PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Help Needed

Keith Burns
12-27-2005, 9:43 AM
OK guys I need some help. I'm working on an aspen (very soft) bowl. I would like the piece to have a gloss finish. I started experimenting on some scrap with some sanding sealer and then buffed. No shine. Should I use several coats of poly or what? Your thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

Gary DeWitt
12-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Poly, laquer, varnish, even shellac will build to a high gloss. Depends on what you are wanting to protect the piece from. In any case, if you have a choice, such as with poly, ALWAYS use gloss, whether you want a gloss finish or not.
Then, when the final coat has cured (NOT dried, see label), you rub the finish out to a high gloss, using successively finer abrasives, finishing with rubbing and then buffing compounds, or buffing on wheels, until you reach your desired finish.
It's safer to do this with shellac or laquer, because with poly it's easy to buff or sand through one coat to the next where you will see a ring or edge between the coats. Doesn't happen with laquer or shellac, but then they are not quite as durable either.
No finish will protect a soft wood from dents, if that is your intent. The Japanese come closest to this with laquer ware, where the laquer makes up more of the piece than the wood. 50+ coats and lots of rubbing between and after.

John Hart
12-27-2005, 10:03 AM
With my limited experience Keith....my best luck with gloss has come with spray lacquer. I like the sounds of Gary's advice however. :)

Jim Becker
12-27-2005, 10:36 AM
While Poly IS varnish, it's also not the best if you want something to be shined up to a high gloss. While I agre with John that lacquer is going to give you the best shine, multiple coats of a gloss varnish (alkyd or phenolic, NOT poly) will also work. You need to build up the finish so you have something to shine first, however. And that applies to both lacquer and varnish.