PDA

View Full Version : My "Bucket List" project is complete!

John Keeton
05-31-2020, 1:40 PM
I posted this in the project forum, but since it has a significant amount of turning involved, I thought I would post it here for those that may not venture to the project forum.

For nearly 50 years I have wanted to build a comb back Windsor chair, but the time, money and skill level never came together until recent years. I retired 6 years ago, so I have the time. The good Lord has been good to us, so the funds are available for all the necessary tools and materials.

So, over the past few months I bought several new tools, some specific to chair building. I built the various forms, jigs and kiln and acquired plans and DVDs from Curtis Buchanan. My plans were to turn all the legs, stretchers and supports, rive out the oak parts, rough them out, and complete the build in a class at John C. Campbell to be taught last week by Brian Cunfer. The class was for a loop back, but Brian graciously agreed to assist me with the comb back since I would have much of the work done. But, with the Covid pandemic the April woodturning class I was to teach at JCC was cancelled and it became evident that the May chair class was going to be cancelled as well.

So, I was on my own, but decided to give it a go since by mid April all the individual parts had been completed. There were moments, but things went fairly well. Curtis' plans and the videos were absolutely essential in absence of hands on instruction. Turnings are hard maple, seat is poplar and all other parts are white oak. Finish is a variant of the black on red done by Curtis and Pete Galbert. Learning the nuances of milk paint may have been one of the biggest challenges in this build!

A little over a decade ago I was posting my flat work builds on SMC, then I got into turning and with few exceptions that was the end of flat work. I have enjoyed this chair project so much, that I fear it may now compete with my turning! There will definitely be another one this coming winter.

roger wiegand
05-31-2020, 1:42 PM
Wow, that's just stunning. So many techniques to learn and get right. Congratulations!

Frederick Skelly
05-31-2020, 1:48 PM
Really a beautiful piece! That will certainly be a family heirloom! And I love the color and the gloss - really sets it off. What topcoat did you use?

Jim Hipp
05-31-2020, 2:00 PM
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

John Keeton
05-31-2020, 3:12 PM
Thanks, guys! Frederick, the final coat of milk paint is burnished with a sanding pad and then three coats of satin Minwax Wipe On Poly. Galbert adds a coat of shellac on the black prior to a top coat, but he uses an oil to finish. I did not add the shellac at the end as I felt the poly would do fine without the shellac.

Roger Chandler
05-31-2020, 3:14 PM
Congratulations on some exquisite woodworking, counsellor! Nice to see your work again!

Frederick Skelly
05-31-2020, 3:15 PM
Thanks, guys! Frederick, the final coat of milk paint is burnished with a sanding pad and then three coats of satin Minwax Wipe On Poly. Galbert adds a coat of shellac on the black prior to a top coat, but he uses an oil to finish. I did not add the shellac at the end as I felt the poly would do fine without the shellac.

Thanks John. The finish complements the design just beautifully John. I may have to add one to my own bucket list!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-31-2020, 3:22 PM
John, what a beautiful chair, an instant heirloom! The quality is what we have become to expect from John Keeton! Well done sir!

PS So you finally got back to do some furniture turning? Well done John!

Bill Carey
05-31-2020, 4:06 PM
WOW - what a stunning chair John. Absolutely beautiful.

Tim Passmore
05-31-2020, 5:06 PM
Outstanding craftsmanship!!!

William C Rogers
05-31-2020, 6:13 PM
Absolutely an amazing work. The color is fantastic. Skill and craftsmanship combined.

Walter Mooney
05-31-2020, 6:41 PM
John, I echo all the prior comments and kudos. That chair is absolutely gorgeous. I'm sure you've gotten a lot of satisfaction sitting in it! Well done sir!

mike ash
05-31-2020, 7:36 PM
Fantastic project John!! You better add some more to that bucket list!!

John Keeton
05-31-2020, 7:44 PM
Guys, thanks so much for the kind words!! I am actually excited about starting the next one - unusual for me as I am a “one off” kind of guy.

Ken, you recall very well my entry into turning - “I’m just getting a lathe to make legs for this table!” What a vortex I dove into.

Maylon Harvey
05-31-2020, 8:13 PM

I’m just getting a lathe to make legs for this table!” What a vortex I dove into.

Hi John, I was just getting ready to ask if the table legs in the 1st pic were the ones that inspied you to get your 1st lathe. But you answered that. I remember the episode well.
What you have accomplished since then is amazing.

David Dockstader
06-01-2020, 1:00 AM
Absolutely exquisite John. Now, if your wife is anything like mine, she'll take one look at it and say, "That's fantastic. Now when can you finish the matching 5 to complete the set?" ;)

John Keeton
06-01-2020, 7:38 AM
Thanks, again, for taking time to comment! Maylon, you are right! I built the walnut and curly maple hutch/secretary in 2008 using a set of antique legs. The following year, I built a coordinating occasional table and needed to turn a faceted set of legs to mimic the antique ones. That was my first turning project!

