PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioned Tools

Bob Johnson2
12-27-2005, 7:22 PM
Has anyone tried reconditioned tools before? Wondering if they are worth saving $50 on. In question is a 2 1/4 hp router.

Anthony Anderson
12-27-2005, 7:26 PM
Bought a refurbished P-C VS Belt Sander from amazon.com ~3years ago and it has worked very well. No problems. Some say that they are better than "new" b/c after they are returned to the manf. they are gone through very carefully before they are sent out for sell as refurbished. HTH, Bill

Sam Chambers
12-27-2005, 7:29 PM
Bob:

I've bought a number of reconditioned tools and haven't had any problems. A few things to watch for:

1. Who does the reconditioning? Factory is often best, though sometimes the distributor does a good job.

2. How long is the warranty? It's often shorter than the new tool. Sometimes the seller adds on to the manufacturer's warranty, and that's a nice incentive.

3. Who services the warranty? The manufacturer? Distributor? Retailer? Either way, make sure you can get it serviced locally, or prepare to ship it for any repairs.

Bob Johnson2
12-27-2005, 7:33 PM
[quote=Sam Chambers]Bob:

I've bought a number of reconditioned tools and haven't had any problems. A few things to watch for:

1. Who does the reconditioning? Factory is often best, though sometimes the distributor does a good job.

I didn't know anyone other then the factory did reconditioning. I'll pay closer attn to the details.

Bruce Haugen
12-27-2005, 8:06 PM
a bunch of years ago I bought a "reconditioned" Delta lunchbox planer from Acme Electric (original owner of Tool Crib). The salesman and I looked it over very carefully and decided the only thing that caused it to be relegated to the "reconditioned" bin was a very small scratch on the top cover. Turns out they can be returned to the factory for cosmetic defects, too. The reconditioned status saved me $150. Seeing as how I had bigger scratches in it by the end of the week, it sure made no difference to me.

Bruce

Ken Garlock
12-27-2005, 8:22 PM
I have bought a reconditioned DeWalt drill form Amazon, and reconditioned Milwaukee rotary hammer from Power Tool Services (http://www.powertoolservices.com/) Both tools have served me well. I would buy another reconditioned power tool without hesitation.

Ernie Nyvall
12-27-2005, 8:49 PM
I have a Milwaukee drill that works fine. Just make sure that where ever you are buying it, it says that it has the full warranty. If not, it hasn't been sent back to the factory for reconditioning. I ran in to this before and didn't buy.

Ernie

Vaughn McMillan
12-27-2005, 8:58 PM
I have a Bosch 1/2" hammer drill and a Makita (or Bosch...I can't remember for sure, and I'm too lazy to go check) hand-held power planer that are both factory refurbs, with full warranties, and I've no problems whatsoever with them. I think my DeWalt biscuit joiner was also a refurb. Granted, these are tools that don't get steady day-to-day use, but based on my experience with them, I'd seriously consider refurbs for things like routers, drills and other small electric tools that were used more often. I think most if not all my refurbs were bought from ToolKing.com.

- Vaughn

Roger Bailey
12-27-2005, 9:01 PM
I have bought several reconditioned tools from amazon and I have had no problems with them so far. All the tools I got came with warranties.

Jim Hager
12-27-2005, 9:19 PM
I have bought several reconed tools over the years. Porter cable belt sander, skil saw, router and others mostly Bosch from the factory just down the road from me here. They have closed the factory and moved it south of the border but they still maintain a recon center here. I'll buy more too if I get a chance.

Jim Becker
12-27-2005, 9:35 PM
Recons are generally good buys, but it's also a good idea to research a little history about the tool. Example...there were a LOT of PC 7529 routers in the recon lots 'cause that machine had signficant design issues relative to the switch...constant failures. But MOST recons are not like that. In fact, many are "open box" returns with no problems to begin with.

