PDA

View Full Version : Jointer base with mounting tabs and a mobile base

Chris Sherwood
06-01-2020, 9:17 PM
First time poster- excited to get back into woodworking!!
I have an 8” Bridgewood jointer that I’m rebuilding. The base has 2 tabs on the short sides. I’m looking for a mobile base (recommendations welcome). Should I cut grind the tabs off, leave them and set it directly on the base supports, or add a plywood base and attach to the tabs? I guess removing them saves a few inches of the size of the base. Adding the plywood adds more stability(?), and raises the jointer by about an inch (I’m 6’1” if that matters). Any thoughts?
I also need a mobile base for a PM66 with 52” Biesemeyer fence that I’m rebuilding , but I thought I’d get one base first to see how I like it.

Thanks for your time and suggestions

Bill Dufour
06-01-2020, 11:37 PM
A jointer base is not limited by length since the tables overhang the base by a foot or more. I would leave the tabs on and use them to bolt it to the base. Me I would weld up a base from angle iron and have it longer then the cabinet. Decide if you want to raise the jointer for comfort. Being able to get you toes under it may be nice? If you add a dust collector make sure the dust chute has a top piece.
bill D

Bill Dufour
06-01-2020, 11:40 PM
some people keep the jointer low so the tablesaw table is above it. Others raise it so the jointer table can park over the tablesaw wings. It would be nice to get a solid base that raises and lowers electrically like a hospital bed. Every thing I have seen is too wobbly.
Bil lD.