PDA

View Full Version : DC Choices - Oneida, Grizzly, Woodsucker, Oh My!

Frank Hagan
12-27-2005, 5:52 PM
Oneida's 2HP Dust Gorilla is still the front runner for me, based on reputation, with the Woodsucker II close behind. At first, it looked like both were more expensive than the others, but here is how my spreadsheet looks now:

The Front Runners:
Oneida 2 HP Dust Gorilla, $745 + $188 Shipping, total $933
- Unique feature: 2 year warranty, established reputation. Made in USA (w/import motor possible).

Woodsucker II 2 HP, $899 + ??? Shipping, total at least $950 w/dust bin
- Unique features: Smallest footprint, 22 x 38", filter dust collects on outside of filter, rather than inside; 2 HP Leeson (USA) motor, made in the USA. Quote request to Larry for shipping.

The Others (but still in the running):
Grizzly G0440 2 HP, $745 + $83 Shipping, total $828
- Unique features: Includes metal dust bin, remote. But it is a new design, and I've heard rumblings that some of the things on Grizzly machines are closer to Harbor Freight quality, and the filter is extremely expensive to replace. Anyone here have this unit? It looks very attractive to me, but the "unknowns" and only a 1 year warranty have scared me off.

JDS 14042 2 HP, $899.94 at Amazon.com, free shipping, total $899.94
- Unique features: comes with stand, under 6' tall. New design, review of 3 HP unit in American Woodworker has very flat blower curve, and it could be a good unit with good performance as pressure loss increases. However, it is a brand new unit, no review of the 2 HP unit available. No warranty info on website. Does anyone here have any exposure to this one?

Clearvue 5 HP, $895 + free shipping, requires another $172 for two filters and shipping from Wynn Environmental, total $1067
- Unique features: 20.8 amp Leeson (USA) motor, but states 20 amp service OK (????), no dust bin, must build filter stack and mounting brackets. I'm concerned about electrical requirements on this one. Seems like way more than I need. Also concerned about hidden costs of building filter stack, etc.

Penn State Tempest 1425S 2.5 HP, $845, shipping unknown (UPS, probably close to Oneida's shipping charges).
- Unique features: 5 year warranty. I like the look of this unit, but it is also brand new, and I haven't seen any reviews of it. Anyone here have experience with one of these?

Mark Rios
12-27-2005, 6:31 PM
You might want to check the TOS but I don't think you can say woodsucker in this forum. :eek:

Brad Noble
12-27-2005, 7:27 PM
<Quote>
The Others (but still in the running):
Grizzly G0440 2 HP, $745 + $83 Shipping, total $828
- Unique features: Includes metal dust bin, remote. But it is a new design, and I've heard rumblings that some of the things on Grizzly machines are closer to Harbor Freight quality, and the filter is extremely expensive to replace. Anyone here have this unit? It looks very attractive to me, but the "unknowns" and only a 1 year warranty have scared me off.
<Quote>

Well, I may be out of the loop here, but, I have the G0440 and the G0555 Bandsaw. I also own a Harbor Freight 6" jointer. Trust me on this one, there is NOTHING on the Grizzly stuff that even resembles the Harbor Freight unit in quality, fit/finish or performance. The Grizzly stuff out scores HF by a country mile in every aspect. Now I have some HF clamps and misc tools and they are OK but certainly not high quality stuff. I am now more certain than ever that when I get ready to upgrade to a cabinet saw the Grizzly 1023SL (or whatever is the front-runner at the time) will be very high on my short list.

Hope this helps.....
Brad

Frank Hagan
12-27-2005, 8:16 PM
You might want to check the TOS but I don't think you can say woodsucker in this forum. :eek:

I actually checked after reading your message ... I see enough moderation here that I wasn't sure if perhaps there was a prohibition about mentioning that particular brand! But no mention specifically, so I hope my post was OK (I also didn't see the prohibition against using the full name of that "popular on-line auction site" so maybe there are rules un-written that I should be aware of). So after all that, I laughed, because I realized that the brand name is a bit risque!

