PDA

View Full Version : Display stand recommendations?

Ricc Havens
05-25-2020, 2:33 PM
I'm just finished the decorative bow in the photo below. I think I'll call it "Rain Drops"

Working on a couple others with decorative edges/rims.

Not sure I like the stand my wife had laying around that I used in the photo. Looking for ideas for display stands that will hold something up but not be too distracting or obstructive to the displayed bowl or platter.

If you have something "store bought" that you like and use please share sources.

If you have a home made version you want to share please include a photo or two and maybe even a ball park of dimensions.

Thanks
Ricc

John K Jordan
05-25-2020, 8:28 PM
... Looking for ideas for display stands that will hold something up but not be too distracting or obstructive to the displayed bowl or platter.
If you have something "store bought" that you like and use please share sources.

Ricc,

I always use Arkon folding stands made for iPad and such: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CKVOOY

I like them since they are sturdy, fold nicely, and I think look good in basic black. And work with the iPad when needed! I think I bought a dozen or so. As you can see, the support is adjustable so I can put them closer or further apart as I feel like. The back support is adjustable too so I can adjust for various thickness - the small squarish platters I make have relatively thick bases so I can tilt the back support to give me the look I want.

433791 433792 433793

I use them for photography and carry them to demos when I want to display things on a table. My wife stole one to use with her large iPad at the table. In fact, good reminder, I'm ordering a few more while thinking about it!

I'm afraid I don't like most of the shiny metal ones much. I think they distract from the turning as the focal point.

JKJ

tom lucas
05-25-2020, 8:41 PM
I made several plate stands on my scroll saw for the wife. Patterns all over the internet to do this. This give you a chance to add another artistic element to the piece.

Ricc Havens
05-26-2020, 8:50 AM
John - thanks I will check them out.

Tom - good idea but I don't have a scroll saw. I gave it away a few years ago as I'm considered legally blind (only have 8-9% center vision in left eye and my right eye is mostly an unfocused blur that glasses won't help). It was too hard to use following small lines with a small blade. that's why I do turning instead of flatwork. On flatwork if you are off a little with cuts or joinery your project may not go together correctly. With most (but not all) turning if you are off a little it can be an artistic "design change" or "I meant to do that" ;)

Keep the ideas coming!
Ricc

John K Jordan
05-26-2020, 9:35 AM
... I don't have a scroll saw. I gave it away a few years ago as I'm considered legally blind (only have 8-9% center vision in left eye and my right eye is mostly an unfocused blur that glasses won't help). It was too hard to use following small lines with a small blade. that's why I do turning instead of flatwork. On flatwork if you are off a little with cuts or joinery your project may not go together correctly. With most (but not all) turning if you are off a little it can be an artistic "design change" or "I meant to do that" ;)

Ricc, wow, you certainly do impressive work in spite of your vision limitations!! (My Lovely Bride has similar challenges - her left eye is nothing but an uncorrectable blur (light but no recognizable shapes) and her other eye has quite limited peripheral vision.)

I like your comment about the artistic flexibility! So far my vision is good but I make generous use of unplanned design opportunities!

JKJ

Dave Mount
05-26-2020, 9:43 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but I'd like to hear a little more about how the rim was decorated! Very striking.

Ricc Havens
05-26-2020, 9:51 AM
Ricc, wow, you certainly do impressive work in spite of your vision limitations!! (My Lovely Bride has similar challenges - her left eye is nothing but an uncorrectable blur (light but no recognizable shapes) and her other eye has quite limited peripheral vision.)

I like your comment about the artistic flexibility! So far my vision is good but I make generous use of unplanned design opportunities!

JKJ

Thanks John for the compliment! I have what is called RP - short for retinitis pigmentosa - a form of macular degeneration. It's hereditary and I was told at age 5 that I'd I'd go blind some day. So over the years I have lost all peripheral vision and my right has gone to a blur as my retinal cells don't regenerate. But, I have gotten used to it and as it's been gradual loss over the past 5o+ years that has allowed me to adjust and adapt. I can still turn but I only see a portion of the turning at a time and it takes me a little bit longer to turn a bowl than it does for Stuart Batty or Ashley Harwood! :D:D

Ricc

John K Jordan
05-26-2020, 10:23 AM
...it takes me a little bit longer to turn a bowl than it does for Stuart Batty or Ashley Harwood! :D:D

Aah, those people are way overrated! :) I think I would win the award for being the slowest woodturning in the southeast - I can spend 30 minutes turning a finger top and two days on a little platter. I think there is more joy and satisfaction in the creation than bragging rights from the race!

Ricc Havens
05-26-2020, 11:43 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but I'd like to hear a little more about how the rim was decorated! Very striking.

Dave, here is a video I saw. It's a live stream so I skipped ahead from time to time while he was turning the bowl until he got to the embellishing technique. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzw87txDHS0&t=4321s

Ricc

Rob Luter
05-26-2020, 2:25 PM

JKJ

I have a couple bowls Ricc turned and can attest to his skill set. Very nice stuff!

Ricc Havens
05-26-2020, 3:23 PM
Thanks Rob! I appreciate the compliment!

Dick Mahany
05-26-2020, 5:37 PM
I can't help you with the stand, however I really the piece! Are the "drops" textured as they appear? The color shadings are very intriguing.

John K Jordan
05-26-2020, 5:55 PM
I can't help you with the stand, however I really the piece! Are the "drops" textured as they appear? The color shadings are very intriguing.

My questions too. My vote is for some additional photos.

