PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of digital 8 tapes to disc

Brian Deakin
05-22-2020, 2:22 PM
I have a Sony Digital 8 camcorder and would like to transfer the Digital 8 tapes onto discs

This is my understanding of the task

The camcorder has a I.Link port ,my computer does not have a I.Link port

Possible solution
Purchase/borrow a DVD recorder ,purchase a I.Link cable from Sony
Use the cable and recorder to transfer the digital 8 tapes to disc

Jim Becker
05-22-2020, 4:14 PM
It may be simpler to just have a service business take care of the transfer as it's something they do all the time. Yes, there's a fee, but by the time you get it working and then spend the (real time) time doing the transfer of however many tapes of content you want to preserve, it may be worth it.

Myk Rian
05-22-2020, 9:39 PM
I have a Hauppagh capture card in my machine. I plugged the camera into it, and recorded as it ran. Then I transferred them to DVD.
Had about 30 tapes so it took a while.

Brian Deakin
05-23-2020, 3:57 AM
Thank you Myk and Jim for your replies .I live in the United Kingdom and I have about 50 tapes to transfer The price I have been quoted is £10 ($13) per tape which equates to $650 and this is the reason I am exploring other options

Curt Harms
05-23-2020, 8:31 AM
Thank you Myk and Jim for your replies .I live in the United Kingdom and I have about 50 tapes to transfer The price I have been quoted is £10 ($13) per tape which equates to $650 and this is the reason I am exploring other options

That price doesn't appear out of line. Here's a U.S. vendor:

https://legacybox.com/

40 Tapes or films $1099.99. Video capture devices are not uncommon. The trick may be getting the playback device to talk to the capture device. Sony has a reputation for being a little 'difficult' in that respect.

Ole Anderson
05-23-2020, 8:51 AM
I don't have one, but I do have a bunch of Hi-8 tapes from my Sony Digital Handicam I might want to transfer to my computer. Here is one analog solution by Pinnacle: https://www.pinnaclesys.com/en/products/dazzle/dvd-recorder-hd/?gclid=CjwKCAjwk6P2BRAIEiwAfVJ0rJBtXo9ZLHLK7R3O-RX7ULggjMY-ioIDKh6aA0ZV-UM-yPpcghM70RoCXxkQAvD_BwE

This would use your 1/8" TRS audio/video out pin, and allows use of the s-video cable for better quality. Not sure if the I.Link port would result in better quality.

Or you can peruse Amazon for a solution: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hi-8+to+digital+converter&crid=1TRJ52V3ZUIMD&sprefix=Hi-8%2Caps%2C173&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_4

John K Jordan
05-23-2020, 11:07 AM
20 years ago I shot a lot in digital 8 for my work and transfered to my computers for editing, then burned DVDs, made digital files, or put the video onto BetacamSP or VHS or other tape formats. But I retired in '06 and can't remember what I used? I still have all the equipment (sitting idle) so I might be able to figure it out.

At that time getting the video into the computer (digitizing) for editing was the hardest step in the entire process. I understand things got so much easier later but I have no suggestions for hardware. I have dumped tape directly to a DVD recorder through S-video (or component) but of course that way, you can't edit it first. My camcorders didn't have S-video output but I put the tapes in a stand-alone digital-8 recorder/player and digitized from there. I technically still have that player and you could borrow it, but I'd have to get it back from a friend I loaned it to years ago. (if he's still around!)

If dumping directly to DVD is OK for your use, it might be the easiest thing to do. I'm sure I still have some DVD recorders around but nothing has been turned on in 15 years. I'd think you could buy a DVD recorder but finding a player that would connect to it might be the problem.

There are video production places who might do that, the easiest thing and maybe not even the most expensive if the alternative is buying hardware. My son worked for one in Greenville SC but he's freelance now. If you want I could ask him what options he knows about.