Frank Hagan
12-27-2005, 8:25 PM
<QUOTE>
Well, I may be out of the loop here, but, I have the G0440 and the G0555 Bandsaw. I also own a Harbor Freight 6" jointer. Trust me on this one, there is NOTHING on the Grizzly stuff that even resembles the Harbor Freight unit in quality, fit/finish or performance. The Grizzly stuff out scores HF by a country mile in every aspect. Now I have some HF clamps and misc tools and they are OK but certainly not high quality stuff. I am now more certain than ever that when I get ready to upgrade to a cabinet saw the Grizzly 1023SL (or whatever is the front-runner at the time) will be very high on my short list.

Hope this helps.....
Brad

Thanks, Brad, it does. Its hard to tell if the people talking about a brand actually own it or just like to abuse it! American Woodworker magazine in the current, January 2006 issue has the Grizzly selected along with the Oneida as an "Editor's Pick". So they liked it at least.

Did the shipping charge work out to the advertised cost for you? One of the criticisms I've heard is that the truckers often request more money (some of that may be because of a lift gate required for residential delivery, etc., but Grizzly warns you of that on their site). I have a dock at work, so I can have it delivered there.

How is the magnetic switch and remote mechanism ... someone said they are too lightweight for the unit. Its a nice "value added" feature that the others don't give you.

Did you buy the stand? If not, did the mounting brackets work OK? I've heard the Oneida brackets are a bit flimsy and the unit seems to lean a bit. I like the fact that the Grizzly motor mount is square; it looks like it would make mounting easier.

Any other details you have on how it met, or didn't meet your expectations would be appreciated.

John Bailey
12-27-2005, 8:39 PM
Brad,

We would love a report on how the Griz collects dust.

John

Rob Will
12-27-2005, 8:44 PM
In the Sept. 2003 issue of WOOD Magazine there is a review of 2 hp Dust Collectors. I'm thinking that the Dust Gorilla had not been released at that time. Having said that, the 2 hp Oneida that they did test was much quieter (83dB) than the Woodsucker II (91dB). Personally I also like the looks of the removable dust tray on the Oneida (and others) better than a removable clear bag.

Frank Hagan
12-27-2005, 8:49 PM
The thing that struck me about the recent comparison article in American Woodworker (Jan 2006) is the comparison of the manufacturer's airflow curves and their own independent testing.

For the 2 HP units, both Oneida and Grizzly were found to be pretty close to their published curves. So even though these two seem to be in a "war" right now, at least the published curves seem to be accurate.

At 3" w.c. SP, the Oneida curve says it produces around 1300 CFM; the independent test result was just slightly HIGHER on the curve. For Grizzly, at the same pressure, the curve they publish is at about 1250, and the independent test looks like about 1150 - 1200. Very, very close.

At 6" w.c. SP, the Oneida curve is at about 1050, and the AW test is at 1150 - 1200. Grizzly is at 1000 CFM on both their own curve and the AW test curve.

Frank Hagan
12-27-2005, 8:53 PM
In the Sept. 2003 issue of WOOD Magazine there is a review of 2 hp Dust Collectors. I'm thinking that the Dust Gorilla had not been released at that time. Having said that, the 2 hp Oneida that they did test was much quieter (83dB) than the Woodsucker II (91dB). Personally I also like the looks of the removable dust tray on the Oneida (and others) better than a removable clear bag.

The thing I don't like about all of them is that the filter dust collects on the inside of the filter pleats, making cleaning that much harder. At least the Woodsucker II reverses that, so the cartridge would be much easier to clean manually.

Grizzly has an internal brush that dusts off the inside pleats, which seems like a good idea. With the others, you use compressed air to backflush the filter. Probably both approaches work about the same way.

Brad Noble
12-27-2005, 9:06 PM
OK, the freight charge was exactly as advertised for me. I, too, had it delivered to my workplace and we have a forklift. As for the switch and remote .... don't know yet. I have had it since late September but it is still in the box (the cyclone that is) as I am still trying to finish my workshop building. I have had it out of the box several times and have found nothing that looks weak or poorly made.

I did not buy the stand. It will be in a 'closet' room inside the workshop. I did read the manual several times and used the measured drawings to place a 2x12 between the wall studs in all the proper locations to support the mounting brackets. It seems simple enough.