John Callahan
12-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Recons are a good way to save money. Quite a few of my tools are recon- DeWalt screw gun, Makita 12" planer, 14.4v cordless and 12" miter saw, Mil. Sawzall, PC belt sander ......... been pleased with them all. Most all looked new other than the planer. The planer had some slight scuff marks on top but it was something I could live with considering the recon's $285 price vs the $400+ of a new one. Do your homework; make sure you've got a factory warranty and do some price shopping; sometimes recon's aren't a good deal. Sometimes promos, sales, rebates etc can make a new tool less expensive than a recon. About the only downside I've noticed is that sometimes recon's aren't shipped in the original factory packaging and there's more risk of shipping damage. Factory service centers are another place to look for recon equipment.

Kent Cori
12-28-2005, 11:00 AM
I've had great success with several reconditioned tools. The latest was a Milwaukee right angle drill I bought through EBay a couple of weeks ago. As the others have said, make sure it is a factory reconditioned item and that it has the original factory warrantly with it.

Wolf Kiessling
12-28-2005, 11:11 AM
I try to get reconditioned tools every chance I get provided they are factory reconditioned. The warranty is exactly the same as a brand new tool. I think the recons are possibly better than straight out of the factory because any defects the tool had should have been fixed by the reconditioning.

Mark Rios
12-28-2005, 11:18 AM
No problems with recons here either. Have a few and they've lasted the same right along with the new tools. And always remember......the more you save, the more tools you get to buy.:D

Russ Massery
12-28-2005, 1:37 PM
Same here, I've bought few myself, No problems with any of them.They didn't even look "used".

David Degan
12-28-2005, 1:42 PM
Does anyone know of places in Canada, preferably in Ontario, where I could find reconditioned/refurbished tools? I'm in the market for a band saw and bench top planer, and any money saved can then go into more tools!!!!!

Bob Johnson2
12-28-2005, 3:06 PM
No problems with recons here either. Have a few and they've lasted the same right along with the new tools. And always remember......the more you save, the more tools you get to buy.:D

Thanks all, as Mark mentions... I ended up getting more tools, not nessesarilly spending less. Got the router set I wanted, dust collector set, templet set, and a Vacumn attachment for one of my old sanders, for the same price as the router new.

Frank Hagan
12-28-2005, 5:19 PM
I have purchased a few ... including my DeWalt 735 planer.

Amazon.com has recon tools frequently; you might be able to find it at the Amazon.ca site as well.

John Gregory
12-29-2005, 1:45 PM
I have bought recon tools from toolking.com without any problems. They have the same as new warranty

Bill Wurzer
12-31-2005, 6:25 PM
Never had a problem with recond. stuff, its always served me well.:)

Gary Curtis
12-31-2005, 7:29 PM
In 1988, we did a major remodling of our house and I bought a 4hp, 220v air compressor from Sears to do the finish carpentry and some painting. I have no affection for that company or its products. But I am coming up on 18 years of use on the darn thing. I've completed the restoration and painting on 6 automobiles with it.

Now, after a sandblasting and powder coating of the tank, it will go into service in my new woodshop. When I was at Sears buying it, a crew of Sears people were decorating the tool and appliance floor of the store. A regional manager was directing their efforts. I asked him why my particular machine had the reconditioned tag on it. He looked it over a bit, and answered confidently that they'd replaced the motor with one not actually manufactured by Sears. A better motor, he added. Who knows?

Gary Curtis

Jim Davenport
12-31-2005, 7:50 PM
I recently bought a reconditioned Dewalt DW788 scroll saw from Toolking. So far it seems to be ok. The only difference I could see between mine, and the brand new one at Toolk Craft is the "R" stamped next to the model # on the motor.

Bill Borchardt
12-31-2005, 10:21 PM
I've purchased the following Delta reconditioned tools:
- 6" jointer ($400 w/mobile base)
- 14" bandsaw (28-206) ($409 w/riser)
- 13" 2 speed planer ($189)
All were in excellent shape and have run perfectly (so far . . . ).
All were purchased through a very big Delta dealer.

Make sawdust, have fun, be safe . . . .

Billbo