JKJ

I have a Sony Digital 8 camcorder and would like to transfer the Digital 8 tapes onto discs

This is my understanding of the task

The camcorder has a I.Link port ,my computer does not have a I.Link port

Possible solution
Purchase/borrow a DVD recorder ,purchase a I.Link cable from Sony
Use the cable and recorder to transfer the digital 8 tapes to disc

Brian Deakin
05-23-2020, 2:46 PM
Thank you to everyone for your advice

John I live in Quorn Leicestershire (Uk) , travelling 4008 miles to collect a player would be a little tricky during the present lockdown but a huge thank you for your kind offer

Ralph Okonieski
05-23-2020, 6:38 PM
I have an old win pc, I think it is win 7. It has a Hp dc5000 dvd writer attached to it. I can connect my Sony digital 8 camera directly to it and convert directly with software on the pc. It looks to me like the following will do similar. It may involve purchase of software and hardware, though.

https://dvdcreator.wondershare.com/dvd-tips/hi8-to-dvd.html

i really have no knowledge of this software other than a quick read on their website. Their company Facebook page seems to have recent additions but I did not look closely. Perhaps it is worth further investigation?

I have no affiliation with this company or software and have not purchased anything from them.

good luck with your conversion.

Scott Kilroy
05-26-2020, 3:33 PM
I used https://www.imemories.com/ it's a little pricey but you can't beat the customer service. iLink (as far as I know) is just firewire so you get a cheap firewire card and cable.

Kev Williams
05-26-2020, 7:04 PM
I have a bunch of 8mm tapes I've been trying to get to DVD for years. The problem, my camera went bad. Bought a used one from a guy thru want ads, it worked for about 5 hours, then threw a drive belt. So I got another one on bay, old huge honker, works like a champ, records great, and plays back great- but won't play back MY tapes, tracking won't line up for love nor money. So I just went online to see if there's another way to do this. Lo and behold, I just found out that Hi-8 and Digital-8 cameras and players will play regular 8mm tapes...

But the main reason I'm posting up is, just in case anyone's interested, I found a Sony CCD-TR81 Handycam Hi-8 Video Camera BOX on ebay... JUST the empty box. Only asking $249.99, for an empty box, and only $20 shipping added. Squaretrade will sell you a 1 year protection plan for only $24.99. Only 294.98 out the door for an empty box...
ummm...http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/thinking.gif

That's nearly as bad at $1100 to transfer 40 tapes. I have MORE than 40 to copy. But if we can binge-watch every episode of Dexter, 24, Walking Dead and Chicago PD, I'm pretty sure I can watch 100 hours of our own movies. ;) --now if I can just find a player that will RUN 100 hours without breaking down :D

John K Jordan
05-26-2020, 10:38 PM
... Lo and behold, I just found out that Hi-8 and Digital-8 cameras and players will play regular 8mm tapes...
--now if I can just find a player that will RUN 100 hours without breaking down :D

Kev,

Just to be clear, are your tapes Video8? I shot Video8 for a while then switched to Hi-8 then to Digital-8.

One thing to consider, many Hi-8 and Digital-8 devices WILL play Video-8 but not all of them. At one time I experimented with what would play what and found some discrepancies. Can't remember the details, but if possible try before you buy.

I recently gave away my good Sony 3-chip Digital-8 camcorder, what beautiful shots compared to earlier formats. I still have some 8 things left: a Hi-8 Sony camcorder (TR700), a Sony Video8 recorder/player deck, and one fairly high end Canon E708. (I have a custom-built underwater housing for the Canon - used it a lot while scuba diving.) Another problem with playback on these devices is the manufacturers limited the video output of some camcorders and even higher end video cameras, presumably to sell more pro equipment to those who wanted to do real work. Some are restrained to composite video output while some include S-video.

433865 433866

Maybe you want to borrow my Video-8 deck for a while? It's guaranteed to play Video-8 tapes, at least if it still works. :) I haven't turned it on for decades!

Someday I'll find someone interested in all of this in trade for some wood or an old bandsaw or a plow. In the stack are a couple of professional VHS decks, if you can believe such a thing (I used them to copy VHS and the video AND audio quality was highly superior to consumer VHS), a $16,000 BetacamSP deck that was the best-of-the-best in it's day, a truckload of support devices and cables.

