PDA

View Full Version : Crazy PPE

Ole Anderson
05-09-2020, 10:39 PM
My son goes back to work tomorrow on a project at Comerica Park in Detroit. Here is the PPE he will be required to wear. He is a union ironworker. 432628

Andrew Seemann
05-09-2020, 10:59 PM
Does he fly an X-wing or Y-wing fighter?

Kev Williams
05-10-2020, 12:16 AM
A little googling found these high school football helmets...

These helmets, and even 'normal' football helmets are probably more 'inconvenient' to wear than that full-on face/nose/mouth mask above, but few are the football players rallying against football helmets as infringing on their personal freedom ;)

The PPE above and football helmets are designed to keep your chanced of dying to a minimum. This is a good thing :)

Jim Koepke
05-10-2020, 1:18 AM
That may be the kind of PPE people will be wearing on airlines and other public transit if this covid-19 goes on much longer.

jtk

Jon Grider
05-10-2020, 8:34 AM
Man I know he''ll be anxious to get that off after a shift of work. I feel like I'm suffocating after an hour with just an N95. Stay safe and healthy.

Bob Grier
05-10-2020, 8:48 AM
Does it have some sort of filter system or is it intended to serve some other purpose like keep you from touching your face?

Ole Anderson
05-10-2020, 8:53 AM
Does it have some sort of filter system or is it intended to serve some other purpose like keep you from touching your face?

Good question, I just noticed in the pic (not my son), there was no mask. I presume some sort of mouth/nose covering is required. Not sure how the whole rig works. I will check tomorrow when he finishes the day.

Jamie Buxton
05-10-2020, 11:30 AM
How does that thing work with glasses?

Jamie Buxton
05-10-2020, 11:34 AM
Somebody has chosen the wrong mask. That mask does a terrific job of protecting the users eyes -- sealing all around -- but provides no protection for the users lungs. Covid attacks the lungs.

Keith Outten
05-10-2020, 11:50 AM
Honestly I would not want to wear that device working up in the air. Anything that restricts your vision in any way would be dangerous IMO. FWIW I worked high bay steel on a power plant many years ago and I remember having to watch closely as people walked past each other on a single beam and when material was being moved by cranes it was imperative to keep your eyes scanning for anything that would cause a fall. Add to that the upcoming hot weather which will make it much more difficult to remain attentive.

I have had my share of reactor containment entries that required just about every type of respirator that exists but I never had to work up high while wearing a protective device. I've worked through many shifts in extremely hot conditions where my mask filled with sweat that could not be drained in a contaminated area.

I seriously doubt that Union Ironworkers will wear that device, most won't even tie off at very high elevations.

Edwin Santos
05-10-2020, 12:37 PM
Somebody has chosen the wrong mask. That mask does a terrific job of protecting the users eyes -- sealing all around -- but provides no protection for the users lungs. Covid attacks the lungs.

Yeah, I think someone is pulling someone's leg.

John Makar
05-10-2020, 1:23 PM
That was my take. It looks suspiciously like a paintball setup.

Brian Elfert
05-10-2020, 3:49 PM
I saw someone at a store the other day who had safety glasses, gloves, and a face mask on. I think if you are that worried about COVID-19 that you might want to consider grocery delivery or grocery pickup.

Kev Williams
05-10-2020, 8:17 PM
I saw someone at a store the other day who had safety glasses, gloves, and a face mask on. I think if you are that worried about COVID-19 that you might want to consider grocery delivery or grocery pickup.

Todays stats:

United States, 1,360,000 confirmed covid cases divided by 80,562 deaths = 1 person dies every 16.88 confirmed cases-

Worldwide, 4,100,000 cases / 282,000 deaths, 1 dies in 14.54 cases...

We have 16 grandkids. By these odds, if all were to contract covid-19, one of them is likely to die... Me, I'm plenty worried...

Malcolm McLeod
05-10-2020, 8:37 PM
Todays stats:

United States, 1,360,000 confirmed covid cases divided by 80,562 deaths = 1 person dies every 16.88 confirmed cases-

Worldwide, 4,100,000 cases / 282,000 deaths, 1 dies in 14.54 cases...

We have 16 grandkids. By these odds, if all were to contract covid-19, one of them is likely to die... Me, I'm plenty worried...

Or another way to look at it is 0.4% of US population and 0.05% of the world population has 'it', or perhaps had it. ...give or take a hundredth or so.

Brian Elfert
05-11-2020, 7:32 AM

My point is why not stay home if you think you need that level of protection to go out in public? The women was with another person so presumably that other person could have done the shopping.

A lot of the medical experts think that there have been many cases of COVID-19 where people were never tested which would reduce the fatality percentage. A round of antibody testing in New York City showed that around 20% have had COVID-19. Here in Minnesota about 80% of the deaths have been 75 and above. Personally, I wear a mask in public and am careful to keep my six feet, but I still go to stores if I need something. I am working on a big project that means going to Menards and Home Depot several times per week. I had to go to five different Menards stores to get five pieces of trim because the stock had been wiped out. Most stores just had a few pieces of firewood left. I finally got smart and checked the Menards website and found a store that showed 50 pieces in stock and was able to get five nice pieces of trim.

Jamie Buxton
05-11-2020, 9:31 AM
Or another way to look at it is 0.4% of US population and 0.05% of the world population has 'it', or perhaps had it. ...give or take a hundredth or so.

True, as of today. However, it seems that even with social distancing, new infections keep happening. And there's no reason for the spread to slow or halt. So eventually nearly everybody will be infected, and the deaths-per-infection number is quite relevant.

Ole Anderson
05-11-2020, 9:09 PM
So, Jay used the face shield today, said it wasn't too bad, but it was cool today. They do wear a mask with it if they are working within 6 feet of another person.