PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Lathe

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2005, 9:04 PM
Ok, got home from Denvr today and played a while on the lathe. I got a 1/2" spindle gouge and 3/8" bowl gouge per Andy's instruction. I also got the wolverine jig with the vari-grind attachment. I got a the pink 120 grit wheel. My lovely wife behind my back bought me a book and video by Richard Raffan which was a nice suprise and should go well with Bill Grumbines DVD.

So just for Andy here is the Weishapl factor in action. First pix is the lathe with "yes" shavings, second is a couple of pieces left over from cutting pen blanks I just turned to try out different tools and also in the second picture on the right was a 1 3/4" X 1 3/4" walnut square I turned down to a 1" dowel. The third picture is the new pinnacle gouges and the fourth is the wolverine jig.

It is not much for now but got to play with a lot of gouges, skews and parting knives. I want to watch this video by Richard Raffan before I get in too deep. The guy told my wife the book was written toward a person just starting turning. The video follows the book so you can see what is happening.

Dennis Peacock
12-27-2005, 9:11 PM
Congrats Bernie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll be spoiled in no time.!!;) :D

Bob Noles
12-27-2005, 9:58 PM
Bernie,

Your first bowls look almost as good as mine :D :D :D

Wow.... nice tools and even nicer wife I'd say. You are going to love that Wolverine too. :cool: :)

Corey Hallagan
12-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Allright Bernie! Your just jumping right into this!! Very kewl, my lathe hasn't even been shipped. Very kewl of the wife, you must be a pretty nice guy! I guess I might have to come out to Goodland to get a lesson :)

Corey

Andy Hoyt
12-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Mr. Bernie, sir. You are officially "off the hook" and a confirmed and committed wood spinner. Of course, if you get too deep into this you'll end up being committed another way. Bah Dah Bump.

Keep at it. Everyday. Make it happen. Enjoy.

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2005, 12:17 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Tomorrow going to setup the Wolverine and sharpen some gouges. Got my 7 mm bit so there might be a pen in the works if I can get the sharpening setup and my honey-do list done. Course I can't complain. It was mighty nice of her to get me the book and video. She told me it cause of our anniversery 12/30. 38 yrs. she has put up with me. Oh and gotta start work on her candle holders to.

John Hart
12-28-2005, 6:15 AM
Very nice Bernie! Looks like you've acheived some decent straightness on your cylinders. That's pretty great in itself. I have trouble with that and need to work on it some more. Nice right out of the starting block!;) :)

Keith Christopher
12-28-2005, 8:12 AM
GO Bernie !!!!!

Gary DeWitt
12-28-2005, 8:46 AM
You're off to a great start, Bernie. Sounds like you're as lucky as I am in the wife dept. too! You are right, best to watch and read a bit before you develop any bad habits at the lathe. Keep practicing and sharing pics!

John, do you use a gouge or skew for your last pass on a cylinder? I find a good size skew gives me more control, but that may just be me.

John Hart
12-28-2005, 9:17 AM
John, do you use a gouge or skew for your last pass on a cylinder? I find a good size skew gives me more control, but that may just be me.

Yep...just starting to get comfortable with my skew. I used to do everything with a gouge or a round-nose scraper but I'm starting to get better results from the skew. Thanks Gary...sounds like I'm on the right track.;)

Keith Burns
12-28-2005, 9:30 AM
Gotta love it when things start spinning :) .

Jim Becker
12-28-2005, 11:03 AM
That's not dirty!!! Sheesh...you've only just begun. No CA stains. No finsh drips. No dings from tools-gone-wild. LOL :D

Dick Parr
12-28-2005, 6:53 PM
Congrats Bernie, you are going to be having some fun on those cold days. Enjoy it.