PDA

View Full Version : Unifence Rail Questions/Need

Jacob Thomsen
05-15-2020, 3:33 PM
Good day Sawmill folks,

I recently bought what I thought was a complete Unifence (I believe the older model). However, I've come to find out that it is missing the main rail. I have the fence and mounting brackets.

I'm aware, after doing (late) research, that there are two different models. 34-897 and 36-906. Please feel free to correct me in that area.

My question is this: would I be able to use the rail from either model to complete my setup?

I would also like to ask if anyone has one they would be willing to part ways with? If not I can always purchase online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated considering I'm without a fence working fence on my table saw.

Thank you,

Jacob

Jim Becker
05-15-2020, 6:27 PM
I could be mistaken, but I thought there was a difference in the extrusions between the two models.

Great fence, BTW...the best one ever available on a North American style saw, IMHO.

John Stankus
05-15-2020, 9:57 PM
I don't know anything about that fence, but ereplacement parts shows the same part number for the rail for both of those models. (36-150 for $240.31)

John

Andy D Jones
05-16-2020, 12:20 AM
There are two kinds of Unifence rail extrusions, one is black anodized aluminum, the other is apparently clear-anodized aluminum. There is only one rail, and it mounts on the front edge of the saw table. There is no rear rail.

The head that goes on the black anodized rail has two black 1/2" diameter set screws in gray rectangular bosses towards the ends the front edge of the fence head. These screws are adjusted to make the fence parallel to the blade. I have this version of the Unifence (and I like it a lot!). Here is a link to a picture of it: http://benchmark.20m.com/articles/UnifenceVersusBessy/Unifence.gif

The head that goes on the clear anodized rail has large circular bosses for the set screws, toward the ends of the front side of the fence head. Guessing from a picture, they appear to be well over an inch in diameter. Here is a link to an image of this version:
https://static.woodmagazine.com/styles/width_360/s3/s3fs-public/product_images/_deltaunifence_1324568653.jpg

I don't know if the heads and rails are interchangeable.

I will warn you that Unifence rails are hard to come by, especially without the associated head. Apparently they are more subject to damage than the Unifence heads, and any irregularity in the front of the rail affects the alignment of the blade to the fence at that location.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

John Gornall
05-16-2020, 1:22 AM
The older extrusion is a little more awkward to install on the saw as the bolt position is fixed. The instructions are to cut some cardboard strips a certain length to push the nuts to the correct position in the extrusion. The newer rail has a tee slot and it slides onto the bolt heads. Allows the rail to be positioned left/right on the saw. The head will fit either.

Set up correctly the head rides on 5 plastic slides - 2 on the front align the fence parallel to blade - 2 on the top adjust fence square to table - one on the end is just a support. When I place the fence on the head I place a rule under it before tightening the knobs so the fence doesn't touch the table - then it slides easily. And always clean and waxed.

Used a Unifence in a guys shop, liked it so bought one for my old contractors saw 30 years ago - 5 years later bought a Unisaw.

Mike Kees
05-16-2020, 11:22 AM
There is a third head type. I have one of the first Unifences made on my Rockwell Unisaw. My saw is somewhere in the 40 year old range and my Unifence did not have the adjusting screws in the bosses instead it had arborite pads glued on the fence contacting part. I drilled and tapped it to convert to the newer style. Fence rail was also anodized black as well as the fence itself. Also came with a 12" fence piece, black as well. I have seen the newer rails but all my experience is with the older style,and yes I have played with cardboard and wire etc to get the nuts where they needed to be for inserting studs. My favorite fence by far.

Mike Kees
05-16-2020, 11:25 AM
Jacob I found one on the auction site about a year ago,think I paid $100 ,it was a 32''.

Jacob Thomsen
05-18-2020, 10:46 AM
Thank you all for the replies!

I'm keeping my eye out for one of the black anodized rails. If you happen to see one let me know. Any leads are greatly appreciated!

-Jacob

Charles Lent
05-19-2020, 9:07 AM
You won't need or want this, until you get your Unifence together and on your saw, but Peachtree Woodworking sells a Uni-T-Fence extrusion for the Unifence.

This fence extrusion swaps out with the original fence just by loosening the wing nuts on the Unifence, so you can easily use either the hi-lo abilities of the original fence, or switch to the Uni-T-Fence extrusion when you want T slots for attaching feather boards, etc. They also sell a 16" long version of it for use as a stop when cutting pieces to length while using the miter gauge, or possibly use it like a European style short fence. They don't seem to list this short version in their catalog for the saw accessories any more, but a search for "Uni-T-Fence" will bring them up. A 36" (Item #1112) and a 43" (Item #1113) are available, as well as the 16" (Item #1111) but this 16" length is now only offered in pairs for use as a drill press fence - Maybe you can talk them into selling just one, or find a friend to buy the other. www.ptreeusa.com

The effort to find the rest of your Unifence is well worth it. Have you gone back to the seller and asked where it is? I would start there. Those two angles look to me like part of the side table. Maybe he has that table too and thought the Unifence rail was part of it. I love my Unifence, but have to use a worn out Biesmeyer at work. They won't buy a used Unifence, but would buy a new one, if they were still available new.

Charley