PDA

View Full Version : Felder, SCM and ?????

Mark Hockenberg
05-27-2020, 6:21 PM
All,

I'm still thinking about a slider. After readings threads on all the forums, the same names keep coming back - Felder, SCM, used Altendorf, etc.

I would be leaning toward a new Felder K700S, or SCM equivalent at lets say the $10,000+ range. Why don't I hear about other brands? Do these two dominate the market that much?

Cheers,
Mark

Jim Becker
05-27-2020, 7:30 PM
Mark, in the North American marketplace, Felder/Hammer and SCM/Minimax get the most action and have for a long time, especially for the broad spectrum of hobbyists to pros that frequent forums like this. There are certainly a number of other players...even Grizzly offers them...but yea. And for the record, I'm exceedingly happy with my SCM/Minimax tools including my slider. But I would probably also be happy with tools from the Felder camp, too. I do like that I was able to use existing blades when I bought my slider and the "this is what you get" packaging. If you want to be able to select from a variety of options, that's where Felder shines.

Jamie Buxton
05-27-2020, 7:44 PM
Here's a long thread from a couple of years ago about buying a Chinese slider. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?265986-Importing-Combination-Machine-from-China-as-an-Individual-My-Adventure-(So-Far)

Peter Kelly
05-27-2020, 8:58 PM
https://maksiwa.com/usa/sliding-panel-saw-bms3200ir.html

Saw one of these at a partner’s shop down in Brasil a while back, seemed not bad, definitely nicer than the Chinese offerings. I remember seeing a price of around $8k delivered.

Mike Wilkins
05-28-2020, 10:10 AM
Have had a Laguna slider for over 8 years with no concerns or problems at all. Mine is a 5' model due to the small real estate in my shop, but they have larger models with longer sliding tables. If some lottery winnings came my way, there would be a larger shop and a Martin table saw in the mix.
Don't overlook the used market as well.

Stewart Lang
05-28-2020, 10:15 AM
I have a Grizzly slider and love it. I'd have no problems buying a larger one from them as well. I've also had some Minimax/SCM in the shop as well.

Erik Loza
05-28-2020, 11:35 AM
Why don't I hear about other brands? Do these two dominate the market that much?..

Basically, yes. There are not that many European players in what we call the "Standard" or "Classical" (non-automated solid wood machinery) manufacturing sector these days. Much of that industry has re-focused on CNC equipment. There are a few other peripheral players still producing large, industrial sliders for commercial use, such as Altendorf and Martin, but if you want European and if you are in the budget range you mentioned, your choices are going to be Austria or Italy. Hope this helps.

Erik

Todd Solomon
05-28-2020, 11:41 AM
I’ve owned a Mini Max and a Felder, and am on more of a budget now so just picked up a Hammer. Mini Max and Felder were top notch, you’d be very happy with either in that price range. Think about after the sale support as well, and availability of accessories. One advantage that both Mini Max and Felder have is a large number of users in forums that you can reach out to.

Bill Kugler
06-02-2020, 7:48 AM
I don't know if there's a distributor in your area, but when I was looking for a slider/shaper combo, I looked at Hammer, SCM and Robland. Robland made some very nice tools, in a very similar price range to the other two. I ended up going with SCM because the shaper on the Minimax had few features I simply could not get on the Robland. But their machine was quite capable, and I gave it some very serious consideration before deciding.

https://robland.com/en/welcome/

Jim Becker
06-02-2020, 8:54 AM
I don't know if there's a distributor in your area, but when I was looking for a slider/shaper combo, I looked at Hammer, SCM and Robland. Robland made some very nice tools, in a very similar price range to the other two. I ended up going with SCM because the shaper on the Minimax had few features I simply could not get on the Robland. But their machine was quite capable, and I gave it some very serious consideration before deciding.

https://robland.com/en/welcome/

They have been around for a long time, kinda languished, but are now part of Martin and that support should be helpful.