Details will follow (time permitting) soon. I hope to have it installed within the next week ot ten days.

Brad

Brad Noble
12-27-2005, 9:08 PM
John,

I will, I promise, just as soon as I get it up and running. BTW, I'm using 6" S & D piping for my main with 6" drops to blastgates and then to 4" for the tools. Main should be about 25' long and the drops will average 8' to 10' each.

Brad

Brad Noble
12-27-2005, 9:16 PM
Frank,

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the inside filter thingamacallit from Grizzly either but I must say that after I have looked at it and played with it I am somewhat impressed. The internal brushes work very well and scrub the filter pleats hard. The bag hanging off the bottom of the filter catches all the fine dust (so they say). We'll see.

Brad

Rob Will
12-27-2005, 9:59 PM
We have to blow out the filters on our combines every day or two. In this case the engine is sucking in and the dirt is deposited on the outside of the filter like the Woodsucker. In order to clean the filters we remove them from the combines and use compressed air from the inside blowing outward. Dirt goes everywhere but since we are typically out in a field, this is not a problem.

It still appears to me that the method of either tapping the filter or hitting it with compressed air from the outside is the easiest approach. Let the dust settle for a few minutes and remove the dust pan. Everything stays contained on the inside.

.02 Rob

Matt Meiser
12-27-2005, 10:20 PM
The cyclones at the top of your list all seem to be getting good reviews and you'd probably be happy with any of them. However, Oneida's customer service is top notch, and if I were choosing, I'd choose them based simply on that fact.

Also, I agree that cleaning filters that blow inside-out are a pain. I decided to switch to blowing my exhaust outside and haven't had any issues with my furnace shutting down due to a backdraft or my CO detector going off.

Ed Lang
12-28-2005, 9:36 AM
I went with the Clear-Vue because it is a Bill Pentz design. The filters are from Wynn and the mounting was easy. I used two 12" shelf brackets for the filter mount with 1/4" all thread rod to suspend the filters from the brackets. I should take a picture and post to make things clear. I have a 4" blast gate at the bottom of the filter stack and can connect a hose and run it outside to blow out the dust from inside of the filters. So far I cannot collect any dust in the filters as the cyclone is doing its job. I am cutting MDF and Plywood on a ShopBot, 20" planer, drum sander and two bandsaws. I have removed three loads of dust and chips from my plastic 55 gallon drum I use for a bin. I was given the drum and cut the top out with a jig saw. I cut a plywood top and cut a 6" hole in the top for the flex hose to exit the cyclone and into the top. I have foam gasket material on the plywood top and do not need any clamping device.

I am glad I have this system and the 6" duct.

Good luck with your purchase.

Ed

Jeff Frieburg
12-28-2005, 10:14 AM
First time "poster", long time reader and fan of the Mill.

For what it's worth...

After extensive research, sleepless nights, and pinching pennies, I decided to order Oneida's 2hp Super Gorilla. To me, this unit represents a nice balance between performance and value. I really don't have the time to do a "Pentz-worthy" build/kit and I didn't want to go the "cheap route" either. Heather at Oneida lived up to her reputaion as a kind and knowledgable salesperson and solidifed my opinion of Onieda and my decision - so far.

I have a 20' x 20' (dedicated space in the basement) hobbyist shop and I'm thinking this cyclone should work out great as an answer to our house's overall dust issues that tend to drive my wife and I crazy! I'll be able to create a lot more in the shop if I don't have to "dust" the rest of the house all the time.

I have several pieces of Grizzly equipment and am very satisfied with each of them. My decision on the Oneida unit is not intended to slight Grizzly's cyclone, but I do like the idea that Oneida's main business is dust collection and I always seem learn the lesson the hard way that it is better in the long run to "go with the professionals" in any given area.

Delivery is not gonna be for several weeks and I'll try to post my experiences during the install at that time. If I ever get tech savvy I will include pics as well.

Andy Fox
12-28-2005, 10:39 AM
After extensive research, sleepless nights, and pinching pennies, I decided to order Oneida's 2hp Super Gorilla. To me, this unit represents a nice balance between performance and value. I really don't have the time to do a "Pentz-worthy" build/kit and I didn't want to go the "cheap route" either.

