PDA

View Full Version : Staining my deck-Brush or pad applicator?

dennis thompson
05-30-2020, 7:03 AM
It's time to stain my deck, I've always used a brush but have looked at some pad applicators which claim to be easier and give a better finished look. Anybody have an opinion on this?
Thanks

Stan Calow
05-30-2020, 8:05 AM
I've done both and a pad is definitely easier, IMO. You can put one on the end of a stick and not have to bend over. A roller on a stick works good to, for the flat surfaces. A soft pad in your hand will let you grip around the railings and balusters, rather than poke a brush in and out.

Wade Lippman
05-30-2020, 9:24 AM
I've always used a roller. Splatters a bit, but very fast.

Jim Becker
05-30-2020, 9:28 AM
I'd use a pad, but depending on the nature of the deck boards, you may still need to brush the "cracks/edges" to get full coverage.

Kev Williams
05-30-2020, 11:19 AM
Never met a piece of lumber that didn't have some splinter hiding somewhere waiting to impale my hands and fingers. For that reason only I'd brush or roll...

Bruce Wrenn
05-31-2020, 8:50 PM
Sprayer makes quick work o staining a deck.

Terry Wawro
05-31-2020, 9:13 PM
Depends on how large the deck is. I'm a fan of pads and they are my go-to whenever I'm staining my deck. But, if you have a huge deck then I might consider a roller.

dennis thompson
06-11-2020, 6:59 AM
Well I used a pad to stain my deck and it probably took about 1/3 the time compared with when I did this with a brush. I think the coverage was better too. I wish I had discovered this 50 years ago!
Thanks for the advice.

Mike Null
06-11-2020, 8:04 AM
I use a pad but I can't physically do the job so I have a college kid do it. It's easier to train them to use a pad.

Patrick Walsh
06-11-2020, 8:21 AM
Normally brush and roller as something always needs to be cut in.

When I hear pad I on a deck always envision like hardwood floors are finished and someone just throwing down a puddles of uneven finish.

When I stain decks I always work a few boards at a time their full length. I also always use a product that will allow me to put it on heavy, let it soak in a bit and wipe it off even with a rag as to not get nasty ugly lap marks.

Staining decks sucks. I just redid my front deck in 5/4x6 utile or whatever mahogany sub species. I’m not staining it and it’s killing me as I’ll never get that sweet mahogany look. But over the years I’ve refinished so many “sweet mahogany decks” that look not better than pressure treated..

Dave Bunge
06-11-2020, 8:31 AM
We use a two step procedure. I apply the stain to deck with a roller. My wife makes a single pass across the surface with a pad to smooth the surface. We found that a roller alone left too mottled/uneven of a surface. And a pad alone was too slow, had to reload the pad too often. We usually work three boards the length of the deck to keep a wet edge and avoid lap marks.

Jim Becker
06-11-2020, 8:32 AM
The pad, like a roller, can be on a pole for easier application by those of us who don't "bend well" anymore...

Patrick Walsh
06-11-2020, 8:46 AM
But the lap marks man, the lap marks!

The pad, like a roller, can be on a pole for easier application by those of us who don't "bend well" anymore...

Jim Becker
06-11-2020, 8:48 AM
Lap marks can come no matter what applicator you use... :)

Patrick Walsh
06-11-2020, 8:53 AM
That’s why you get down on your achy knees with your bad back and rub them out nice and even with a rag..

I get it Jim and I’m just being a jerk now. Most could give a rats rear about lap marks on their decks.

Well not enough to actually get down there with a rag. Now a paying client well normally they complain so that why I just even them out with a rag...

Lap marks can come no matter what applicator you use... :)

dennis thompson
06-11-2020, 9:06 AM
But the lap marks man, the lap marks!

Jeez, it's just a deck, not a piece of fine furniture, I guess , referring to another post , I'm not an "overkill" guy, just a "good enough" guy:)

Patrick Walsh
06-11-2020, 9:27 AM
Haha,

I knew this is how it would be taken.

I’ll just stop posting as I have been,

Watching a bunch of hacks across the street from me replace sills and window case. The house is sided, my neighbors asked me to do the work but know I hate general construction work. Anywho I suggested if they were gonn lop off the sills as they are rotting along with the case where they come together and their house is sided, “they might consider “ replacing everything with cellular pvc as the rest of the house has zero paint/wood or anything to rot.

So they got done with four windows yesterday. I’m drinking my morning coffee today and I notice them multimaster off a sill and replace it with what I think is cellular pvc from a distance. At the same time I notice they have one side of the casing excavated. Then I notice they are measuring that side and replacing it.

First thing I think is “what the bleep are you kidding me” your gonna replace the sill with cellular pvc then one or both side casings and leave the top old crap wood. To rot away. Then I think you know yesterday I’m pretty sure they replaced the sill and all three pieces of case on at least a couple windows. But they did it a piece at a time. Meaning not biscuits pocket screws or glue. Just joints waiting to open and let water in.

So you know when the headers or top casing goes and water infiltrates and get in between the storm ad. Window proper they can rip everything out and start again.

You know vrs replace all the case right now and sills. All pocket screwed and glued together on the ground. Then flashed hung and caulked into place proper.

And I saw the quote, they are paying for a A++ job so....

But lap marks on a deck I know but they make me cringe..

Jeez, it's just a deck, not a piece of fine furniture, I guess , referring to another post , I'm not an "overkill" guy, just a "good enough" guy:)

Darcy Warner
06-11-2020, 6:44 PM
Pad. I really don't how you would get lap marks, there are gaps between the boards.

Bill Dufour
06-11-2020, 7:23 PM
I have seen a two gallon tank bug sprayer sold by one of the deck stain companies as special deck stain sprayer. I guess it is a poor mans airless sprayer.
Bill D