
So, a couple of things:

First, ya'll got me interested in roasting beans. However, (a) the prices of roasters I've searched out can get way out there, and (b) while I haven't done a lot of searching, I haven't found raw beans that cost less than Winco's fresh roasted beans @ $6.98 a pound.

That said, roasting beans sounds interesting nonetheless. So do I need a 'dedicated' bean roaster? Or-- Hiding in one of our storage units is an old, barely used Ronco Showtime rotisserie, AND a barely used George Foreman rotisserie, both of which have tight-screened baskets perfect for holding coffee beans... is there a reason these wouldn't work?

Try looking at genuine origin. You will need to buy a 65 pound bag, but they have lots under that price. Some of it is stuff I would not have any interest in, but up around $5 you can start seeing some interesting stuff (to me anyway).

You do not need a dedicated roaster. You can roast coffee in a frying pan over a camp fire if you want to. For years I used a hot air popcorn popper. If you have a hot air popper, be aware using it for coffee will probably ruin it for popcorn.

If it is something you are going to drink every day eventually you end up wanting a machine that was built for that purpose. It will last longer, do a good job with less babysitting, and contain the mess (coffee beans give off a kind of chaff as they roast).

roger wiegand
06-10-2020, 7:08 AM
Lots of folks roast coffee in a cast iron frying pan on the stove. A perfectly reasonable way to try it to see if it's something you like doing. Think of it as Neander bean roasting.

Rob Luter
06-10-2020, 7:48 AM
I went down the coffee rabbit hole years ago. We've done drip, percolator, Melita pour over, French Press, and Keurig. We've tried about every kind of bean and grinds from coarse to dust. I've come down to earth in my old age.

My daily cup is a Keurig combination of a Kirkland Pacific Bold and a Tim Horton's decaf mixed into a 20 oz Yeti Rambler tumbler. I nurse on it most of the morning.

On weekends I do a French Press using 1/2 regular and 1/2 decaf. The brand varies.

If I do coffee shop coffee (very rare) I prefer Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. It's full bodied but soft on the palate and not acidic at all. I find Starbucks and most of their contemporaries to be too strong, too bitter, and instant heartburn generators.

Todd Mason-Darnell
06-10-2020, 8:36 AM
Exactly!

2 roasters and 3 of my current favorites.

I am another happy Behmor owner and home roaster. One of my co-workers turned me on to home roasting maybe back in 2007 or 2008 and I have never looked back.

I buy most of my green beans from Sweet Marias.

Todd Mason-Darnell
06-10-2020, 8:41 AM
Try looking at genuine origin. You will need to buy a 65 pound bag, but they have lots under that price. Some of it is stuff I would not have any interest in, but up around $5 you can start seeing some interesting stuff (to me anyway).

You do not need a dedicated roaster. You can roast coffee in a frying pan over a camp fire if you want to. For years I used a hot air popcorn popper. If you have a hot air popper, be aware using it for coffee will probably ruin it for popcorn.

If it is something you are going to drink every day eventually you end up wanting a machine that was built for that purpose. It will last longer, do a good job with less babysitting, and contain the mess (coffee beans give off a kind of chaff as they roast).

You can also roast with a heat gun and a metal bowl--I know several people who do that. You can get a good dedicate roast--like the Behmor 1600 Plus or Fresh Roast, from under $500. I know that sounds like a lot of $$$, but it is worth it.

I enjoy home roasting, but I am not a snob about coffee--drink what you like. I can say however, I can tell now between "fresh" roasted and anything that comes out of a bag.

Jim Becker
06-10-2020, 8:41 AM
I had a small electric roaster a number of years ago and it worked fine, but I lost interest in the process and time required.

Michael Drew
06-10-2020, 10:04 AM
So, a couple of things:

I'm no expert. But I can tell you that my last batch was roasted at 464 deg F, and 16.5 minutes with a 10 min cool down cycle. It's somewhere between medium and city. In my experience, so far, temps need to be over 400 deg, and you need to tumble the beans to get air moving around all of them. I bought 15 pounds of this espresso blend at $5.39 per pound, and it's excellent. https://burmancoffee.com/product/coffee/origin/bct-blends-origin/bct-espresso-blend/#reviews

Nicholas Lawrence
06-10-2020, 10:19 AM
I'm no expert. But I can tell you that my last batch was roasted at 464 deg F, and 16.5 minutes with a 10 min cool down cycle. It's somewhere between medium and city. In my experience, so far, temps need to be over 400 deg, and you need to tumble the beans to get air moving around all of them. I bought 15 pounds of this espresso blend at $5.39 per pound, and it's excellent. https://burmancoffee.com/product/coffee/origin/bct-blends-origin/bct-espresso-blend/#reviews

Now I am understanding how some of you think it takes too much time.

Ours roast for 5-6 minutes, and then get dumped in a cast iron frying pan to cool. Temperature is whatever the roaster puts out, we control the roast by the amount of time it runs.

Beans come out the way we like it, and the whole thing can be done at the same time you are boiling water and grinding beans to make the morning coffee.