Jeff,

Welcome to the Creek!

I am considering a cyclone system for my basement (formerly in the garage) shop, and will likely purchase a Woodsucker or Super Gorilla. Why did you choose the Super Gorilla over the Woodsucker II?

Andy

tod evans
12-28-2005, 10:45 AM
frank, anything that gets bill pentz`s stamp is worth a few extra bucks! ..02 tod

John Bailey
12-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Jeff,

Welcome to the "Creek." There's a good contingent from the cheeshead state. You'll be in good company. Do take some pictures and post a review when you get your system. I, for one, am considering a cyclone and would like to know what your experience will be.

John

Jeff Frieburg
12-28-2005, 1:27 PM
Andy:

The Woodsucker was in my top three.

As naive and superficial as it sounds, the marketing, materials, staff, and "press" was what swayed me. Also, the American Woodworker article was the "nudge" I was waiting for I guess.

I do not mean to disparage the Woodsucker and I'm sure it would've met my needs admirably. They have a nice product and owners of them speak highly of their abilities.

The Grizzly also has a lot going for it and I'm a believer in Grizzly products from previous experience. Good value ($/quality)!

No matter which one I had chosen, the overall performance will likely come down to attention to detail with the ducting and dust pick-ups.

It was a hard decision and I'm sure I would have been happy with any of them. I know my house, my lungs, and my wife will be happier too.

Good luck and your decision and keep us informed on what you went with and why.

J.

Frank Hagan
12-28-2005, 2:18 PM
Frank,

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about the inside filter thingamacallit from Grizzly either but I must say that after I have looked at it and played with it I am somewhat impressed. The internal brushes work very well and scrub the filter pleats hard. The bag hanging off the bottom of the filter catches all the fine dust (so they say). We'll see.

Brad

My concern was with getting all the dirt out of the pleats, but the comments here make sense too ... I know what a messy job cleaning my shop vac filter is, and its about 1/10th the size of the DC filters at least. I could also convert that portion of the assembly to something else later.

Frank Hagan
12-28-2005, 2:24 PM
We have to blow out the filters on our combines every day or two. In this case the engine is sucking in and the dirt is deposited on the outside of the filter like the Woodsucker. In order to clean the filters we remove them from the combines and use compressed air from the inside blowing outward. Dirt goes everywhere but since we are typically out in a field, this is not a problem.

It still appears to me that the method of either tapping the filter or hitting it with compressed air from the outside is the easiest approach. Let the dust settle for a few minutes and remove the dust pan. Everything stays contained on the inside.

.02 Rob

Good point ... you have changed my mind on this issue. My experience with cartridge filters is in water filtration, but your comment reminded me of when I clean my shop vac filter ... what a mess! I stick it in a plastic bag and then tap it on the ground, but then spend a bit of time either blowing it with compressed air or brushing with a chip brush to get the dirt out of the pleats. Dust is everywhere, so I always do that outside.

Frank Hagan
12-28-2005, 2:33 PM
The cyclones at the top of your list all seem to be getting good reviews and you'd probably be happy with any of them. However, Oneida's customer service is top notch, and if I were choosing, I'd choose them based simply on that fact.

Also, I agree that cleaning filters that blow inside-out are a pain. I decided to switch to blowing my exhaust outside and haven't had any issues with my furnace shutting down due to a backdraft or my CO detector going off.

I was thinking about doing that ... if the air stream is as "clean" as they say, I could blow the results of the cyclone through the wall. I'm in a temperate climate and don't have to heat my shop, so I have plenty of make up air to compensate for blowing it outside. I could even get the ClearVue without filters and do that.

Frank Hagan
12-28-2005, 2:40 PM
I went with the Clear-Vue because it is a Bill Pentz design. The filters are from Wynn and the mounting was easy. I used two 12" shelf brackets for the filter mount with 1/4" all thread rod to suspend the filters from the brackets. I should take a picture and post to make things clear. I have a 4" blast gate at the bottom of the filter stack and can connect a hose and run it outside to blow out the dust from inside of the filters. So far I cannot collect any dust in the filters as the cyclone is doing its job. I am cutting MDF and Plywood on a ShopBot, 20" planer, drum sander and two bandsaws. I have removed three loads of dust and chips from my plastic 55 gallon drum I use for a bin. I was given the drum and cut the top out with a jig saw. I cut a plywood top and cut a 6" hole in the top for the flex hose to exit the cyclone and into the top. I have foam gasket material on the plywood top and do not need any clamping device.

