PDA

View Full Version : An afternoon at the Antique Center

steven c newman
05-17-2020, 9:25 AM
And, I had to keep moving, else they'd place a price tag on me. :eek: There is a place in the small town called Harmony, OH. There is an Antique Center called Heart of Ohio, corner of US 40, and I-70, just east of Springfield, OH. I think there are about 8 buildings, all connected into one HUGE store. If'n it be an Antique, you could find it in at least one of the aisles, and maybe several.

Had some Birthday Money to spend..:D..made the trip with my son and two grandsons. Walked around for about 3 hours....they did have a Cafe, but it was closed, for now. You did have to wear a mask, while in the store. I was also using a cane, to help a sore knee. So, since I took my little camera along, this time.....maybe a few photos?
I think this was one of the stalls I started looking through....though there was a higher priced one not far from the entrance..
Then hiding in a corner..
That backsaw did have a mitre box...sitting on the floor..
Turn away from that..
Hmmm, nothing here I need...
There is one brace missing from this display...
A Buck Rogers #1950 Brace came home with me, along with that #170 push drill..
Yes, it says $500...and if you didn't care for this vise...on the same table..
There was a couple stalls that were nothing BUT Blacksmith's tools.. others were filled with OLD weapons, or uniforms. Furniture of all styles.
There seems to be a rule, though....stay tuned to find out about that...:D

steven c newman
05-17-2020, 9:44 AM
Ok, that "Rule"? IF things are inside a locked, glass case....expect a higher price ( have to pay for the case..)
And..
When there is 3 digits after the $ sign, for a block plane...
And a Stanley #4-1/2 ( red arrow) is $175, and the 5-1/4 beside it is $225.....NO, I did not buy any more block planes..
This little Fillister was in the $300 range....
Stanley #90, price tag said $95....
Spent a lot of time, just walking through the aisles....stopped to talk to one of the stall's owners. And even spent some money in his stall...
Plus a couple chisels. There was, in an earlier stall, a Fulton Jack plane .....with a badly broken handle..$45? The Sargent #414c I bought was the same price, and I even got a 10% discount!
Didn't need any of these 3 planes....Metallic had a badly cracked knob. Didn't care for the Stanley Gage.
Wound up at the check-out counter.....a bit tired, a bit loaded down, basket full was getting heavy. Total for the afternoon? $98.03 counting sales tax. And..I still had enough to treat the boys out for supper!

So, if you happen to be in the area, plan on at least an hour of walking around in this place. Place is called: Heart of Ohio Antique Center. They do require that you wear a mask while in the store.
Admission and parking is free.

Tony Zaffuto
05-17-2020, 10:24 AM
Since I have several customers in Springfield, I've stopped their multiple times in the past. Can't recall if I ever bought anything: not because there is nothing to buy, but because I've never had sufficient time to dig/explore. The place is HUGE!

brian zawatsky
05-17-2020, 6:15 PM
I must say that I am currently very envious of your ability to peruse an antique mall. I'm in Pennsylvania and everything here is closed except the big box stores :mad:

steven c newman
05-17-2020, 9:32 PM
They had just re-opened on May 12.....normal hours. Their Cafe is still closed. You do have to wear a mask, and social distance....

David Carroll
05-18-2020, 10:32 AM
What a cool place (from the pictures). We have some Antique Centers here in CT but none with tools like that. Prices are all over the place too! I once saw an old, rusty post-WWII Stanley No. 5 with a price tag of $125! I asked the owner how she figured out her prices, she said she checked Ebay for similar items that sold. At the same store I bought a new old stock James Swan 1-3/4 chisel for $15.00!

Go figure.

I find my best bargains at Yard Sales (we call them tag sales here in CT) and estate sales. This year though, due to the C-19, nobody is really having them. Hopefully soon!

DC

Lee Schierer
05-18-2020, 11:40 AM
There is a similar place in Salamaca, NY called the Salamaca Antique Mall that is 30,000 square feet with 1,000 dealers. You can't walk through this place in under 3-4 hours. I noticed the same phenomenon with regard to tools in glass cases. There seemed to be an extra digit in every price tag.

Josh Robinson
05-18-2020, 6:32 PM
I envy you guys up north in this respect. If you find a tool in an antique mall in Florida it’s probably a rusted out or dried and split and $100....

steven c newman
05-19-2020, 10:33 PM
Have cleaned up most of the tools I brought back home. Need to sharpen the Fulton Special, and the iron for the No. 4.......Buck Rogers drill was cleaned and oiled up
Model No. 1950....because that was when it came out. 10" sweep

The push drill is from the Millers Falls V-Line of tools, and is a No. 170....

IF it ever stops raining around this neck of the woods for a weekend....yard sales might begin, again.

Bob Jones 5443
05-20-2020, 1:44 AM
I must say that I am currently very envious of your ability to peruse an antique mall. I'm in Pennsylvania and everything here is closed except the big box stores :mad:

Brian, that's because you're in northEAST PA, not northwest. Your county will go yellow soon. Good luck! I'm rooting for you.

Bob

Rob Luter
05-20-2020, 7:51 AM
I've been to that store. Lots of wishful thinking on the part of many sellers. There was a booth last time I was there that had great deals on draw knives. There were several in like new condition in the $20-$30 range. I was nearly tempted to pick up a spare, but I'd already found a nice one at a prior stop.

Mike Null
05-20-2020, 11:19 AM
That's my neck of the woods. I rarely saw the place open when I was passing through on my way to Columbus. For those who are considering a trek in that direction note that the spectacular Air Force Museum is just minutes west of there at Wright Patterson AFB.