PDA

View Full Version : vaccum guage stopped working

Keith Bays
05-20-2020, 6:32 AM
Anyone have any hints as to why, also any suggestions for a fix? Thanks

roger wiegand
05-20-2020, 8:14 AM
"Classified ads" probably isn't the right forum for this question.

The gauges ultimately fail when they spring a leak in the diaphragm, assuming that style of gauge, but there are other points of failure as well. If it's an expensive gauge the manufacturer will probably offer a rebuilding service (you can get rebuild kits for Magnahelics for example but most home shops don't have the means for calibration if that's important). If it's an inexpensive gauge (less than $100) it's probably more cost effective to just replace it.

Prevention involves mainly protecting it from corrosive chemicals and dirt by use of appropriate filters.

Bill Dufour
05-20-2020, 8:59 AM
Suck and blow into the port with your mouth. Does the needle move at all? I assume this is a a mechanical gauge?. Disconnect any plumbing so you are directly into the gauge. Possible a filter or orifice is plugged. Maybe spiders. Worst you can do is to make it not work anymore. Many gauges have a small orifice, often a seperate piece added into the input. These can be plugged very easy. A MIG cleaning wire or needle may be too big. Drill it out if need be.
Was it liquid filled and dried up?
Bill D

John K Jordan
05-20-2020, 9:30 AM
Anyone have any hints as to why, also any suggestions for a fix? Thanks

Keith,

I haven't had a vacuum gauge quit so I haven't taken one apart, but some months ago the primary pressure gauge on my air compressor manifold developed a leak. I could actually hear it hiss. I disassembled, found the leak in a copper tube, and sealed it with solder. It's worked since. Might take it apart and see if there is something obvious.

JKJ

Keith Bays
05-20-2020, 5:28 PM
thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions

Bill Dufour
05-20-2020, 9:19 PM
Take it apart and dunk it in clean water with a hose attached. Blow gently into the hose and look for bubbles.
Bill D