I am glad I have this system and the 6" duct.

Good luck with your purchase.

Ed

Ed, what size electrical service did you use with the ClearVue 5HP motor? I like the fact that the motor is a US made Leeson motor, and also that Bill Pentz gets a commission on the sale of each one. But I noted Ed was saying on his forums that you could use a 20 amp breaker, but ... its a 20.8 max amp motor. I think I would need a 25 amp breaker (don't think you can find those, so it would be a 30 amp circuit).

If I go with a ClearVue, I may delay buying the filters and just exhaust it outside. I was also planning on using 6" S&D pipe if my contacts in the HVAC industry can't get me a great price on metal pipe, or making my own square ducting out of melamine or MDF. If I bought a ClearVue, I would probably go with the round pipe to take advantage of the 6 blast gates Ed includes.

Frank Chaffee
12-28-2005, 4:42 PM
Frank and all,
The Woodsucker II can be easily set up in an exterior cabinet and the filtered (and shop heated or cooled air) returned to the shop. This can save valuable shop space and alleviate the stress of noise.

Frank Chaffee

Mike Monroe
12-29-2005, 12:13 PM
I have a G0440 installed and running. I can affirm that the G0440 does indeed suck very well. So far all I've run duct for is a floor sweep and a Unisaw. The main run is 7", coming straight out the intake and running along a wall supported by a couple cheap shelf supports. The floor sweep is 6". Currently I only have a 5" base dust chute connected to the Unisaw, a 3" overarm blade guard is planned. When ripping or crosscutting on the Unisaw very little (if any) fine dust escapes the G0440 suck via the base chute. The Unisaw is fairly close to the cyclone, I haven't figured out the S.P., CFM, differential statistics, etc... for the ducting, but the performance is more than adequate.

As for hanging the contraption on the wall vs. buying a stand, I went with building a stand out of scrap lumber I had on hand. It took a little thinking but it wasn't all that difficult to build. Assembly of the unit occurred on the floor. I was able to stand everything up with the help of my wife.

The remote control works fine, I've accidentally dropped it a couple times; the battery cover pops off and the batteries fly out, but after reassembly it works.

One thing I noticed is that the G0440 generates heat. My shop is currently normally about 62 degrees F this time of year. After running the cyclone off and on over a period 6 hours the temperature had warmed up to about 68. This is a good thing during the cooler months, but come summer it may be a bad thing.

Jimmy Tallent
12-30-2005, 10:41 PM
I have the 3 h.p cyclone,w/ 14 inch impeller,its about a year old works great and still going.

Ed Lang
12-30-2005, 11:23 PM
Frank,

I run the Clear Vue on a 30 Amp breaker. I run all of my 220V ckt's on 30 Amp breakers and run 10ga wire. I also use L6-30 twist lock recpt and plugs for my equipment. I installed a L6-30 at the contactor for the Clear Vue so I would have a disconnect there. I also run a X10 module for remote control to both my Clear Vue and the little Delta unit mounted under a shed roof outside for the vent on the laser engraver. I like having the X10 remotes at each machine or within arms length so I can turn on either unit.

My shop is about 200' from my house and it is running on a sub panel from the house with a 100 Amp breaker in the house.

I bought 10' joints of 6" S&D, 45* and Wyes for my installation. I use two 45* with a short nipple between in place of any 90*. I also run 6" flex when I need to and keep it short as possible. To a few machines I ran 4" flex so I put a 6" to 4" metal HVAC reducer in the pipe to make connections easy. I did use small self drilling screws to keep everything together nice and tight.

The last thing I did was to install eye screws into the bottom cord of my trusses and suspend the 6" duct with rope. This keeps my system isolated from the shop walls since my shop is stick built and I thought a solid mounting would transfer vibration to the walls and cause the system to be loud. I am very happy with my installation. Oh, I did not put a blast gate in the ShopBot since it has 4" duct running to it. I found that I needed to have two 4" lines open to get enough air flow to make things work great so this way I always have a 4" line open. I can run another 6" blast gate open and still have PLENTY of air flow to pickup my dust and chips.