Dave, I am getting off a little lucky with my wife. Instead of a set of six, she has informed me that each of our five kids would want one when we depart this world. So, only four more to go!

Peter Blair
06-01-2020, 9:05 AM
Absolutely beautiful John. But then again I should expect nothing less. That piece belongs in a museum but I'm sure will be treasured for generations to come.

Steve Schlumpf
06-01-2020, 9:06 AM
John, I know how much you enjoyed this project! Especially the challenge of learning new woodworking techniques and the fun of acquiring new tools! Your focus to take things one stage at a time has created a beautiful chair. Congrats!! The photos prove that it was well worth the effort! Have you thought about displaying this in your gallery? Folks would love it! Have fun on the next build!!

ChrisA Edwards
06-01-2020, 10:00 AM
That's very impressive and a beautiful finished work of art.

As more of a flat wood hobbyist, than a turner currently, chairs like this are my greatest project challenge, to the point where I haven't got brave enough to try and build one.

So please accept my deepest admiration for such an accomplishment.

Got plans for 5 more?:)

John Keeton
06-01-2020, 12:49 PM
Peter, Steve and Chris, thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to comment.

jared herbert
06-02-2020, 9:19 AM
The chair is very nice, prolly beyond my ability at this point in my life, and at my age,69 , unattainable. I am also admiring the views of what I assume to be your home. Very nice

John Keeton
06-02-2020, 2:57 PM
Thanks, Jared! Don't discount your abilities. I am 71, still learning, and plan to do more of these.

Jeff Bartley
06-05-2020, 8:07 AM
That's really nice John! What an incredible first chair! Did you document the build? I'd love to learn more about the tools used and which you liked/disliked. I'm planning to pick up an inshave and travisher at some point hopefully sooner than later.

Also, sweet hammer beam in the background!

Jeff

David Castonguay
06-05-2020, 12:48 PM
Outstanding! All the attention to detail and the intricate finish. Inspiring!

John Keeton
06-05-2020, 4:13 PM
David, thanks for the comments!

Jeff, I appreciate your kind words and your interest in the process. I did take a few "in process" pics, though not enough to piece together the whole build. I would be happy to share information with you on tools, etc. if you want to email me. That would be much easier and wouldn't clutter up this thread, which probably has run its course anyway. My email is john@johnkeeton.com.

Dan Gaylin
06-06-2020, 10:43 AM
Amazing John. Beautiful craftsmanship. I had no idea that milk paint could be used like that.

Roland Martin
06-06-2020, 1:19 PM
John,
This is a fine example of the true craftsman you’ve consistently proven you are! Thanks for sharing this project with us. Seems like this is only your maiden voyage is a comb back Windsor, I can’t imagine how much better the next few will be!
Very, very well done my friend.

John Keeton
06-06-2020, 1:19 PM
Thanks, Dan! There is a “process” for the finish that is used by Curtis Buchanan and somewhat modified by Pete Galbert in his blog entry - “bullet proof finish.” I took parts from both, but used the wipe on poly as a final finish. Curtis and Pete both use oil as I recall. The milk paint Pete uses and I used is Real Milk paint. It will not burnish to a sheen like Old Fashion Milk Paint, but the WOP resolves that issue.

John Keeton
06-06-2020, 1:22 PM
Roland, good to hear from you and thanks!! I have all the oak parts roughed out for the second one and I hope to refine my skills on this one!

Mark Hennebury
06-06-2020, 1:29 PM
Beautiful work.

Dan Carroll
06-09-2020, 11:32 AM
I have always loved the comb back Windsor chair form. It is on my bucket list as well. You did the form more than justice. Each of the pieces, turnings, seat and back come together in your example. Really good work. Are you going to do all the chairs as arm chairs or are you considering doing the side chairs?

Steve Jenkins
06-09-2020, 1:25 PM
Fantastic John. Anyone would be proud to have that.

John Keeton
06-09-2020, 3:08 PM
Mark and Steve, thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

Dan, I appreciate the kind words and I would encourage you to get started on your comb back. By far, it is the most satisfying work I have done. I have started the next one and it will be identical to this one, but hopefully more refined. I am pleased with this chair, but as is always the case, there are some minor things I will do differently/better, I hope. I probably will choose another color, but decisions haven't been made on that yet. Now that I feel I understand milk paint much better, that process should be easier than it was on this one.

I don't intend on doing a "set" of chairs. We have dining room chairs that are Amish made, and match the table, so I don't have a need to replace those. In my opinion, the comb back is the "regal" of the Windsors, and my favorite style. After this next comb back, I may do another style - perhaps a sack back or fan back, either of which are appealing to me.