PDA

View Full Version : Bug zapper lights - declining popularity?

Stephen Tashiro
05-22-2020, 1:01 PM
Have bug zapper lights declined in popularity?

Locally, I find no bug zapper lights for sale at hardware stores. Home Depot and Lowes doesn't stock them. Sutherlands and the local Ace Hardware don't have any. They can be purchased online, but why aren't they stocked in stores?

It's well known that bug zapper lights are ineffective in controlling mosquitoes, but they do kill houseflies. Have bug zappers been make obsolete by the small fan-powered mosquito control units and lures that stores do stock?

Thomas McCurnin
05-22-2020, 1:18 PM
My assumption is that they are in short supply because of the meat shortage

Frank Pratt
05-22-2020, 2:16 PM
Lots of them on Amazon.

Dennis Heskett
05-22-2020, 3:09 PM
I have Dyna Traps. Best ones I have ever used.

Roger Feeley
05-22-2020, 5:14 PM
I remember an article in Consumer Reports a long time ago that was particularly candid. After explaining that the device is more effective at attracting bugs than killing them, the author suggested that the smart play is to buy one and give it to your neighbor.

Perry Hilbert Jr
05-22-2020, 8:33 PM
Environmentalists also claim the things kill as many beneficial bugs as pests. My house sits on the edge of the woods and we have a wrap around porch to sit out on. We had a bug zapper, but it did attract far more than it killed. We learned that if we keep the lights away from the area we sit on, the bugs will be drawn to the light and leave us alone. I also got some table top torches and put a clean burning oil in them. I set one or two of those on the table and buds simply fly into the flame. They throw only a small amount of light, but it kills dozens of insects in a minute.

Bill Bukovec
05-22-2020, 9:03 PM
When we lived in Minnesota the mosquitos were horrible. So we moved to Tennessee!

Lee Schierer
05-22-2020, 10:10 PM
I think that once it was revealed that they didn't take care of mosquitoes people lost interest in them.

Curt Harms
05-23-2020, 8:57 AM
When we lived in Minnesota the mosquitos were horrible. So we moved to Tennessee!

Aren't mosquitoes the state bird of Minnesota?:)

Stan Calow
05-23-2020, 9:49 AM
We've taken to setting up a fan outside on the deck where we sit. Mosquitoes are not strong fliers, so a good breeze will keep them away.

Ben Darrah
05-23-2020, 10:50 AM
I bought a small one a couple years ago at Lowes because they work on stink bugs and my shop was getting invaded. It was effective and worked fine inside.

Michael Weber
05-23-2020, 10:55 AM
My assumption is that they are in short supply because of the meat shortage lol you have an evil mind:)

glenn bradley
05-23-2020, 11:23 AM
We use them for flying pests. Hang one about 50 feet away on an outbuilding while your grilling and congregating on the back patio and all is well. Obviously if you have horses out back or live where the bugs are big enough to carry off the zapper your results may be lackluster.