With this system I get everyting from the 20" planer and NOTHING is left on the board, floor or machine.

Take care.

Chris Gregory
12-31-2005, 10:19 AM
It was quite a while ago so I'm not sure where I saw it, I think it was in an issue of Popular Mechanics or perhaps FWW it was a design using current transformers to sense when a tool was turned on which then activated the DC does anybody have any info they would care to share on this? As I recollect it wasn't too difficult and if you running a of a sub panel you would only need two CT's for single phase or three for three phase.

Travis Porter
12-31-2005, 8:04 PM
I just received my Oneida 3 HP dust gorrilla. I picked it up at the depot instead of paying for lift gate service. I was AMAZED at the number of boxes, but the only one that was heavy was the box the motor was in. It is not a big deal to pick it up at a depot if you have a vehicle you can get it in (pick up, mini-van, etc). Oneida is and has been great to deal with. The only issue I had is the lead time in ordering it. It took 4 weeks from the day I ordered it for them to ship it. I ordered it the day before Thanksgiving and it was ready to pick up on 12/28.

Frank Hagan
12-31-2005, 9:22 PM
Frank,

I run the Clear Vue on a 30 Amp breaker. I run all of my 220V ckt's on 30 Amp breakers and run 10ga wire. I also use L6-30 twist lock recpt and plugs for my equipment. I installed a L6-30 at the contactor for the Clear Vue so I would have a disconnect there. I also run a X10 module for remote control to both my Clear Vue and the little Delta unit mounted under a shed roof outside for the vent on the laser engraver. I like having the X10 remotes at each machine or within arms length so I can turn on either unit.

My shop is about 200' from my house and it is running on a sub panel from the house with a 100 Amp breaker in the house.

I bought 10' joints of 6" S&D, 45* and Wyes for my installation. I use two 45* with a short nipple between in place of any 90*. I also run 6" flex when I need to and keep it short as possible. To a few machines I ran 4" flex so I put a 6" to 4" metal HVAC reducer in the pipe to make connections easy. I did use small self drilling screws to keep everything together nice and tight.

The last thing I did was to install eye screws into the bottom cord of my trusses and suspend the 6" duct with rope. This keeps my system isolated from the shop walls since my shop is stick built and I thought a solid mounting would transfer vibration to the walls and cause the system to be loud. I am very happy with my installation. Oh, I did not put a blast gate in the ShopBot since it has 4" duct running to it. I found that I needed to have two 4" lines open to get enough air flow to make things work great so this way I always have a 4" line open. I can run another 6" blast gate open and still have PLENTY of air flow to pickup my dust and chips.

With this system I get everyting from the 20" planer and NOTHING is left on the board, floor or machine.

Take care.

Thanks, Ed! I thought that a 30 amp breaker would be appropriate; there might be 25 amp breakers out there, but I haven't seen them. Your other information on the ducting is good too ... if I go with S&D ducting I'll use 2 45's instead of the 90s ... they are a pretty sharp bend. I have some other options for ducting with my contacts in the HVAC industry, so I might do something fairly unusual for a home shop. Hanging the pipes makes a lot of sense too ... I've already decided to isolate everything for noise/vibration reduction like one of the posters here has done.

Frank Hagan
12-31-2005, 9:25 PM
It was quite a while ago so I'm not sure where I saw it, I think it was in an issue of Popular Mechanics or perhaps FWW it was a design using current transformers to sense when a tool was turned on which then activated the DC does anybody have any info they would care to share on this? As I recollect it wasn't too difficult and if you running a of a sub panel you would only need two CT's for single phase or three for three phase.

I did see that, but I'm not sure its appropriate for a large DC. With the 2HP and above motors, you shouldn't start and stop them frequently. Usually you line up your cutting, turn on the DC and leave it running until you're done. In any case, either Grizzly or Oneida recommends that you nto start and stop the DC motor more than 3 or 4 times per hour, due to possible overheating of the motor.