Can't give this some of this stuff away these days. Maybe I could sell it on ebay to fit into someone's empty box. :)

In case anyone is the least interested, this the room in my basement where I worked for years, video editing, graphics, 3d modeling/animation. The absolute best job in the world, great work, but so glad to be retired and raising llamas and peacocks and digging in the dirt now!

JKJ

Brian Deakin
06-03-2020, 3:37 PM
A huge thank you to everyone for your replies and advice

I believe I have identified a solution but have 4 further questions

The solution I have chosen is to purchase a used

Sony VRD-MC5 Compact DVD Recorder from E bay

This will allow me to transfer the tapes directly

The questions I need to answer are which method provides the best results in transferring the tapes to disc

(1) Purchase a Sony I Link cable .Both the camcorder and Sony Dvd player have I Link ports
or
(2) Connect the camcorder and DVD recorder using Triple 3x RCA to RCA Phono Stereo (Cable with Yellow, Red and White connectors)

I telephoned Sony support and they said using the three cables (red,
white and yellow) was a better option than using an I Link cable but I am not convinced

(3)The older recordings are in Hi 8 and later recordings are in Digital 8 and will the choice of cable impact on the quality of the recording

(4) What type of disc to purchase Dvd +R or Dvd -R From my limited research and understanding I am drawn Dvd +R

Ralph Okonieski
06-03-2020, 6:48 PM
I can only speak from my experience. I use the three RCA type wires (red, yellow, white) to do the transfer. Quality is pretty good. I also use +R dvd.

roger wiegand
06-04-2020, 8:24 AM
If I.Link is a digital connection (it's a proprietary name for Firewire/IEEE-1394?) then quality will almost certainly be better than using the analog RCA connectors.It's hard to imagine that fewer D-->A-->D conversions won't be better.

I'm regretting transferring my old recordings to DVD. The home burned disks don't last long (ones I did 10 years ago are failing), and we no longer have a DVD player hooked up on a regular basis. I have to go get it out of a closet to play a DVD, which never happens. I'm now re-transferring them to digital format on my NAS where they can be played directly to the TV and also get backed up to an off-site server so they won't get lost in a disaster.

John K Jordan
06-04-2020, 8:39 AM
If I.Link is a digital connection (it's a proprietary name for Firewire/IEEE-1394?) then quality will almost certainly be better than using the analog RCA connectors.It's hard to imagine that fewer D-->A-->D conversions won't be better.

I also don't know about specifics the i-link but from my experience with video "composite" video (3 cables, red and white for audio and yellow for video) is the lowest quality of all the formats I've used in my video work before I retired. There is another three cable format called "component" which is vastly superior, however it requires two additional cables for audio. S-video is superior to composite but not as high quality as component. IEEE-1394 is supposedly excellent but at the time it wasn't widely available on pro video equipment.

I'll bet someone on the internet has a list of the pros and cons of the various video transfer formats!

Curt Harms
06-04-2020, 8:46 AM

I'm regretting transferring my old recordings to DVD. The home burned disks don't last long (ones I did 10 years ago are failing), and we no longer have a DVD player hooked up on a regular basis. I have to go get it out of a closet to play a DVD, which never happens. I'm now re-transferring them to digital format on my NAS where they can be played directly to the TV and also get backed up to an off-site server so they won't get lost in a disaster.

There is an option for DVD and BluRay that supposedly will last a very long time and can be played in any DVD player. Writers have to be MDisc capable. The media isn't exactly cheap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

Brian Deakin
06-04-2020, 1:29 PM
The links below may be useful to anyone with a Sony camcorder I found it very difficult to identify the pin configuration for the camcorder I Link port
Please see links below

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00006751

All Sony digital camcorders have a 4-pin i.LINK connection.

and

https://www.cablestogo.com/learning/connector-guides/firewire

Brian Deakin
06-09-2020, 4:21 PM
Success

I purchased a Sony vrd-mc5 dvd recorder for $80 and it was a simple process in transfer the tapes to Disc

I would certainly recommend this approach

There are a few considerations early Sony dvd models eg mv3 do not transfer in HQ The later mc5 does record in HQ (please check this is my understanding)
The mc5 can be used to make recording but does not operate as a player
The mc10 model both records and plays dvds
These may be considerations and should reflect the price you pay if considering purchasing one of these recorders

John K Jordan
06-09-2020, 4:48 PM
Success

I purchased a Sony vrd-mc5 dvd recorder for $80 and it was a simple process in transfer the tapes to Disc

Good information!

