PDA

View Full Version : tool carousel

John Harris
12-27-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm thinking of building a "grinder/sanding station". The concept that I have in my head is a carousel type of table top that can be rotated to put the proper grinder/buffer/sander in the front.

Has any one built anything close to this before?

The comprehensive index for Shop Notes list one in issue 35, pages 16-23. Of course this is an issue that I don't have and the Shop Notes web site does not offer any more. Does any one have a picture of this unit? Does it look like something I am trying to describe?

Thanks for any and all input!

John

Lee DeRaud
12-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Probably overkill, but something like this?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21506

Wes Bischel
12-27-2005, 11:16 AM
John,
I remember someone else doing a rotating table - lazy susan style a while back - possibly inspired by Shop Notes. The one criticism of this style is the large footprint. Another possibility is the flip top stands. There are a number of posts concerning flip top stands. Most are based on plans from Wood Magazine.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11844&highlight=flip+stand

Do a search on "flip top stand" or "flip top tool stand"
FWIW,
Wes

John Harris
12-27-2005, 12:32 PM
Lee, I like that! I actually saw this post when I was cruising through classifieds. I didn't pay attention to it, though, thinking "rotary tool" was like "dremel tool". I just didn't look closely enough.

Wes, flip tops were my first line of thinking. 2 tools. Lee has me up to 3 tools. How many can you really get to?

Assuming a grinder or buffer footprint is relatively small, would a hexagonal rotary table be too outragous?

Lee DeRaud
12-27-2005, 2:15 PM
Lee, I like that! I actually saw this post when I was cruising through classifieds. I didn't pay attention to it, though, thinking "rotary tool" was like "dremel tool". I just didn't look closely enough.

Wes, flip tops were my first line of thinking. 2 tools. Lee has me up to 3 tools. How many can you really get to?

Assuming a grinder or buffer footprint is relatively small, would a hexagonal rotary table be too outragous?Can't tell without drawing it up, but I suspect that with anything over three, the geometry of the thing (the path the corners take as it rotates) makes the footprint a lot bigger than necessary. (Not to mention the height.)

But something the size of that Sears unit would probably work with two grinder-sized tools on each face...too bad they don't make them anymore.

Jamie Buxton
12-27-2005, 2:44 PM
Can't tell without drawing it up, but I suspect that with anything over three, the geometry of the thing (the path the corners take as it rotates) makes the footprint a lot bigger than necessary. (Not to mention the height.)

But something the size of that Sears unit would probably work with two grinder-sized tools on each face...too bad they don't make them anymore.

Instead of rotating stuff sideways, which does seem to take a big footprint, how 'bout going up and down? I'm thinking dumb waiter or elevator.

Lee DeRaud
12-27-2005, 3:37 PM
Instead of rotating stuff sideways, which does seem to take a big footprint, how 'bout going up and down? I'm thinking dumb waiter or elevator.I can't visualize the mechanism. If each tool just pops up to the surface (filling its own "hole" when not in use), the footprint is the total of the individual tools, plus it's limited to tools that access from the front, not the top.

Or are you thinking in terms of how a sewing machine table works: cover hinges out of the way, tool swivels up from below?

Jamie Buxton
12-27-2005, 4:20 PM
I can't visualize the mechanism. If each tool just pops up to the surface (filling its own "hole" when not in use), the footprint is the total of the individual tools, plus it's limited to tools that access from the front, not the top.

Or are you thinking in terms of how a sewing machine table works: cover hinges out of the way, tool swivels up from below?

For example, say you want to have access to four tools. Put them on shelves in a vertical stack. Now (magic happens here:) ) make the whole stack so it can go up and down. When you're working on the lowest tool in the stack, the other three are in the air above it. When you're working on the second tool, there's one below and two above, and so on. The footprint is only that of one tool.

Lee DeRaud
12-27-2005, 4:29 PM
...(magic happens here:) )...When someone says "magic" in connection with "woodworking", the only thing I can ever think of is "hand-cut dovetails".:p

John Harris
12-27-2005, 4:42 PM
I like the way you think, Jamie. I can picture it.

Assuming an eight foot ceiling, then the four shalves would have to be a tad more than 13 1/2 inches apart. I like the concept, but that might be a little cramped for each tool.

The imagination is there though. That's how this crazy idea is going to go somewhere!

Frank Chaffee
12-27-2005, 5:18 PM
...Because I was also thinking along those lines.

A circularly moving belt like a grain elevator.

A pit below and a tower above.

First the bandsaw, then jointer and planer, tablesaw etc.

Thru the finishing stations with spray booth being last in line.

Machines would all be cleaned by gravity while they were upside down.

Could even add a shaker here.

Sorry,
Frank

Frank Chaffee
12-27-2005, 5:27 PM
But John,
It would require so very little floor space!
Frank

George Summers
12-27-2005, 5:29 PM
Sears used to have a triangular 'flip-top' unit. It held three tools and rotated each to the top for use. I don't know if they still offer it or if you could find a used one somewhere, but the concept was good.

George

Frank Chaffee
12-27-2005, 6:12 PM
John,
Seriously this time, ‘Creeker Bart Leetch has built under-cabinet machine storage where the machine is mounted in a drawer and raises to working height via an air bladder. Very innovative!

‘Creeker Tony Falotico has built high cabinet “drawers” that pull out to expose shelves on both sides of them!!!

Lots of good space saving stuff here.

Frank

Kurt Strandberg
12-27-2005, 8:17 PM

Assuming a grinder or buffer footprint is relatively small, would a hexagonal rotary table be too outragous?
The one on this page, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21506 is mine, I was using one table for a Compound Mitre Saw, and one for a Scroll Saw, and the other table for a flat work area

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/kurtsara/DSCN2903.jpg

John Bailey
12-27-2005, 8:50 PM
John,

Bob Noles did a "flip top" table a bit ago. I think if you check his past threads you'll find it.

John