PDA

View Full Version : Who has a turning buddy that lives close by?

Dueane Hicks
05-19-2020, 12:58 PM
I have only been to a few local (Olympia Wa) AAW meetings, and joined the chapter. I have only been to one person's house to help them with a reeves drive problem. With this crazy virus and the fact that I live in a area with a population of hermits; I have no turning buddies to speak of.....so I prowl the forums looking around to keep me motivated not to quit. Thanks for all the posts!

David Dockstader
05-19-2020, 3:42 PM
Sad to say, but we've all become a population of hermits. At least you have beautiful scenery to look at.

John K Jordan
05-19-2020, 4:20 PM
Sad to say, but we've all become a population of hermits. At least you have beautiful scenery to look at.

Yes, hermits. I have visited turning buddies and have had some come here to pick up wood or cut up logs on the sawmill. But we wore masks and stayed a safe distance apart. I have several people waiting for shop visits, a bandsaw class, and turning lessons but that's going to have to wait - hard to do any of those right without getting close.

Hey, Dueane, how about some Facetime-ing with a turning buddy? They could live across the country! In fact, that gives me an idea of some interaction with a local guy who has been waiting to come and learn how to solve a problem that's been frustrating him.

JKJ

Earl McLain
05-19-2020, 7:13 PM
That's got merit John. There's a few folks on the Penturner's forum that have been doing some demo's and coffee chats lately--it's really pretty cool. I'm not at a level to host, but i have been doing 4-10 virtual meetings/week for work. My intent is to work for a few more years, but after the last 3 months...most of that may be from home.
earl

John K Jordan
05-19-2020, 9:36 PM
That's got merit John. There's a few folks on the Penturner's forum that have been doing some demo's and coffee chats lately--it's really pretty cool. I'm not at a level to host, but i have been doing 4-10 virtual meetings/week for work. My intent is to work for a few more years, but after the last 3 months...most of that may be from home.
earl

The more I think of it, the more I'd like to try it. Not a group meeting, which Zoom does well (our turning club meeting this evening meeting had 30+ members, show and tell, and a video demo), but one-on-one instruction. I've done a lot of club demos but I REALLY like the one-on-one!

I don't know much about Facetime except we use it to visit with grandsons that we can't see, even though they live just 30 minutes away.

JKJ

Peter Blair
05-20-2020, 9:28 AM
David, Become? Man I already was. Sure I like to get out and about occasionally but my shop is my happy place and self isolation has really had a minimal effect on me . . .

Peter Blair
05-20-2020, 9:30 AM
John, this is a great idea and I see no reason that it wouldn't work well especially if there was that one little detail someone wanted explained.

Dueane Hicks
05-31-2020, 1:07 PM
The more I think of it, the more I'd like to try it. Not a group meeting, which Zoom does well (our turning club meeting this evening meeting had 30+ members, show and tell, and a video demo), but one-on-one instruction. I've done a lot of club demos but I REALLY like the one-on-one!

I don't know much about Facetime except we use it to visit with grandsons that we can't see, even though they live just 30 minutes away.

JKJ

Where do you reside?

John K Jordan
06-01-2020, 7:10 PM
Where do you reside?

I live is East TN, out in the countryside, a bit north of Knoxville.

I worked with a turner a little yesterday, with N95 masks. Fortunately, I have some and other respirators.

JKJ