When you have the DVDs in hand perhaps you can rip the digital file and use backups to avoid the possible loss of home-burned disks from deterioration Roger warned against here:
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?283002-Transfer-of-digital-8-tapes-to-disc&p=3026680#post3026680

Brian Deakin
06-10-2020, 8:10 AM
Thank you john for your post

My final question My understanding is that Sony were involved in the development of DVD +R

The Sony DVD MV5 recorder I have can record in both DVD -R and DVD+R which type of disc would be the best choice

Other

I do have about 40 unused DVD_R discs is it worth the expense of purchasing DVD +r discs or should I simply use the discs I have

Curt Harms
06-10-2020, 8:30 AM
In addition to the Mdiscs I mentioned earlier, there are archival quality DVDs not usually available at office supply stores. Here's one source I have in my bookmarks. I have no association with them and have never ordered from them. I have no idea about shipping.

https://www.mediasupply.com/archive-data-storage.html

Brian Deakin
06-12-2020, 9:50 AM
Summery
Please see posts above

Additional information
If you decide to go down the route of using a Sony vrd mc recorder please consider the following
(1) My understanding is using the DV (i link port) provides the best method of transfer and you need to purchase a 4 pin to 4 pin I link cable (other models may have a usb connection which provides a hd format)
(2) Ideally it may be best to use DVD +R discs as Sony were involved in the creation of DVD +R and the recorder records in this format My limited understanding suggests it may be a better format
(3) I found my older tapes were recorded in long play mode so you need to give consideration the the capacity of the discs (I used 8.5GB discs ) otherwise you may need to transfer your video onto several discs which may not be ideal (suggest play tape in camcoder and measure running time to determine disc capacity needed)
(4) I would suggest use better quality discs example. Verbatim higher quality discs
(5) When using the Sony DVD recorder ensure the tape has fully re-winded before recording check this visually
(6) Do not be tempted to touch your camcorder once you have started the transfer process I found on several occasions picking up the camcorder affected the transfer process ... leave well alone
(7) Use a camcorder head cleaner before making transfer of data to ensure the recording heads are in optimum condition
(8) The I link connection port is quite tight take care when connecting the cables to the camcorder and recorder
(9) After making recording check the running time of the dvds If the dvd is full this may be an indication you have not transferred the entire content of the tape Check by playing the tape in the camcorder and using a stop watch to measure the running time then compare to the dvd running time
Ideally the Sony recorder should prompt you to use more discs but this additional check may be a consideration

Post Script
Please ensure you read the Sony manual carefully if you have a Sony handycam there are various models and methods of connecting the camcorder and recorder The method impacts upon the transfer quality

There is a reference page in the manual indicating connection method and transfer quality
Further it can be slightly confusing I have a Sony digital 8 camera and there is a separate section for this camcorder When I initially read the manual I was followed the instructions for another handycam model and the on screen options were a little confusing
eg Sony digital handycam only has full and manual recording options other models have different options

In summery read the manual carefully

Brian Deakin
06-14-2020, 5:32 AM
Final thoughts on transfer
Read the manual of you camcorder very carefully My camcorder has a number of ports and the choice of port determines the quality of the recordings transferred do not assume the I Link port is the best method

If deciding to purchase a Sony vrd mc player before making a purchase identify the model and features My understanding is models were produced at different price points and the price reflected the recorders available features
Example my understanding is there are models that record in standard definition and models that record in a hd
further I believe the vrdmc 10 both records and plays dvd other models do(may) not

A possible way forward in choosing which Sony vrd to purchase could be to first read the manual on line and view the diagram of the available ports