PDA

View Full Version : Safety

Bob Noles
12-28-2005, 6:41 AM
While waiting for down time to pass, I ran up on a discussion concerning the use of face masks and I know that many of us use them while turning on the lathe. What I was not aware of is the fact that a face shield alone is not "eye protection" and it is recommended that we safety glasses or goggles under the shield as well as breathing protection.

Some of you are most likely already aware of this, but with many new folks entering this hobby (self included), I thought it might be a good idea to post a thread on this.

Here is what OSHA has to say on the subject

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/eyeandface/ppe/impact.html

Now I'm off to research bullet proof vests :D :D :D

John Hart
12-28-2005, 7:35 AM
Thanks Bob! I wear safety glasses under my shield. Not because I'm a safety nut, but because I'm lazy....Plus, it works out on the safety side as well.:rolleyes: Good Tip!!!!

Dennis Peacock
12-28-2005, 9:01 AM
Thanks Bob.....but let's also remember that a faceshield is the "minimum" protection. One can get hurt pretty badly, even with a Jet Mini, with a piece of wood coming off the lathe at 1,000RPM and smacking you in the facemask!!!! When that happens? It's a real wakeup call for using safety gear while turning. DAMHIKT!!!!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Bob Noles
12-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks Bob.....but let's also remember that a faceshield is the "minimum" protection. One can get hurt pretty badly, even with a Jet Mini, with a piece of wood coming off the lathe at 1,000RPM and smacking you in the facemask!!!! When that happens? It's a real wakeup call for using safety gear while turning. DAMHIKT!!!!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Dennis,

If a faceshied is only "minimum" protection, are there better alternatives that we should be aware of?

Bob.... still trying to learn all he can. :eek:

Lee DeRaud
12-28-2005, 10:32 AM
If a faceshied is only "minimum" protection, are there better alternatives that we should be aware of?Full-face motorcycle helmet? :eek:

(I'm half joking, but that's what my neighbor used when he rented a chainsaw to trim his trees...provides pretty decent hearing protection too.:p )

Mike Forsman
12-28-2005, 10:39 AM
As a new turner, this is good information for me and I'm sure other new turners as well. I did wear a face shield with my safety glasses under the face shield. When I did this, it was not because I was thinking about the safety aspect, but because I wear bifocal safety glasses so that I can see when I'm working up close. From my research, I new that wearing a face shield was a good idea but nowhere do I remember anything that indicated both were important.

Jim Becker
12-28-2005, 11:02 AM
I always wear my safety glasses under my full face shield...both for the protection and because my safety glasses have "cheater" lenses so I can see details up close... ;) And thanks for bringing this up...it really is important and something that is often misunderstood.

Pat Salter
12-28-2005, 2:26 PM
I work with just small items so a face shield is probably fine for me but one of our club members works with LARGE items (50 lbs range) and he doesn't wear a face shield. He wears a catchers mask over his safety glasses!

The weight factor is important. when we are just cleaning up with light cuts or working with small items, pens or ornaments, anything that might come off would be easily deflected with a face shield. The club member has had to have emergency dental work done because of something hitting him WITH the face shield. He said all the face shield did was to spread the impact over a larger area.

I think the point of the face shield is that if you get hit with something sharp in the face it could momentarily distract you. You could then accidently make a move that would REALLY be dangerous. Like get a catch with that nasty skew and remove your piece from the chuck!

Having been a safey rep for a shop in the past I have found that the main reason for not wearing the safety gear is the time factor ("I just got busy and forgot to put it on") or the pride factor ("are you kidding? that stuff makes you look like a geek!" or my favorite, "a REAL professional doesn't NEED those things"). I hear the same arguments about using blade guards on saws. None of these excuses sound good to your significant other or the ER folks.

And while we're talking about safety...what about hearing protection? How many pictures have you seen of someone working around machines without any on? I know, another topic, but let me just say this, we all want to hear our SO wisper sweet nothings in our ears, but if they have to yell them it kind of takes away the moment. Trust me, I know.:rolleyes:

Frank Chaffee
12-28-2005, 3:38 PM
Several times I have had metal removed from my eye, always from impacts received while wearing safety glasses and either a face shield or welding helmet. Choose your gear carefully.

What was that you said Pat Salter? Oh yes, you are right there, saying “HUH” at the moment does color the exchange. Protect your hearing too.

The Creek Flows!

Frank

Bob Noles
12-28-2005, 3:49 PM
Pat Salter......

A most excellent post and some great alternatives.

Thanks so much for the extra tips and enhancement to the topic.