PDA

View Full Version : LN Fishtail Chisel sharpening

Christopher Herzog
05-28-2020, 10:11 PM
All,
Need some advice. Always use a Tormek to sharpen my chisels. Struggling with the fishtail and it's round body. What do I need to do different?

Thank you for your help!
Chris

Mike Henderson
05-28-2020, 10:27 PM
I would do it by hand on water stones. You can hold it by the handle.

Mike

Rob Luter
05-29-2020, 3:11 PM
I do mine freehand

Prashun Patel
05-29-2020, 4:03 PM
Me three. I freehand mine gently. It's not a chisel that gets a lot of abuse, so honing it by hand is pretty straightforward

Tony Zaffuto
05-29-2020, 4:10 PM
I also do mine freehand. These do not appear to be overly hard and are easy to sharpen.

Tom M King
05-29-2020, 6:33 PM
For small cutters, I set the stones up on edge, and do the honing on those edges. It just seemed like it will subject the much larger faces to less wear in small areas, which would then just be something else to deal with when sharpening wider cutters.

Derek Cohen
05-30-2020, 9:57 AM
All,
Need some advice. Always use a Tormek to sharpen my chisels. Struggling with the fishtail and it's round body. What do I need to do different?

Thank you for your help!
Chris

Hi Chris

I have two solutions for you, one shop made and the other from Tormek.

Shop made ... make an L-shaped platform. The L is to hook over the bar. Mortice the platform to french fit the shaft of the chisel. Make it a little wider than needed so you can move the shaft to increase/decrease projection. You can add a clamp on the top. Something like this (but this is metal) ...

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Sharpening/Marking%20knife/.highres/5grinding1.jpg?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds

Now Tormek make a holder for gouges, the SVS-38.

https://i.postimg.cc/RCKPwDLd/Tormek-SVS-32.jpg

It is designed to grind a curve. However the ideal part about it is that it hold a round shaft and has a depth stop (that L). Just hold it steady, or add something to prevent it rocking to the sides.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Christopher Herzog
05-30-2020, 9:47 PM
Appreciate the reply to my issue. Will see what I can do with them. Had looked at that tormek jig before, worth another look for sure!

Chris