PDA

View Full Version : Used Delta 36-725 Table Saw

Scott Winter
05-09-2020, 2:20 PM
I am going to go look at a used Delta 36-725 off of Craigslist. Seems there aren't many decent cabinet saws in my area on the 2nd hand market, and this one is listed for $400 which I am sure I can haggle down another $50-100'ish.

Anyone with feedback on this particular saw? It's a 1.75HP 30" version with a cast iron top, and stamped steel wings. I am very much a hobbyist so power wise I feel this will be fine. At most I would probably be ripping 6/4 with the rare 8/4. I'm mainly looking to build cutting boards, smaller furniture, cabinets, etc. I'm going to start my new woodshop with a table saw, a lunchbox planer (probably a Dewalt 735), and dust collection.

Jamie Buxton
05-09-2020, 3:11 PM
If you are looking for a cabinet saw, this isn't. This one is a contractor saw.

Steve Eure
05-09-2020, 4:01 PM
Definitely not a cabinet saw. That particular saw is marketed for Lowe's and is on the same footprint as Delta's 36-5000 series contractor saws, but with less features and a smaller motor. It is a good saw for the money, but $400 for a used one is a bit much in my opinion unless it is immaculate and almost new. I have one and didn't pay but around $480 for it 4 years ago. They are very good saws but are woefully under-powered for anything over 6/4 stock. It will cut 8/4 but you have to take it slowly and have a good sharp blade. It will tend to burn heavy cherry and maple stock. Not so much on 4/4 stock. The motor on this saw says it's a 15 amp if I'm not mistaken, but I was told it's more in the 13 amp range. Don't know the exact HP range but its supposedly in the 1 1/2 HP range.
With all that being said, I like my saw. I have several high end blades that I use on it and it does a great job for me.

Doug Garson
05-09-2020, 4:20 PM
Definitely not a cabinet saw. That particular saw is marketed for Lowe's and is on the same footprint as Delta's 36-5000 series contractor saws, but with less features and a smaller motor. It is a good saw for the money, but $400 for a used one is a bit much in my opinion unless it is immaculate and almost new. I have one and didn't pay but around $480 for it 4 years ago. They are very good saws but are woefully under-powered for anything over 6/4 stock. It will cut 8/4 but you have to take it slowly and have a good sharp blade. It will tend to burn heavy cherry and maple stock. Not so much on 4/4 stock. The motor on this saw says it's a 15 amp if I'm not mistaken, but I was told it's more in the 13 amp range. Don't know the exact HP range but its supposedly in the 1 1/2 HP range.
With all that being said, I like my saw. I have several high end blades that I use on it and it does a great job for me.
Not sure burning of cherry or maple has much to do with the saw (other than if it is misaligned), more to do with the blade (dirty, dull or wrong blade).

Scott Winter
05-09-2020, 6:41 PM

Thank you so much for the information. If I do end up going this route I'll definitely talk the person down some.

Josko Catipovic
05-10-2020, 9:45 AM
In a shop there should be one tool that's the baseline for accuracy. In mine, it's a tablesaw with a Biesemeyer fence. I cringe when I think that this could become the reference for accuracy coming out of your shop.