Ricc Havens
05-27-2020, 8:52 AM
Aah, those people are way overrated! :) I think I would win the award for being the slowest woodturning in the southeast - I can spend 30 minutes turning a finger top and two days on a little platter. I think there is more joy and satisfaction in the creation than bragging rights from the race!

Hey Dick and JKJ, no texture. it's flat. Check the youtube link above in my response #9 to Dave. It's a technique with spray paints and actual water. Easier watch the video than for me to try and explain it. You may want to skip thru the video some as he's recording a live stream and the actual turjning of the wood until he gets to the embellishing technique portion.

Ricc

Ricc Havens
05-27-2020, 8:53 AM
Still looking for display stand ideas

Ricc

William C Rogers
05-27-2020, 1:53 PM
Hobby Lobby has display stands. They have several different styles and finishes. I have some of several types. For smaller bowls, I tend to like the ones that raise the bowl.

Ricc Havens
05-28-2020, 9:00 AM
Hobby Lobby has display stands. They have several different styles and finishes. I have some of several types. For smaller bowls, I tend to like the ones that raise the bowl.

Thanks William for the HL recommendation. I will check them out more. I like the idea of the stands raise up the bowls, but not sure I'm a fan of the big metal "curly q" on the front that would block some of the decorative rim of the bowl I'm wanting to display. But I will see what else they have.

Ricc

John K Jordan
05-28-2020, 9:48 AM
Hey Ricc,

For an unobtrusive stand without distracting embellishment, sturdy, last forever, very unique - how about getting a blacksmith to make some from pounded steel? They might need a bit of black felt or rubber padding in places but I think they would look unique and be functional. Could be made to hold the piece at whatever height you wanted. Could be made in two simple parts and welded together, possibly with a hinge. I'm imagining the contrast between the finely finished turning and the rustic pounded iron would be visually attractive.

There are lots of amateur blacksmiths around. Just mentioning it, a friend made a bunch of horse hoof picks for me from horse shoes. I give them to other friends as presents.

Cutting stands from steel plate with a plasma cutter might be another way to go. I might try that myself.

JKJ

William C Rogers
05-28-2020, 2:10 PM
Thanks William for the HL recommendation. I will check them out more. I like the idea of the stands raise up the bowls, but not sure I'm a fan of the big metal "curly q" on the front that would block some of the decorative rim of the bowl I'm wanting to display. But I will see what else they have.

Ricc

I’m not a fan of the curly either. I was going to cut them off, but haven’t got around to it yet.

Ricc Havens
05-29-2020, 9:24 AM
Hey Ricc,

For an unobtrusive stand without distracting embellishment, sturdy, last forever, very unique - how about getting a blacksmith to make some from pounded steel? They might need a bit of black felt or rubber padding in places but I think they would look unique and be functional. Could be made to hold the piece at whatever height you wanted. Could be made in two simple parts and welded together, possibly with a hinge. I'm imagining the contrast between the finely finished turning and the rustic pounded iron would be visually attractive.

There are lots of amateur blacksmiths around. Just mentioning it, a friend made a bunch of horse hoof picks for me from horse shoes. I give them to other friends as presents.

Cutting stands from steel plate with a plasma cutter might be another way to go. I might try that myself.

JKJ

Interesting idea. But the only blacksmith type person I know is my cousin and he's a meatl artist and likes to charge even family members "art show" pricing on simple welding repairs. Having them made by any other blacksmith would probably cost more than a "store bought" stand if i can find a "store bought" one that looks nice and simple. I'm on a disability income so I try to keep an eye on my costs. But, custom made ones might end up being what I need to do.

Ricc

tom lucas
05-29-2020, 11:14 AM
A couple of thoughts to make your own

a turned and machined stand from wood using lathe, routers, power grinders, jig saws, etc. I can envision a number of styles that can be fashioned to be attractive, from rustic to simulated bamboo to art deco.
Brazed together metal (brass, aluminum). Use similar technique to dress up cuts left from removing curly-q's from store bought ones.
Bend/cut your own iron - doable with the right fixturing.
combination of wood and metal

You could embellish with accents that fit with the piece being displayed.

And "custom" purchase from a third party laser cutting service using thin materials of choice: wood, metal, plastics. These are cheaper than you might think, especially in quantity.
Similar to above but 3D printed.

You'd have to create your own design (scroll saw patterns can be laser cut though).

There may be a chinese source for iron ones, that would be cheap per unit, but usually require minimum buy quantities.

Peter Blair
06-02-2020, 8:52 AM
John I couldn't agree more. Lucky for me I am never in a rush and don't do production so I can really enjoy the process. The only time I find my self rushing is when I'm turning green!

Dave Keele
06-03-2020, 9:40 AM
Here is a simple stand that can be made from scrap wood. Plate shown is 8" OD. I can turn up to 10.5" on my lathe and this stand will work on them as well. I cut the dowel to length to best fit the plate size.

Ricc Havens
06-04-2020, 8:49 AM
Here is a simple stand that can be made from scrap wood. Plate shown is 8" OD. I can turn up to 10.5" on my lathe and this stand will work on them as well. I cut the dowel to length to best fit the plate size.

Dave, nice looking stand. How do you cut the nice smooth curved slot in the base?

Ricc

Dave Keele
06-04-2020, 2:52 PM
Dave, nice looking stand. How do you cut the nice smooth curved slot in the base?

Ricc

With the base held in place, I raised , then lowered, a dado blade on a table saw, about 1/2"

Ricc Havens
06-05-2020, 8:31 AM
With the base held in place, I raised , then lowered, a dado blade on a table saw, about 1/2"

THANKS!!

Ricc

Dick Mahany
06-05-2020, 9:44 AM

I really like that stand. Thanks for the idea.