PDA

View Full Version : Time to say bye to an old friend and hi to a new one

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Tonight the new owner of my Jet mini Lathe came over and took it home with him. It treated me well for as long as I have had it and I hate to see it go, but I had to make room for my new Rikon.

I didn't get the bed extention, and it looks like I'll have to make an add-on section to my lathe bench, when I do.

The Rikon looks good there and I already have some work for it to do.

Thanks for lookin'

Bruce;)

Dennis Peacock
12-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Crank'em out Bruce.!!!! Congrats on the new lathe. Let's see sumpin ROUND from that thing!!!!!:D

Andy Hoyt
12-27-2005, 11:03 PM
Way too clean Bruce. Get some crud growing on it.

Mark Cothren
12-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Looks good Bruce! Congratulations!

Corey Hallagan
12-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Bruce! Looks like a beauty!

Corey

John Hart
12-28-2005, 12:10 AM
After you gave up your first Rikon to that guy at Woodcraft, I figured you'd have to wait a couple weeks! Congratulations Bruce! Rock-n-Roll!

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2005, 12:12 AM
Congrats Bruce. Now you can make some chips fly.

dennis kranz
12-28-2005, 1:01 AM
WTG on the new lathe. Will be looking for a tool review after you use it a couple of times. I went to my local Woodcraft today to check it out. Seemed like a nice machine.
Dennis

Bob Noles
12-28-2005, 5:49 AM
Bruce,

Way to go! Great looking set up and ready for action.

Bob Yarbrough
12-28-2005, 6:48 AM
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. Back in November, I read some good comments about the lathe by somebody named "BRUCE", took the advice and ran to Woodcraft! Cranked out 30 pens and 5 kaldiscopes for X-Mas gifts. Whole lot of fun.

Bob

Jim Becker
12-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Congrats on the new lathe, Bruce. And do post a review of this machine...not many folks know about it...including moi...

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Since I have used the one at Woodcraft to do some demonstrations, I was sold before I bought it. In setting it up, I checked the alignment of the two centers. They were just a hair off right to left, so loosened the four head screws, tapped it several times with a mallet and it's now dead-on. The threading on the spindle is much better than on the demo machine.

I did give it a test run just to make sure it works and had chips a flyin'.......Didn't make anything, just made a square...........round........At 3900. Didn't feel much difference between that and the 3975 of the Jet.

More news later.........Have to go pick up what's left from the Nature center Art Show. Would be nice if it was only a CHECK! HeHe

See ya later.

Bruce

Dick Parr
12-28-2005, 6:50 PM
Congrats Bruce on the new lathe. Have fun with it.

Ernie Nyvall
12-28-2005, 7:10 PM
Good going Bruce. Congrats on the new lathe.

Ernie

Joe Mioux
12-28-2005, 9:08 PM
Hi Bruce:

Why did you change from the Jet mini to the Rokon?

Joe

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-28-2005, 9:26 PM
Well Joe, The main reasons are as follows:

The swing is 12" vs 10" and the turning length is 16" vs 14" with a very similar footprint. As you may be able to see from the pictures, I don't have room for a full sized lathe and the Rikon gives me more capacity.

Both were/are NOT variable speed, so ease of changing belts is important. The Rikon is much easier.

The Rikon has indexing vs none on the Jet.

I had a buyer for the Jet.

Lest anyone think that I don't like the Jet, let me say this about the it. I've had it over two years; turned in excess of 500 pens, a hundred bowls, boxes, etc., several table legs and hung a lot of out of balance wood on it and have been very happy with its performance.

Bruce;)