PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Apron/Farmhouse Box Design and small kitchen

John Bridgestone
05-13-2020, 11:19 AM
Hello,

I have learned a great deal from the talented folks here over the years. I have been mostly absent over the past couple years building out my small timber frame workshop. It is small and I am trying to get my kitchen completed. As you can see from the drawings, my constraints are sizeable but I have to make it work. I have a 24" range and a small 24" refrigerator for under the counter. I am going to go with a small 24" apron sink and I need to figure out how to approach the box/carcass design. I have seen apron boxes with support rails and side panels to support the countertop. Could the box for the sink be a platform with one side panel? My sketchup skills are decent so I can iterate but I thought I would ask for a couple thoughts... Sorry for the dumb questions. Homesteading in a pandemic is NOT FUN.

-The faucet placement is probably a bad idea. Just riffing.
-The boxes will probably be face frameless. I know it's not optimal.
-Butcher block will use magnets on top of the refrigerator.

Thanks in advance.

John432815

Jamie Buxton
05-13-2020, 11:38 AM
I'd consider mounting the faucet to the wall. It kinda depends upon the design of the sink - is there a surface at the rear for the faucet? Fasten the stopcocks to the house wall, below the sink. Bring the waste pipe up inside the wall too.

I don't understand why you'd make the sink base with only one side. Use two sides and a back. The back is important because it stops the base from racking. Two sides means the heavy sink is supported well.

Jim Becker
05-13-2020, 12:26 PM
If that's not an outside wall, I agree with Jamie about considering a wall mount faucet. There are less choices for that on the market, but for this particular situation, it may be just the ticket. As to the construction need for the sink cabinet, you'll need the actual sink to fully determine that.

John Bridgestone
05-13-2020, 12:50 PM
These are helpful recommendations. I did a more technical mockup showing more than just rough geometry (but still pretty rough).

I will do another redraw with a wall mount faucet. Rough plumbing is already in place but I have not put the drywall up.

I think I do have a little space for the faucet behind but I am definitely tight... Boat-type tolerances.