PDA

View Full Version : Added swivel casters and raised my new to me Unisaw!

Eric Arnsdorff
05-10-2020, 10:42 PM
I recently purchased a Delta 36-L552 unisaw which was a little over 4 years old.
It needed a new extension table and the mobile base was difficult to move around in my small shop. It also was much lower than my work table.
I added some nice swivel casters and removed the unidirectional ones that came with mobile base. I also raised the saw approximately 4” to match my work table height.
I had a nice router table top so I put it in the middle of the new table. It all came out well. Of course, it took me a lot more work than expected. But it was worth it!
It now moves with ease. Much easier than I expected for a 650+# saw!

Frederick Skelly
05-11-2020, 6:49 AM
Nice improvement!

Jim Becker
05-11-2020, 9:30 AM
Seems to be a good upgrade for you...both getting a more optimal height and more mobility. Nice job!

Just be sure you can fully lock things down when it's parked and cutting wood. Even minor movement can be an issue for cutting and potentially safety. I see leveling legs in one photo, but hopefully, those casters are double locking. I can't tell from the photos.

Eric Arnsdorff
05-12-2020, 12:15 AM
Thanks!
I'm very happy with all of it. The Unisaw is an incredibly nice saw. It's solid and saws so much better than my previous saw.
The casters worked much better than expected. After trying some with the foot pedal that failed miserably even though it wasn't near the advertised load rating, I ordered these from HD and they work great. Both casters have the ability to extend the rubber pad and they hold the saw firmly in place. I use it more as a brake rather than a leveler. I made sure everything was level when I built the structure to hold the casters.