Adam Herman
06-10-2020, 11:14 AM
we would like to get an espresso machine, any recommendations for a somewhat budget friendly model?

my normal morning joe is costco pinion coffee beans, burr grinder and drip. i have used aero press, antique hand crank burr grinder, french press regularly, when i was traveling for work and when i was home, had plenty of time.

Jim Becker
06-10-2020, 9:33 PM
Adam, I've purchased my last two machines from Chris's Coffee (https://www.chriscoffee.com/) in Albany. The first one was all manual and my current on is semi-auto. Those previous were typical mass market brands and they just didn't last very long. Yes, the better machines are a bit more investment, but they provide a more consistent product and can last for decades because the internals are really well made. The one I've been using for about five years now is a La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II.

Peter Kelly
06-10-2020, 10:48 PM
we would like to get an espresso machine, any recommendations for a somewhat budget friendly model?

my normal morning joe is costco pinion coffee beans, burr grinder and drip. i have used aero press, antique hand crank burr grinder, french press regularly, when i was traveling for work and when i was home, had plenty of time.Without going too far off the deep end money wise, the Illy pod machines are surprisingly good: https://www.illy.com/en-us/shop/coffee-machines/iperespresso-capsules-coffee-machines/y32-capsule-coffee-machine/coffee-machines-y3-2-iperespresso-us-P.html?dwvar_coffee-machines-y3-2-iperespresso-us-P_color=red&cgid=57529

Not the least expensive cost per cup but fine for occasional use. I stopped using my Aeropress when the plastic went weird.

roger wiegand
06-11-2020, 6:49 AM
I've come to love the Jura superautomatics. I'm OK with grinding and tamping and knockout boxes and the whole ritual of a properly pulled espresso, but DW is, most definitely, not. The coffee, with a little futzing with settings, is quite good, albeit not as good as can be done manually. It is also much more consistent. I've put their machines in my last three office kitchens and they survive daily use by 20-30 people without making a disastrous mess. I buy the second hand, factory reconditioned models they offer direct on their web site. They come looking brand new and the warranty coverage is good. The simpler machines can be had for under $500. The brew group is pretty much the same in all of them, for 4x the money you get fancier milk frothers and larger capacity bean, water, and waste storage. You have to go way more expensive to get a two boiler model. I don't put milk in my coffee, so that makes the choice easy. We used to throw away a partial pot every day, no there is no waste. You get a fresh ground cup every time pushing one button. For the price of one Festool sander it brings a lot of happiness.

Michael Drew
06-11-2020, 7:54 PM
Adam, I've purchased my last two machines from Chris's Coffee (https://www.chriscoffee.com/) in Albany. The first one was all manual and my current on is semi-auto. Those previous were typical mass market brands and they just didn't last very long. Yes, the better machines are a bit more investment, but they provide a more consistent product and can last for decades because the internals are really well made. The one I've been using for about five years now is a La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II.

Hey, me too! I have the standard V-II. I use the Vario Forte grinder with it. It's been a pretty solid combination for about six years or thereabouts. I've had to adjust the boiler level probe a couple times, and the typical gasket replacement for the brew group, but no other problems. I went through a couple Jura super autos and another brand I don't recall first.

Patrick Walsh
06-11-2020, 8:29 PM
This is a pretty cool thread. I’m still listening in getting ideas.

I’ve found sweet Maria’s done the machine research years ago and like anything I get into I land smack dab in the middle of a very expensive obsession. I can’t remember the name of machine I narrowed it down to but it was “I think vintage” and if not manual “like you have to know what your doing or you cup will suck” and crazt expensive.

I get up front it cost money and saves you. I gave up $5-8 coffees years ago for black coffee to go so coffee doesn’t cost me much out. Actually more at home as I tend to spend $15-25 on a good bag that lasts me three days as I get here French press fulls out of a bag. Pretty bad right I like my coffee high test.

I’ll have to give the roasting a try at some point. I think at least coffee wise I’m a pour over guy. I love cowboy coffee and some grounds here and there to chew on.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-12-2020, 1:03 PM
I have become a beer snob since an international friend introduced me to a Scotch ale in Christchurch in 2008.

Coffee, on the other hand, I, like Bill Carey, is my primary mode of hydration. I prefer and drink nothing but Folgers at home. I drink a weak coffee made with 1/2 Folgers regular and 1/2 Folgers decaf. I buy the regular at Costco and the decaf at either Winco or Walmart.

When I am traveling, my thermos are normally filled by my wife while I pump gas. She fills 1/2 a thermos with regular brewed coffee and tops it off with hot water or decaf. I am obviously not a coffee snob.

That being said, I have instructed my loved ones when I die, if they choose to bury me, I want to be buried in jeans, a pocketed t-shirt, no socks, tennis shoes, with a pack of Marlboros in my pocket ( I quit smoking some 14 years ago), a book of matches, and a cup of Folgers in my hand.

With respect to coffee, I am in it for the volume and not for the quality. LOL!:eek::rolleyes::D