PDA

View Full Version : Driver bit organizer (portable)

andrew whicker
05-18-2020, 1:34 PM
Seemed like this would be a simple thing.. just need an empty case with empty slots, etc to store bits. Bosch almost does this. They sell an empty case, but they don't sell empty slots to hold your bits. As with most of you, I have a million billion bits already and don't need to buy more.

Just looking for a portable case...

Has anyone found something? Seems to be a non profitable thing to make because there's nothing out there that I can see.

cheers,

David Bassett
05-18-2020, 2:13 PM
You've gotten exactly as far as I have. I'll be watching this thread....

Steve Eure
05-18-2020, 2:28 PM
i had one from Dewlt a few years back and for the life of me can't locate it. It looked just like their yellow drill bit cases and worked very well. They also had a promotional tote with a bit holder and had a place for several bits that would fit in your pocket. It was a pain to open, so I trashed it.
Here's one I found on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEAR-TOP-DEWALT-EMPTY-CASE-FOR-STORAGE-HEAVY-DUTY-HOLDS-24-BITS/184247691853?hash=item2ae604aa4d:g:jvkAAOSwCLxdHPV 3
The one I had was similar but had a solid yellow case and you could store bits on both sides.

David Bassett
05-18-2020, 2:39 PM
I'd never seen the empty DeWalt cases. Thanks.

OTOH- if you can often find them full of bits for little more than that in the Home Depot specials. (Though those have been Milwaukee & Ryobi sets on my visits just prior to the "quarantine".)

For small pocket sized assortments Wiha & Wera have some interesting holders, though again I've only seen them with bits. E.g. Lie-Nielsen uses a Wera one with their Multi-Tip Screwdriver:

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products/multi-tip-screwdriver-ttb?path=toms-toolbox&node=4225

David Bassett
05-18-2020, 5:37 PM
Are you talking about a drill bit index? ...

I'm not. I assumed I was talking about the same thing as OP, but he'll have to answer himself.

I'm looking for ways to organize and carry 1/4" Hex drive driver bits.

(Drill bits I've got covered, mostly in Huot Indexes which are very nice.)

andrew whicker
05-18-2020, 5:52 PM
I'm with David.

John Gornall
05-18-2020, 6:49 PM
Lee Valley - "hex bit organizer" (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/screwdrivers/bits/75825-1-4-inch-hex-bit-organizer)

andrew whicker
05-18-2020, 7:19 PM
Yeah, I want to travel with it

Tom M King
05-18-2020, 8:02 PM
The ones in the truck have been in a 3M 33+ electrical tape case (that a roll of the electrical tape comes in) for at least a decade. That's the longest lasting, and easiest to use driver bit organizer we've ever used. The color coded GRK bits help a lot. I like that one so much that I have the same thing repeated in several other places. The lid goes on, and off easily, but doesn't come off.

Darcy Warner
05-18-2020, 8:07 PM
All mine go in a mini systainer

Adam Herman
05-18-2020, 8:07 PM
i use one of these.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-7-in-6-Compartment-Small-Parts-Organizer-83039N13/307699146

keep all the torx in one bin, ph2 in a bin, flats in a bin, etc. I like it better than one with a lot of wasted space for the little holders, that they either fall out of or they are impossible to put into or take out of.
depot usually has a nice selection in the store of small bins and such. hard to find online.

David Buchhauser
05-19-2020, 1:09 AM
This one looks interesting, and the price is right!
David

https://www.amazon.com/Olsa-Tools-Organizer-Magnetic-Premium/dp/B00Z2R1OJM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=H56KYCWUV33S&dchild=1&keywords=hex+bit+organizer&qid=1589864499&s=automotive&sprefix=hex+bit+or%2Cautomotive%2C209&sr=1-1

(https://www.amazon.com/Olsa-Tools-Organizer-Magnetic-Premium/dp/B00Z2R1OJM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=H56KYCWUV33S&dchild=1&keywords=hex+bit+organizer&qid=1589864499&s=automotive&sprefix=hex+bit+or%2Cautomotive%2C209&sr=1-1)

Joe Hendershott
05-19-2020, 7:37 AM
This has worked very well for me.

David Buchhauser
05-19-2020, 7:46 AM
Nice storage tray Joe! Where did you get it?
David

Joe Hendershott
05-19-2020, 8:31 AM
Nice storage tray Joe! Where did you get it?
David
I got it at Amazon, it is:

Festool 203815 Centrotec Bit Set in Mini Systainer

Jim Becker
05-19-2020, 8:46 AM
I got it at Amazon, it is:

Festool 203815 Centrotec Bit Set in Mini Systainer

Note that the bits in this set are for the Festool Centrotec system and require an adapter to work with a non-Festool drill/driver. That said, the set is excellent and comprehensive.

John K Jordan
05-19-2020, 8:49 AM
I very much dislike organizers with little holes or slots or assigned spaces for everything. Their idea of everything never fits mine. No space to add something new.

