PDA

View Full Version : Another wood identifying question?????

Doug Jones
07-10-2003, 1:43 PM
What is this wood type, please? (http://www.angelfire.com/de3/dojo/images/wood/woodtype.JPG)

The link above is a picture of some wood I have available to me. I just need to go get it. If you have time can you go to the link and tell me what type of wood it is (I was told Oak but not sure about my source). The pics may not be the best but I was hoping for a little help. This wood is also VERY heavy and hard.
Thanks for any help provided

Dave Arbuckle
07-10-2003, 1:53 PM
Looks like White Oak from here, Doug. In the upper left corner of the face shot you can see the distinctive (though not unique) medullary rays. They are also prominent in the end grain shot.

Unless that's a really big piece, it also looks like it was slower growing than most I've seen lately.

Dave

Brad Schafer
07-10-2003, 2:19 PM
based on the bark snippet and the graining of the wood (color is hard to figure), it sure looks like oak - but red, not white. in my experience, white has a tighter grain.

based on the end shot/cut, i'd bet that sucker will twist like crazy if/when you rip it down.

b

Mike Mastin
07-10-2003, 2:58 PM
It looks like White Oak to me.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-10-2003, 3:34 PM
White oak I think, but this opinion is worth no more than what you paid for it.

chaddhamilton
07-10-2003, 3:46 PM
That is white oak.

Dave Arbuckle
07-10-2003, 3:49 PM
Telling White Oak from Red is very simple, if you can get a piece about six inches long. Trying blowing on it, like through a straw. Red Oak will be relatively easy, White Oak pretty much impossible.

Um, might be best to either explain what you're doing first, or doing it where no one can see... ;)

Dave

Doug Jones
07-10-2003, 4:51 PM
Thanks to all that replied and will reply. By majority ruling so far, looks like white oak wins. However what is Brad talking about the wood twisting when I rip it. How can one tell? Obviously I don't know my wood type yet.