Frank Hagan
12-31-2005, 9:29 PM
I just received my Oneida 3 HP dust gorrilla. I picked it up at the depot instead of paying for lift gate service. I was AMAZED at the number of boxes, but the only one that was heavy was the box the motor was in. It is not a big deal to pick it up at a depot if you have a vehicle you can get it in (pick up, mini-van, etc). Oneida is and has been great to deal with. The only issue I had is the lead time in ordering it. It took 4 weeks from the day I ordered it for them to ship it. I ordered it the day before Thanksgiving and it was ready to pick up on 12/28.

They told me they ship via UPS, and someone else told me it was five or six boxes. I'll have them ship it to my warehouse; it might be cheaper to go common carrier. I'll have to check with them once I make a decision. I'm really leaning more and more towards Oneida's 2 HP Dust Gorilla now. My wife has chimed in, and prefers either the Grizzly or the Oneida ... and who am I to argue? "Either / Or" is not "no", is it? ;-)

Herbert Wallace
11-14-2008, 9:49 PM
My wife is tired of the dust and shavings in my shop, and is buying me a system for Christmas. Will the cheaper bag collector do the job, or should I bite the bullet and get the cyclone? What are the pros and consof each.
Thanks

glenn bradley
11-14-2008, 9:59 PM
My wife is tired of the dust and shavings in my shop, and is buying me a system for Christmas. Will the cheaper bag collector do the job, or should I bite the bullet and get the cyclone? What are the pros and consof each.
Thanks

That is the bag unit I was considering building a shed for outside. It'll catch the shavings but the finer dust that gets on everything and in your lungs will escape. I finally decided to bite the bullet on the G0440 (stealth gloat). I tried to argue myself into the 3HP bag unit outside and piped through the wall but I lost.

The larger bag unit had more power and CFM than the G0440 but still had all the things I am trying to get away from with my current bag unit; and more of it. It is a tough call but I left 50 behind awhile ago and want to be doing this for many years. Averaged out over the next decade, its just not that much $$ for your health. My .02.

Stephen Zello
11-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Frank,
Where did you get the $745 price for the Oneida 2HP Dust Gorillia when I go to there site I see $1380! Is this a Special price?
SteveZ

Brian Effinger
11-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Frank,
Where did you get the $745 price for the Oneida 2HP Dust Gorillia when I go to there site I see $1380! Is this a Special price?
SteveZ
Take a look at the dates at the top of each post. This is an old thread from 2005, so $745 was probably the regular price back then.
This is the one thing I've had to train myself to do - take a look at the dates. You sometimes see these old ones popping back up.

Stephen Zello
11-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Opps - Thanks Brian!

David Less
11-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Here's my $.02. Buy the biggest you can afford. Therefore get the clearview, 15" fan and 5 H.P. motor. I have a very small shop (18 x 13) and I'm glad I went with the Clearview. There is no substitue for alot of CFM especialy when it comes to picking up fine dust.

Remember, in woodworking tools you get what you pay for.

David

Joe Jensen
11-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Here's my $.02. Buy the biggest you can afford. Therefore get the clearview, 15" fan and 5 H.P. motor. I have a very small shop (18 x 13) and I'm glad I went with the Clearview. There is no substitue for alot of CFM especialy when it comes to picking up fine dust.

Remember, in woodworking tools you get what you pay for.

David

David, what port sizes do you have on your tools? I am stuck with 4" ports on many of my tools with no obvious way to enlarge them (sawstop and shaper being the worst).

Bobby Stanley
12-22-2008, 5:42 AM
I purchased the Grizzly 3HP dust collector. I used one piece of 8" pvc (20feet) and then continued the main branches underground in 6" pvc. Once above ground, I used 6" or reduced directly to 4" at the machine. I used the Peachtree Woodworking splice 6"x4"x4" to allow a dual four inch pick up at some tools like my bandsaw, miter saw, and table saw. I used the four inch port underneath and an additional one on the side of the machine.

I love my 3HP DC. It works as advertised and the remote works great. It is very efficient meaning it drops most all of the debris in the 55 gallon barrel. I do not regret making the purchase ever. I think I paid $1200. It went together in about a day.:)