PDA

View Full Version : inlay expansion question

Tim Wirtz
12-27-2005, 12:31 PM
I am bulding a coffee table/kotatsu (japanese low table) out of solid walnut. The table top will be made out of 3 twelve inch slabs, about 7/8 inch thick. I would like to inlay a ribbon of flame Maple, about 3/4 inch wide, around the top about 3 inches in from the edge. If I make the maple band about 1/16 inch thick, will I run into any problems when the walnut expands across the with of the table (about 3 feet)?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tim

tod evans
12-28-2005, 6:55 AM
tim, in my experience the grain of the inlay must run with the grain of the substraight or it will delaminate over time. 02 tod

Tim Wirtz
12-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Thanks, Tod. I suppose I could make the inlay grain go with the walnut grain along the ends of the boards. I was hoping that if I had thin enough inlay material, it would move with the walnut.

cheers,

Tim

Alan Turner
12-29-2005, 4:55 AM
My impression is that if the inlay is quite narrow, and thin, perhaps up to 3/16" or 1/4" wide, it would not be a problem, but as to the 3/4" wide band, that could be an issue I would think. Why the narrow ones work and the wider ones don't I don't quite understnad, but a look a Federal period inlays seems to prove that the narrow ones are not a problem.

tod evans
12-29-2005, 8:36 AM
as alan says there are quite a few federal pieces that have cross grain inlays that stay put. if i where to try spanning 36" with a cross grain inlay i would use hide glue mixed with glycerin as this is a trick used during the federal period to give the glue "elastic" properties...good luck and keep us posted. tod