David Kumm
06-02-2020, 9:50 AM
Used sliders are a bargain if you have three phase available. The Altendorf or similar saws, some made by Altendorf ( Holz Her ) use a roller system. SCM, Martin, Griggio, Felder, Casadei, Casolin, SAC, Paolini, etc, use ball bearings. Depends on your preference. Altendorf prior to 1995 had phenolic ways which can wear unevenly so you need to watch for that. Otherwise they are bullet proof. I bought an SCM SI 16 because there are so many out there parts can be found. $5-10 K gets a really decent industrial saw. 10K new gets a much lighter duty machine. Dave

Dan Chouinard
06-02-2020, 12:51 PM
Where would one look for a used three phase slider?

David Kumm
06-02-2020, 1:20 PM
Woodweb, CL, Facebook Marketplace, etc. There are also some decent dealers whose upcharge is reasonable if you don't know much about machines. There are risks of course if you don't do your homework but I see so many complaints about new machines, the risks don't seem so bad given the savings. You do need to understand something about machinery and three phase though. Not hard to learn but takes some time. The benefits are great though. Dave

Mark e Kessler
06-02-2020, 1:39 PM
I have sold machines in the past here https://www.exfactory.com/

Dan Chouinard
06-02-2020, 1:59 PM
Woodweb, CL, Facebook Marketplace, etc. There are also some decent dealers whose upcharge is reasonable if you don't know much about machines. There are risks of course if you don't do your homework but I see so many complaints about new machines, the risks don't seem so bad given the savings. You do need to understand something about machinery and three phase though. Not hard to learn but takes some time. The benefits are great though. Dave
Thanks David. I have been making cabinets for 10 years in a small space getting by with a couple of traditional cabinet saws and a tracksaw. Moving to a much larger space with plenty of room for a slider. Would be using to process plywood and straight line ripping of solid stock. New space has 3 phase power.
Just had a conversation with a friendly guy from Martin who gave me a heart attack with price quote for a new machine. Need to find a used machine...

Jamie Buxton
06-02-2020, 2:15 PM

There's a used Altendorf on San Francisco Craigslist. Of course, that's little help if you're on the East Coast. You should fill out your profile so your location shows on your posts.

Kevin Jenness
06-02-2020, 2:36 PM
I would endorse the idea of finding a used machine in good condition. They're out there, and a good value vs new. There are about 10 on the Woodweb exchange right now including a Martin T71 for only $4k. It looks a little rough, but if it checked out could be a great saw.

Dan Chouinard
06-02-2020, 8:23 PM
Thanks for the tip Jamie. San Fran is a bit far from the NH seacoast. Profile updated.

Peter Kelly
06-02-2020, 10:23 PM
There’s a pretty clean looking late model 12’ Martin T72 A on Allentown PA CL. Seller is asking $15k and has a forklift to assist with loading.

Day’s drive from Portsmouth.

Bryan Hunt
06-04-2020, 6:41 PM
I have a Hammer K4 Perform on order. If you are considering Felder, I can highly recommend Erik Loza. He has been awesome to work with.

Jim Becker
06-04-2020, 6:47 PM
I have a Hammer K4 Perform on order. If you are considering Felder, I can highly recommend Erik Loza. He has been awesome to work with.
Erik is a fine human being that I've known for many years. You are in good hands!

Dan Chouinard
06-05-2020, 11:28 AM
Any opinions on the Robland E2500 that anyone would like to share?

Dan Chouinard
06-20-2020, 9:58 AM

What kind of complaints are common to new machines?

Ray Gutnick
07-17-2020, 2:03 AM
Hi. Just wondering which SCM table saw model(s) would be a reasonable comparison feature-wise to the Felder K700s? The K700s gets good reviews, but I am also hearing positive things about SCM, so I would like to compare apples to apples (if possible). I'm not looking at buying anything for at least 6 months, so I would rather not approach a salesperson yet (eventually it would be nice to see both at a trade show). If anyone can offer their thoughts, that would be great!

Bobby Robbinett
07-17-2020, 7:15 AM
We just got a Griggio at work but haven’t set it up yet. I used to have a big Grizzly slider that I liked just as much as the SCM we had at a prior job. The new Grizzly sliders are very nice and well made. You can get a 12” Grizzly decked out with a 126” cross cut capacity for under $7,000.