For bits I use the same type of handled case with adjustable dividers. I have compartments for phillips, torx, etc, and some wider compartments for the associated holders and extensions. Loose and blocks of specialty bits go into a larger compartment. These are the same cases I use for sheet metal screws, lag screws, bolts, etc. I didn't take a photo of the one full of bits but it's the same as these. They are strong, portable, plenty of room, stack nicely, and cost about $11 in the tool section of Walmart. II use about a dozen of these, keep them in the shop, and carry them around the farm or too the house as needed.

433360 433361

JKJ

Seemed like this would be a simple thing.. just need an empty case with empty slots, etc to store bits. Bosch almost does this. They sell an empty case, but they don't sell empty slots to hold your bits. As with most of you, I have a million billion bits already and don't need to buy more.

Just looking for a portable case...

Has anyone found something? Seems to be a non profitable thing to make because there's nothing out there that I can see.

cheers,

Joe Hendershott
05-19-2020, 8:53 AM
Note that the bits in this set are for the Festool Centrotec system and require an adapter to work with a non-Festool drill/driver. That said, the set is excellent and comprehensive.

Ha, I forgot there are actually people still using non-Festool drills :D.

John K Jordan
05-19-2020, 9:04 AM
Ha, I forgot there are actually people still using non-Festool drills :D.

A builder/remodeler friend in Italy says "Festool, only Festool". He has three rows of shelving units fuil of Festools, some are specialty tools I've never heard of or seen advertised, maybe not available here? He said he mostly buys them on sale which apparently happens in Italy. This is half of one isle. All are 220v, of course.

He likes the quality and the ease of transporting to a job.

Me, I have one Festool plunge router I mortgaged the house to buy.

JKJ

andrew whicker
05-19-2020, 10:27 AM

Haha. Sigh.

andrew whicker
05-19-2020, 10:29 AM
i use one of these.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-7-in-6-Compartment-Small-Parts-Organizer-83039N13/307699146

keep all the torx in one bin, ph2 in a bin, flats in a bin, etc. I like it better than one with a lot of wasted space for the little holders, that they either fall out of or they are impossible to put into or take out of.
depot usually has a nice selection in the store of small bins and such. hard to find online.

This might be the one.

Thanks.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-19-2020, 11:39 AM
This might be the one.

Thanks.

I was wondering what you were looking for. Good idea. Along these lines, visit your local fishing store. Plano makes these tackle boxes, and some of the nicer ones are waterproof, which may be good if you get rained on at the jobsite. The nice ones are not cheap though. This beats all of those little boxes rattling around in the bottom of my rolling tool chest. That I can never find until I unload all the junk.

Prashun Patel
05-19-2020, 11:49 AM
I bought one of these:

Makita A-98348 50-Piece ImpactX Driver Bit Set

For $20 you get the bits and the case. With any case, the trick is trying to get the bits to hold securely enough not to roll around, but loose enough to be able to release quickly.

These bits (I have 2 sets) tend to be on the 'roll around' side. But all in all it's pretty good.

I especially like the spine, which holds longer bits or an extension.

johnny means
05-21-2020, 5:45 AM
I also use those tackle box type organizers. Just enough compartments to store by length and type without over engineering things. Trying to set up, what I call, Display Cases is just impractical. I even removed the lids and use them as drawer organizers in the shop.

Bill Dufour
05-21-2020, 6:12 PM
I have seen plastic boxes and inserts to hold ammunition with lots of little holes and a nice lid. Maybe something there to start with. If the holes are too deep maybe fill each one with a small block of wood or a blob of caulk. If you know ammunition calipers that would fit please let us know.
Bill D

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-50-Round-Pistol-Ammo-Box/dp/B07DJ584GG

Mike Henderson
05-21-2020, 11:08 PM
I bought one of these:

Makita A-98348 50-Piece ImpactX Driver Bit Set

For $20 you get the bits and the case. With any case, the trick is trying to get the bits to hold securely enough not to roll around, but loose enough to be able to release quickly.

These bits (I have 2 sets) tend to be on the 'roll around' side. But all in all it's pretty good.

I especially like the spine, which holds longer bits or an extension.

I did something similar. I bought a set of bits and they came with a case. I don't remember who made it, it was some off brand. But I don't use them on a regular basis - and mostly just the phillips and some of the square drives.

Mike

Bill Dufour
05-22-2020, 12:33 AM
With all the science in the news I see a lot of plastic racks that hold test tubes or centrifuge tubes that might be workable.
Bill D.

https://www.amazon.com/KINNOSE-96-Well-Polypropylene-Centrifuge-Microcentrifuge/dp/B07VJ9BVL3?ref_=s9_apbd_obs_hd_bw_bQciAt&pf_rd_r=2ZW3B6JA5K1CB02HHGW0&pf_rd_p=ef2f6f4c-b284-52cc-88ac-49c6b2b53315&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=393411011

Ben Rivel
05-22-2020, 1:30 PM
How many bits are you guys looking to carry/store/organize? Ive seen a few smaller options out there, but Im curious what every thinks would be a good amount to be able to keep in such a container. 10? 30? 50?

