PDA

View Full Version : Corian/Solid surface inquiry

Mike Wilkins
12-27-2005, 9:56 AM
My first project with solid surface has posed a question for me. If any one out there in woodbutcher land has any experience with this material, please chime in.
What is the best way to shine this material??? I have considered some options which include: automotive polishing compound, plain ole wax, some type of finish such as poly or oil.
Thanks for your help.

Glenn Clabo
12-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Mike,
Sanding to super fine and polishing with automobile clear coat rubbing compound worked for me. I actually got the counter too shiny (reflected every little scratch) and had to dull it with a "greenie" pad. I think if you google "Corian & Solid Surface Sanding Supplies" you get some results that is specific for Corian. There's someone out there that's into scroll sawing and sells kits.

Keith Outten
12-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Mike,

You can use regular abrasive disks on an ROS or 3M makes a special set of plastic sanding disks called Trizact that are made for wet sanding using an ROS. Once the abrasive disk work is done you can use buffing compounds and wheels to bring Corian to any level of shine you prefer.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/manufacturing_industry/abrasives/node_GSQRN9TDMVbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_J1299GV0RKge/gvel_902CRQH4MHgl/theme_us_superabrasivescatalog_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

If you decide the Trizact disks are what you want note that there is an adapter disk that converts your ROS hook and loop to the newer Hook and Loop II for the Trizact disks. Although Trizact disks will outlast sandpaper, if you are just an occasional user of solid surface materials sandpaper will do the job.

The Novus polishing 3 step system works well on Corian after sanding and there is a special polish made for solid surface materials that is sold at the Borg.

Ken Dolph
12-28-2005, 9:25 AM
Mike,

It is unnecessary to add any finishing to Corian. As Keith said you just sand and buff it to any level you want.

I checked out the Trizact with the duPont people here whan duPont first recomended them. They were not as long lasting and filled faster than Bosch RSM.

http://www.boschtools.com/BoschToolsCMS/pop-ups/accessories-det-print.aspx?H=178159&G=55204

I use 60 micron followed by 30 Micron followed by 15 Micron. Then I like 2500 grit 3M Wet o Dry (which is available at Automotive Finish suppliers). Finaly for the top shine I like steps 3 then 2 of the Novus system.

I prefer to do all steps wet. That keeps the dust down and makes the job go faster. An unusual thing about Corian is that it cuts very fast when the surface is cool but as the first .001" is heated through friction it becomes soft enough to move while sanding. It is then like sanding a ruber inner tube. I know that many have experienced this and not understood why it sands fast for the first few seconds. Water keeps this from happening.

If you would like the package "How to Work with Corian in the Home Workshop" Just contact me - it is free. Included in the package is the booklet of the same name from duPont.

I hope this helps
Ken