PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe

Scott Welty
05-13-2020, 8:12 AM
Hello-
My new JET midi lathe arrived yesterday. Set up was pretty easy. I'm a new turner and have also purchased these carbide tools (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YXNYD96/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1). Having nothing to compare them to I was wondering what the opinions are out there on these tools. I thought carbide tools were flat on the bottom to rest on the tool rest and go straight into the middle of the block. These have a round shaft. They also seem shorter than other tools at ~16". I can still send them back but I did cut a 2" block down to round with them and they seem to work fine. Again....nothing for me to compare them too.

Other questions
1. I assume the square cutter to reduce square bland to round or better to use the round one?
2. I read that a chuck isn't necessary for a lot of work. At what point might I want a chuck and which one for this lathe?
Thanks!
Scott Welty

William McAloney
05-13-2020, 10:42 AM
As a relatively new turner (<2 years), I have been through many of the decisions you are facing.
I initially chose "cheap" HSS tools and a mediocre sharpening system. After a few months I decided to try carbide and so purchased the Easy Wood Tools rougher and finisher. After giving them a trial, I have put them away and will probably sell them at some point. I feel there is nothing that can compare to the performance of a well-sharpened HSS tool.
I have invested in a Wolverine system with CBN wheel and have begun purchasing high quality tools, beginning with some Thompson bowl gouges. Soon I plan to add some M42 cryo tools.
The carbide tools you purchased appear to be low quality Chinese manufactured items. I don't wish to disparage them, but you probably should give them a good trial of a few months, meanwhile saving up for something better. Perhaps somewhere along the way you will have an opportunity to try some better tools. Once you do, you will probably come to feel that carbide doesn't match up to steel.
Just my $.02
Welcome to the vortex.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-13-2020, 5:14 PM
Welcome!
Nice lathe to start with! I've turned on it.
Carbide cutters themselves, are not all made equal. The good thing is that if you buy a "good" brand insert, it may fit your tool. I don't particularly like them but I do use them, the set is a good start. You would probably be limited to mostly spindle work.
2 regular tools you should add is a roughing gouge and a parting tool. With those 2 and your set you can get a lot of turning done.

As far as a chuck, no you don't NEED one, you can get by using the face plate and waste blocks. A chuck makes things a whole lot easier.

Practice practice practice. You may be happy with carbides, or later, you may want to pick up traditional tools. And a sharpening system.
Oh, see if there is a turning club nearby and join them. Well, after this CV-19 stuff passes by.