PDA

View Full Version : Crosscut Sled Users...

Keith Starosta
07-10-2003, 3:38 PM
I have a question I'd like to ask all of you that use a crosscut sled. If you had a good, quality RAS, would you still use it, or even have made one in the first place? Just curious. Thanks!!

Keith

Mac McAtee
07-10-2003, 3:58 PM
I do use three different ones on my tablesaw, wide, narrow and 45° angle cuts. I don't have a RAS. I can't picture a RAS being able to make a cut as accurately as I can with a sled on a tablesaw.

Steven Wilson
07-10-2003, 4:04 PM
If I had a Northfield Unipoint then I might forgo my crosscut sled. If I had a decent sliding table saw (Felder, MiniMax, Martin, Northfield, etc) then I would definately give up my crosscut sled.

Roger Myers
07-10-2003, 6:14 PM
I have a 30 year old Dewalt RAS that I leave set to cut perfect 90 degree cuts..this is my primary crosscut tool - but - it is limited in the width of stock, a limitation that increases as stock thickness increases - so, to crosscut a 20" panel, out comes the crosscut sled....
PS to cut 45s on the RAS, I don't move the arm, I use a mitre jig on the RAS, same as you might on a table saw.

Todd Burch
07-10-2003, 8:21 PM
I wouldn't use a RAS if you paid me to. Todd.

Keith Starosta
07-10-2003, 10:19 PM

Todd,
I'm curious as to why?

Todd Burch
07-13-2003, 12:01 AM
The whole concept of how a radial arm saw works is a no-no with every other circular cutting tool that I am aware of - that of climb cutting.

Would you feed a board into your tablesaw from the outfeed side? No. Would you use a hand-held circular saw, lift the fence up out of the way, and cut with it going backwards? No. Would you feed a panel into a shaper backwards - thus making a climb cut? No. Big router? No. (well, you shouldn't!) A right angle grinder? No. Your jointer? No. etc...

So, why is it OK to do with a Radial Arm Saw? The saw wants to climb out of the wood and up your arm. It's a stupid design. Just plain stupid.

Now, ask me how I really feel!!!!

Todd. ;)

Ed Weiser
07-13-2003, 9:13 AM
Todd, I think your point about the RAS can be best compared to the SCMS. The SCMS is accurate and reasonably safe. The item being sawn in not moving (i.e. could be clamped down if you wished) and the motorized circular cutter (the saw blade) can only move within certain constrained limits. If you wish to climb cut with a router table or shaper the safest approach is to use a power feeder, with a drill you use a drill press, and so on. My understanding of the objection to RAS is the inaccuracy of cuts made with low end saws that were so common in the marketplace some years ago. Modern, higher end saws are quite a bit better now.
Just my 2 cents.

Ed Weiser

Bart Leetch
07-13-2003, 10:49 AM
Just a matter of education. Educate your mind to control your arm & you won't have a problem with the control of the RAS.

It won't power climb in the cut if you control it. I've been using one for 35 years with no problem. Keep my left hand out of the way & my right hand on the handle to control the cut.

Same for my Dad who has been a professional builder & cabinet maker for a whole lot longer than that at 81 he still has all his fingers & through many of those years the only major saws they had in shops were table saws & Radial Arm Saws. That figures out to a combined 95 years.

Look at how you use some of your other tools. You tend to use them in ways that make them safer to use. Like standing to the side where if the table saw should kick back a piece of material you won't be in the way to get hurt. Or using push pads on the Jointer so if it should kick back (yes it can kick back just ask Sophie who posts over at wood Central) the pads will get chewed up & not your fingers. Or how about the clamp on a sliding compound miter saw are you using it? You should be.

Yes we all do stupid things from time to time. If its stupid for you to use a RAS than don't use it.

There ain't a smart tool out there, thats why you've been given a brain.

Jim Becker
07-13-2003, 12:20 PM
I look at this from a functionality and space perspective as I agree with Bart about tool safety in the shop. It's certainly true that the RAS presents some issues there, but knowing how your tools work and how to control them is 95% of the battle. I wouldn't personally rip on a RAS, but can see the value for some other operations, including crosscutting dados in thick stock, like posts, for half-laps, etc.