Kyle Iwamoto
05-22-2020, 1:47 PM
How many bits are you guys looking to carry/store/organize? Ive seen a few smaller options out there, but Im curious what every thinks would be a good amount to be able to keep in such a container. 10? 30? 50?

I have not yet gone out and bought one, but I was thinking 5 or 6 compartment Plano box. P#2/T25/flat magnetic bits and P#2 and T25 impact driver bits. If you get a 6 compartment maybe for the mag driver? That's what I'm thinking..... Thoughts?
Stuck at home with all of these CV19 stay at home rules.... Finally stores are opening.
Oh, a square drive...... Almost forgot about that. Don't use that one too much. I like the P#2 and T25.

Ben Rivel
05-22-2020, 2:04 PM
I have not yet gone out and bought one, but I was thinking 5 or 6 compartment Plano box. P#2/T25/flat magnetic bits and P#2 and T25 impact driver bits. If you get a 6 compartment maybe for the mag driver? That's what I'm thinking..... Thoughts?
Stuck at home with all of these CV19 stay at home rules.... Finally stores are opening.
Oh, a square drive...... Almost forgot about that. Don't use that one too much. I like the P#2 and T25.
Ah, see I was thinking you guys were looking for something more like this type:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71NyxhWCv0L._AC_SL1174_.jpg

Bill Dufour
05-22-2020, 11:14 PM
Robertson in red, Phillips in purple, torx in tan, allen-hex in a awful color of your choice.
Bill D

Ben Rivel
05-22-2020, 11:30 PM
Robertson in red, Phillips in purple, torx in tan, allen-hex in a awful color of your choice.
Bill D
The hell you say? They got colors assigned to kibbles n bits out there in Mo-Town?

Jim Becker
05-23-2020, 9:20 AM
Honestly, if one switches fastener types around a lot, color coded driver bits is a pretty good idea...I don't have that issue since 90% of what I use is Robertson/Square drive, but that's not going to be the same for everyone.

Adam Herman
05-23-2020, 11:02 AM
Ah, see I was thinking you guys were looking for something more like this type:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71NyxhWCv0L._AC_SL1174_.jpg

i would need one of those boxes for each style. ha.

Bill Dufour
05-23-2020, 1:57 PM
The hell you say? They got colors assigned to kibbles n bits out there in Mo-Town?

The title says organizer. Not a box to hold a mixture in random order.
Here Kibbles and Bits are four distinct colors. Are they all the same in your region. I know best foods and hellman's mayonnaise name depends on location. Kind of like Harbor freight changing the brand name after word gets around not to buy X brand tools since they are too cheap.
Bill D.
https://www.schemecolor.com/kibbles-n-bits-logo-colors.php

David Buchhauser
05-24-2020, 9:01 AM
i would need one of those boxes for each style. ha.

Nice! Where did you get it? I've got a red one that looks very similar - purchased it over 25 years ago. It also has a small ratchet with magnetic insert.
David

Joe Calhoon
05-24-2020, 7:31 PM
I’ve had several bit organizers that never were that handy to get at including the Festool one. I just made this one that sits on my mobile workstation. I can just carry it to a different location if needed.

Rege Sullivan
05-28-2020, 11:30 AM
I tried the plastic tackle/storage boxes with adjustable compartments. Worked pretty good until you dropped or tipped it over with the lid open. Now I use pill bottles. There're cheap, fit in your pocket and you tend to pull out a bit and twist the lid back on. Keep them upside down of laying on their side a a small tool box so you can see what is in them without having to pull them out of the box.

John C Ritchie
05-28-2020, 3:14 PM
Lots of great recommendations and useful tactics on this thread. Personally I like the newer Dewalt cases that can lock together, I keep about 3 general use cases stocked, with one drill case, and one “specialty” (ie Vix, countersink, Brad etc) case. These can lock to each other so with one General use, one drill bit case, and one specially I’m covered. Because I’m “organizationally challenged” I also have a “mothership box” in the basement which is large and organized by size and bit type. When things get a lil scrambled I zen out and redistribute bits to cases evenly.

I have friends who SWEAR by the pill bottle method, and it works for them, I tried it and I like this method better. You can get the dewalt cases with bits for $20 ea normally and I’ve gotten them as low as $7 w bits. I like Dewalt for Phillips and t20-25-30 so it’s worth it to me. Also like SOME of those quick change extensions they have.

Before trying pill bottle and current method I had a large organizer that never seemed to have that 1 bit in it when I needed it. Now I know if I don’t have it, it’s in one of four other boxes/organizers