PDA

View Full Version : GFCI Issue

Mike Goetzke
05-23-2020, 10:13 PM
We have had a hot tub (guess they call them spas now) since around 2009 or 2010. I had to replace the GFCI breakers in 2011 do to a wire being slightly loose in the main panel - my error, found out later these cables take a set so need to be moved around a bit after installation and re-tightened a few times.

The sub-panel for the tub has two 240V GFCI breakers. A 30A for heater/pumps and 20A that is for lights and electronics.

Here is my strange problem (just started few days ago). Once in a while when you turn "OFF" a pump/jet or when a cleaning cycle ends the 30A GFCI trips. These go for around $100 so don't want to just buy one and find it's something else. It was tripping almost every time I turned off the small pump that performs the cleaning cycle. I opened the sub-panel which is outside and it had quite a few cobwebs and spider webs. I cleaned them out and no issues for two days. Now getting intermittent trips. Was think next step is to open the panel on the tub and blow it out - it has to have the same cobwebs and spider webs as the subpanel. (Heard it was possible for these webs to trick the GFCI.)

If I Google the issue seems everyone has issues when turning devices on not off like me. This makes me think it has something to do with the 30A GFCI breaker - the GFCI function of it.

Appreciate help troubleshooting this.

Thanks
Mike

Rod Sheridan
05-25-2020, 7:53 AM
I’ve experienced many tripping issues with inductive loads fed from GFCI devices.

In some cases adding a small snubber capacitor (.47uF) in series with a 47 ohm 2 watt resistor has been helpful.

Regards, Rod

P.S. Sometimes running a non inductive load at the time you shut the inductive load off will prevent the trip, I do this with our statuary pump, turn it off before turning the landscape lighting off.

Mike Goetzke
05-25-2020, 8:19 AM
Was too busy yesterday to respond but I indeed found a leak! GFCI was doing it’s job.

Looks like a pump seal with intermittent leak but one time it was spraying. Now I need to wrestle that pump out of the tub to repaid it.

Bill Dufour
05-25-2020, 9:37 AM
On my sisters swimming pool pump the bearings and seal went bad. We were able to buy the exact same pump unit. I just pulled the motor and impeller bearing side of the new pump. I did not have to touch the plumbing. If room is tight I recommend putting a short cord and twist lock plug on the new motor.
Bill D