That being said, I don't own one, nor do I have the space for one to properly use it. Since my projects are generally handled quite nicely with the CMS for rough sizing long board to bunches of shorter boards and the Incra miter guauge handles precision cutting nicely, I don't miss it. I have a panel cutter similar to the NYW version that I use for wider stock that is possible to cut on the TS and if it's wider, I use a quality blade in a hand-held circular saw with a guide to deal with the cut. If my shop were twice the size...I'd consider a RAS (but only a good one, like an old Dewalt or something new from Original Saw Company). For now, no.

Harvey Jones
07-13-2003, 1:36 PM
I have a question I'd like to ask all of you that use a crosscut sled. If you had a good, quality RAS, would you still use it, or even have made one in the first place? Just curious. Thanks!!

Keith
As with any other tool in the shop, proper setup and technique is the key.
Using a quality negative hook blade in conjunction with good saftey practices will get you very acceptable results. The Ubiquiteous RAS has been around for much longer than I have and are still found in many shops. As mentioned in the other threads, it does have it's limitations as to width but, having mine set for crosscuts only...great when preparing raw stock, I find it a very usefull tool....you either love them or hate 'em.

Byron Trantham
07-13-2003, 8:48 PM
Ed, I agree with you about the SCMS. I have DeWalt 708 (12" slider) and I am here to tell you - clamp the work down ! If the stock is completely flat I generally don't have a problem. BUT, if it has any bow in it, the saw will buck. I use my hold down for every cut. As for accuracy, I find mine quite acceptable. I make a lot of picture frames and the miters come out fine. There is one operation it can't do that I wish it could do - cut a dato. That's one feature of RAS that I consider valuable.

Phil Phelps
07-13-2003, 9:05 PM
... a $1.50, cut me some studs :D

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
07-13-2003, 9:56 PM
I've been using a SawSmith RAS (built by the Shopsmith people) for 40 plus years and never had a problem. Has variable speed and has been used as drill press, sander, etc over the years. I have ripped a zillion feet of lumber with it and never gave it a thought. Like anything else it all depends on the operator. Some folks can get hurt using a potato masher.

Ken Salisbury
07-14-2003, 12:20 AM
Many years ago I purchased a 9" Craftsman RAS which was the only major power tool I had. I later added a BS and a lathe. I had just about every accessory made for a RAS at the time including a molding head cutter. I ripped, crosscut, drilled, sanded and made molding on it. I still have a RAS to this day (not the same one). I only use the present RAS for cross cutting and have it set up for 'dead accurate' cross cuts over a 12½" width. It is actually the most used tool in the "Old Rebel Workshop".

I dug up the attached copy of an article published in the "IBM Empolyees' Newspaper" (in November 1973). Shows me working on a Grandmother Clock. At the time I had a small shop in one corner of a garage. I made lots of furniture, etc at the time using ONLY a RAS, a BS and a lathe.

I wouldn't be without my RAS ! ! even though, as you can see from my shop tour - I have a LOT of equipment now.
Don't knock it - if you haven't tried it
Well - just an old man's 2¢ worth

Jim Becker
07-14-2003, 8:37 AM
I dug up the attached copy of an article published in the "IBM Empolyees' Newspaper" (in November 1973).

Gee, Ken...you were quite a "swa-vay and de-boner" young fellow back then when you worked for the Itty Bitty Machine Company! :D Nice clock, too...

Seriously, it goes back to the truth about the difference between owning tools and being a craftsman. The latter is more important.

Dan Bussiere
07-14-2003, 9:38 AM
I also have an old Craftsman RAS. I use it, as others do, for crosscutting and dadoes. It has been my favorite worksaver, besides my dust collector. Nice to have a tool set up that makes crosscuts without the fuss of setting it up. I have always clamped my work down and use the fence for a backstop. Never had a problem,NEVER! Can't say the same thing for my table saw. Got the holes in the sheetrock to prove it will get you if your not careful.

Ken, who did you say that handsome young man was? He does great work too!
Dan

Ted Shrader
07-14-2003, 3:12 PM

Keith

Keith -

I have a Delta 12" turret arm RAS. Bought it in 1988. Used it quite a bit when I got it. RARELY use it now. In fact I don't remember the last time I used it.

The cross cut sled takes care of the precise 90° cuts. Most used tool I have built.

Good luck,
Ted