PDA

View Full Version : Kayak building

David Wilson
12-27-2005, 3:25 PM
I just ordered plans for the Guillemot 14' Great Auk. Been studying up on strip built kayaks for a few years. Know a couple guys who have built them and seen there setups. Any of you who have any expertise in strip building? Help will be apreciated.

Kurt Loup
12-27-2005, 3:46 PM
I've built a couple canoes and kayaks. What would you like to know?

Kurt

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/outerisland-650x207.jpg

David Wilson
12-27-2005, 4:04 PM
I guess the first question is what is the best material to use for the strongback? Ply,mdf, or other sugestions. And what is the best material for the beam that the frames are mounted on?

Kurt Loup
12-27-2005, 5:37 PM
I used 1/2" ply to make the strongback called for in the plans on the Guillemot I built. Below is a picture of the strongback mounted to a 2x6 stand prior to adding the forms. Sorry about the size. Notice that I can lift the strongback off of the uprights so that the boat can be lifted from the stand. Cradles to place the kayak in will be screwed to the uprights while stripping the deck. I screwed the uprights to the metal sawhorses for additional support. The plywood on the top of the sawhorses makes a handy work surface and a place to hold strips while stripping the deck and hull. I'd avoid MDF for the forms as it doesn't have very good staple holding power on edge. I find that it is easiest to work on the boat when you are working at about chest level. Any lower and my back will be aching. When I am planning to build a boat, I frequent the culled wood section of my local Home Depot. When they trim plywood for customers, the off cuts are marked down substantially. I pick up whatever pieces of 3/4" ply is marked down. It's best to check on Monday after a weekend of cutting.

Kurt

http://www.geocities.com/kurtloup/strongback_setup.jpg

Peter Lyon
12-27-2005, 7:40 PM
I've done this a couple of different ways -- the first few times I used plywood and it worked satisfactory but was a bit fussy to ititially set up. The last time I went to my local lumber yard and picked up a 19" deep (?) leftover wood I-beam from their boneyard. If memory serves (and it seldom does:) ), a 20' long beam was was about $20. Maybe I was just lucky but the I-beam was perfectly straight right from the get go and was much stronger along its length.

One advantage to living in the (great:D) Pacific Northwest is the ready access to 20' long clear old growth western red cedar.

PS - FWIW, I've made various (3) kayaks and a canoe (both cedar strip built and stitch-n-tape plywood methods).

Good luck and keep the questions coming!

John Bailey
12-27-2005, 8:09 PM
David,

I've got the plans for a Redfish Spring Run. It's a 17' 9"X 24" sea kayak. I'll be starting it as soon as my shop is done, probably early spring. I built an 8 ft. stitch and glue dingy for my sailboat and helped a student with his 17 ft. kayak. So, I'll be watching your progress. Keep us posted.

John