PDA

View Full Version : CA finish

Keith Christopher
12-27-2005, 5:34 PM
I was reading up on using CA as a finish and I tried it, it seemed to work ok, however I noticed that I need more eye protection, I felt immediatly that I had some in my eye (I didn't because my eye didn't glue shut, I'm sure it was the fumes (yes I had respiration on) but I didn't expect that. Suggestions ? Ideas if I did something wrong ?

Gary Max
12-27-2005, 5:50 PM
I have a small fan sitting at the end of the lathe---if I am going to use a bunch of CA I turn it on high----it blows all the fumes away from me.

Richard Gillespie
12-27-2005, 6:07 PM
Having never used CA before as a finish, how toxic or obnoxious are the fumes? I've been thinking of using it to finish future pens. Over the years I've done enough damage to my lungs, they don't need any further dings.

John Hart
12-27-2005, 6:49 PM
Having never used CA before as a finish, how toxic or obnoxious are the fumes? I've been thinking of using it to finish future pens. Over the years I've done enough damage to my lungs, they don't need any further dings.

It feels very caustic on an inhale. You know immediately that it is something you don't want. Sorta like inhaling flame. It works as a finish and a sealer, repair..etc, but one should exercise caution.

Ernie Nyvall
12-27-2005, 7:30 PM
I have a small fan sitting at the end of the lathe---if I am going to use a bunch of CA I turn it on high----it blows all the fumes away from me.

Same here.

Ernie

David Mueller
12-27-2005, 7:51 PM

Mostly obnoxious :eek: but if sensitive or unsure I'd recommend a fume respirator. I have a shop vac hose with a large funnel just behind the pen which is on during sanding and finishing small spindles or pens, takes the dust and fumes away from the area.

Keith Christopher
12-28-2005, 3:08 PM
Which CA do you use ? Medium or thin ?

Jim Becker
12-28-2005, 4:20 PM
Well...think about this...they use the fumes to fix fingerprints...it can be nasty and good ventilation is a must. It's not just your lungs...your eyes are also of concern.

Gary DeWitt
12-29-2005, 12:31 AM
Being in the entertainment industry, I watch pretty carefully and tend to critique the shows rather harshly. CSI ***, all flavors, treats CA glue fumes with unconscionable casual handling. In an OSHA approved workplace, which I can assure you a police department is, ALL those fumes would be vented outside. I feel this may lead people to be careless with it.
CA fumes are somewhat toxic, no doubt about it. Proper precautions should be taken.
In the interests of absolute accuracy, here is a link to one companies' Material Safety Data Sheet for CA glue:
http://www.surlok.com/msds/1409.htm
While the stuff isn't toxic in the sense that say, cyanide is, it can still be quite harmful.
Hope this helps.

Ed Scolforo
12-29-2005, 6:13 AM
There's low odor/ low bloom CA out there which isn't nearly as caustic as the regular kind. I'm not saying its safe to use, just less irritating. It costs a bit more but, in my opinion, is worth it. Ed

John Hart
12-29-2005, 6:35 AM
There's low odor/ low bloom CA out there which isn't nearly as caustic as the regular kind. I'm not saying its safe to use, just less irritating. It costs a bit more but, in my opinion, is worth it. Ed

Yep..Ed's right...It's made by Loctite. I used it a couple of weeks ago doing a friction finish on some pens. There was no odor whatsoever. I thought maybe my nose was stuffed up, but then I tried one of my other brands and got fumed out. Anyway...the loctite stuff is available at the Borgs.